The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

19 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think that was the previous year, his ice time dropped to just over 12 mins in the playoffs last year and his corsi numbers were not pretty (only 4 game same size though). Regular season minutes dropped to just over 14 mins. He is 37 years old his body probably has felt better. 

I think you are right. Still for LA he was a great guy to mentor their young D. But I think now that role is nearly over. Still, when healthy he's effective, but the older he gets the more often he is not even remotely close to 100% - he's just willing to play hurt a lot. He's not making a lot of dough compared to his big years, I think he just loves the game.

On 7/15/2023 at 9:31 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Willander is sure showing his commitment to playing in the NHL, by taking the NCAA route. He's getting the best of both worlds. Good foundations in Sweden, and learning the North American game in Boston. I hope Willander and Celebrini learn to be rock solid defenders.

I'm still not sold on Lekkerimaki, you can see his skill set why he was chosen. I just think Ohgren, Pickering, or Gaucher would have been better choices.

But hey, I'm the guy that got stoked about Kole Lind in the 2nd round. Lol.

What I like about this kid is it’s all about developing the tools to become a valuable piece and you can tell he’s committed.

23 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

What I like about this kid is it’s all about developing the tools to become a valuable piece and you can tell he’s committed.

IMO the NCAA is the best place for the kid to be at. Man do they work these kids hard on the ice/gym 6 days a week with quality coaching and getting used to the smaller ice and mostly older players

• Upvote 1

On 7/21/2023 at 7:18 PM, Diamonds said:

Yep, it is. I'm hoping he changes agents as Todd Diamond just comes across as really slimy. Plus there was this incident with Patrik Elias: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/report-devils-elias-sues-former-agents/article20397698/

Wow, these allegations are pretty shocking. What was the result of this? I couldn’t find it on the internet. 

The part about him being sucked into paying 2.5M per year for 5 years worth of life insurance is crazy. I kind of blame Patrik Elias for being a bit stupid there. 

29 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

I’m not sure how I missed that he’s only played d for two years,  the repetitions needed for decision making could be the biggest development piece for this player.  The offensive skill set could be a huge plus if the two way game connects as hoped.

He will be in a great program in Boston. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 7/21/2023 at 7:18 PM, Diamonds said:

Yep, it is. I'm hoping he changes agents as Todd Diamond just comes across as really slimy. Plus there was this incident with Patrik Elias: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/report-devils-elias-sues-former-agents/article20397698/

Yikes! I’ve never been a fan of Todd’s. He just rubs me the wrong way and always has. But hadn’t heard that Elias story yet. :( 

• Cheers 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:26 AM, Fred65 said:

IMO the NCAA is the best place for the kid to be at. Man do they work these kids hard on the ice/gym 6 days a week with quality coaching and getting used to the smaller ice and mostly older players

Yep they sure work these kids harder in NCAA than they do in the SHL. Lekkerimaki slacking.

Edited by hammertime

7 hours ago, flat land fish said:

I’m not sure how I missed that he’s only played d for two years,  the repetitions needed for decision making could be the biggest development piece for this player.  The offensive skill set could be a huge plus if the two way game connects as hoped.

i feel that because he has only been playing defense for a couple years that his ceiling could be underestimated/underrated. 

On 7/22/2023 at 11:26 AM, Fred65 said:

His path is quite literally a dream scenario imo.

I'm very bullish on drafting from Europe and the NCAA and unless it's a Bedard type prospect I have trepidation over the CHL, double for dmen.

There's just to many variables and the back to JR rule also isn't favorable for developing the ones who do pass the hype.

Just going back to 2017, the draft is loaded with top 10 picks from the CHL that stumbled once they played against bigger stronger players.

Sure that happens everywhere but at least in Europe and College, they have already played against men.

Now obviously not in this case but just like in the CHL the ones that can skate and have the iq are usually fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...