The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Predators trade Ryan Johansen to Avalanche for Alex Galchenyuk‘s rights

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

$4 million for a non-defensive centre. No.That's a Benning move.

I thought about it too but yeah he’s the exact opposite of what we need. I wonder what a Brayden Schenn-type player would cost. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Pears said:

I thought about it too but yeah he’s the exact opposite of what we need. I wonder what a Brayden Schenn-type player would cost. 

Boy if only we could reunite and afford the Schenn brothers to play here. That would fill so many needs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neutral said:

GM Alvin sleeping at the wheel, man that was a no brainer to take a risk on Johansen for 2 yrs as a right shot C at 4m imo. Local kid too!

Maybe Nashville trades with us for Miller now haha...only 6 more days we can say that!

And you just assume he was somehow called on this?     And maybe it's not worth it anyways.   Trotz sure felt it was worth it.    Maybe he knows something we do not, 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Man, there were no winners in this trade..........

Nashville Predators acquire Date Columbus Blue Jackets acquire
Nashville_Predators.gif Ryan Johansen
January 6, 2016
Seth Jones Columbus_Blue_Jackets.gif

Sure there was.   Both the goofs that slacked off and went full LE mode (ok we won't know yet, but at least 50%LE mode).    Why in the heck would CHI do this to themselves.   At least CLB got away from that when they could. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Neutral said:

Amazing what a competent GM can do! This was a no brainer trade to make, we should have been all over this! Move JT for a nice return, send Garland to Winnipeg as they will lose a few guys and its a hard place to attract players for say Dillon?

And who would be our 2C?

• There it is 1

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

And who would be our 2C?

I guess they're saying put Johansen in.  But he's always been a slow, lumbering centre that has now just come off major surgery for a skate to the Achilles.  So he will be even slower.  I suspect he's lost a couple steps and will struggle mightily.

Or maybe he won't and this will be a massive heist.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We need to address a top four D hole first.     Johansen even at 50%, is a luxury item. 

I hear you - and actually a lot of decent bargain fits at C for cheaper.

I’m also not sure about Johansen’s two way game and he doesn’t kill penalties.  I think Colorado is going to use him as a 2C not the matchup 3C we need.

Would have loved Johansen’s size and the fact he’s a good face off righty, though.  Oh well! 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I guess they're saying put Johansen in.  But he's always been a slow, lumbering centre that has now just come off major surgery for a skate to the Achilles.  So he will be even slower.  I suspect he's lost a couple steps and will struggle mightily.

Or maybe he won't and this will be a massive heist.

I'd rather hold on to Miller if we are going to make s push over the next 2 years...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Predators trade Ryan Johansen to Avalanche for Alex Galchenyuk‘s rights
1 hour ago, Angry Goose said:

RJ isnt a PKr or 2 way force which the Canucks desperately need.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

This would be a move to make if we traded Miller, not to fill the 3C role.

Allvin would not have wanted to make this deal. In his prime Johansen was very good. But some guys experience age-related decline early (like OEL) and Johansen appears to be in that category. He turns 31 in July and he had a poor year last year. According to the Evolving Hockey GAR stat he was worse than a replacement level player last year. That is a bit worse than the advanced stats quoted by @Bob.Loblaw above (using a different source). In those stats he was at the 25th percentile last year (bottom quarter of the league). A 4 million dollar cap hit for that performance level is way too high. 

He does not provide speed and is not good enough defensively to help the PK  or to play shutdown. All he would do for the Canucks would be to burn up cap space the Canucks need to pick up a good 3C and a good 2nd pairing level D. And his signed for 2 more years.

This is not a crazy gamble by Colorado as they have a fair amount of cap space, but it still looks like a longshot to me. 

I am happy the Canucks did not bite. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Or maybe a competatant GM holds onto a stud like JT. Tochett, EP, JT are gonna blow the NHL away next year, book it. You could see it brewing to end the year. 

Yup. If Allvin traded Miller for picks then he’d have a plan in place, like he did with Bo, to move those picks for a great centre who is younger than Miller. If he didn’t have such a plan ahead of a Miller trade he’d be like Benning. Thank God he’s smart. 
Benning :picard: