The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is no one talking about the missing submarine?

Nucklehead22

22 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

The echo chamber 

booooo,

Thats not the case at all and it makes me sad to see you use such a cop out catch phrase.

As examples, I am getting no support in there when I talk about the sentient animals that most people eat and even less when I bring up the health issues relating to alcohol. I am serious about those things but those topics get mostly jokes made, usually from posters that I respect. I can take it, as I think it is important for people to hear other view points. I actually have a few ideas that might not go over so well.

If you don't agree with some of the stuff, maybe it's politics? free speech? Vaccines? get in there and say your piece. Make your voice heard, especailly on things you find important. Discussion and understanding is a part of how our society evolves.You are a smart poster and I think your contributions are worthwhile. Saying nothing, changes nothing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, chon derry said:

This is a vacuum implosion,which is assisted and wouldn’t be a continuous pressure such as a depth pressure implosion would be. And it’s relentlessly all encompassing ,(weight)   Depth pressure at 13,000 ft is 350x greater than ambient air pressure and crush’s the whole thing  ,the train car is steel, the mini sub is some kind of fibre  composite, good luck  train-fart-big-cool.gifcrushed-can.gif

There is Titanium involved. Not sure how much the structure is titanium, but at that depth. Yeah crush like a beer can.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I beg to differ my friend. 

The Table is open to all views and opinions. 

Every opinion has a counter opinion of course. 

I am unclear, how a non member, would be able to state with any certainty, just what kind of chamber The Adults Table is.

All are invited.

In the months the club has been going, I know of only one poster, that got booted by a mod.

That was for personal attacks, after multiple warnings, not for their points of view.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

There is Titanium involved. Not sure how much the structure is titanium, but at that depth. Yeah crush like a beer can.

There’s literally nothing , nothing  man made that mimics or can over power or defeat mother nature’s power. Everything is worn down, eroded rusted and washed away over time or it’s demolished instantly.  Mother nature is patient, and can’t be beaten. 

• Cheers 1

I have never been a thrill seeker, but it takes some guts to go down thousands of feet under water. 
Personally I would never get in “sarcophagus” that can dive but that’s just me.

Its like being buried alive, hopefully they find these guys alive!

This was a top comment for what I posted earlier:

As somebody who has been in the maritime industry my whole career, this is not getting enough attention.

"Classification societies" in the maritime industry are difficult to explain. Basically there are broad, minimum regulations that are developed by the International Maritime Organization (IMO, which is part of the UN). Some of these regulations are specific, but a lot are very generic. Classification societies such as DNV and ABS mentioned in this letter help develop these regulations, but they also develop specific class rules and standards on how to meet these regulations. As well as periodically surveying (a.k.a. inspecting) ships that they class to ensure compliance is maintained. They originated with Lloyd's Register basically doing insurance surveys where they graded sailing cargo ships of the 1700s for their seaworthiness, and have evolved to the point where they are now an integral part of oceanic marine commerce.

Apparently the company said they would meet class standards, and then backpedaled. As has been confirmed in a blog post of theirs were they explained their "rationale" if you want to call it that. I take particular issue with their claim:

The vast majority of marine (and aviation) accidents are a result of operator error, not mechanical failure.

Do you want to know why so few accidents are a result of mechanical failure? Because of minimum safety standards such as those in class rules on the construction, installation, and maintenance of shipboard systems.

Edit: I am from the U.S., so am most familiar with the classification society "American Bureau of Shipping" (ABS) which is mentioned in this letter. Here are some of the rules from ABS Rules for Building and Classing Underwater Vehicles, Systems, and Hyperbaric Facilities (2021), Section 11 which media reports indicate the Titan may not comply with. These rules if followed may aid in rescue operations if the vessel had chosen to follow this classification standard. (Other classes have different but similar rules and standards).

5.3) All hatches are to be operable from both internal and external sides...

27) All submersibles are to have voice communication systems providing the capability to communicate with the surface control station...

29) A surface locating device such as a strobe light or VHF radio and a subsurface locating device such as an acoustic pinger, sonar reflector or buoy are to be provided. Surface detectors or other equipment as required for the detection of subsurface locating devices is to be available. Electric locating devices not designed and equipped to operate using a self-contained power source are to be arranged to be powered by both the normal and the emergency power supplies. Non-electric locating devices are to be deployable without electric power.

35.9.2) The submersible must be able to surface from rated depth and open the hatch(es) within a time period such that the oxygen level within the personnel compartment does not fall below 18 percent by volume referenced to standard temperature and pressure, with the oxygen supply turned off and with full occupancy

Another comment was about how the wireless controller had no redundancy.  Like, if the battery on the controller failed, they were screwed. 

In a lot of cases, regulations are paid in blood.  This debacle should hopefully lead to greater regulation and enforcement of said regulation.  

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, chon derry said:

There’s literally nothing , nothing  man made that mimics or can over power or defeat mother nature’s power. Everything is worn down, eroded rusted and washed away over time or it’s demolished instantly.  Mother nature is patient, and can’t be beaten. 

Hold my beer.

• Haha 1

At the time of this post, there is 1 hour and 34 minutes remaining until the oxygen runs out.

I have to say, what a terrifying way to go out like that.