The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tom Willander | D

Fanuck

This guy is a beaut, he's gonna be a star for the Canucks. Still so young, but so mature and focused, and nice about it. He's not ego-driven or entitled. This kid wants to be the best and win a championship, but he knows he needs to work hard and he knows he needs to improve.

So excited for the Canucks future with him. It was the right pick and he will be the best D in the 2023 draft class. Reinbacher was a big miss for MTL at #5 IMO. They should've taken Leonard.

So, how long before Willander joins the team?  Is 2 years out of the question? He's already got decent size, and skates/thinks the game like a pro.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I like this clip. Nice compilation of his defensive work. 

Look at this video boys and girls.

this is how you play defence.

eyes on the puck, eyes on the play and laser focus on his man in the D zone.

No space, no room and when the puck even gets close to his man, he is checking that player so tightly that the forward cannot move in the D zone with the puck.

He could put on a D clinic for most of our prospects and nhl D men. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Look at this video boys and girls.

this is how you play defence.

eyes on the puck, eyes on the play and laser focus on his man in the D zone.

No space, no room and when the puck even gets close to his man, he is checking that player so tightly that the forward cannot move in the D zone with the puck.

He could put on a D clinic for most of our prospects and nhl D men. 

Willander is a lot like Hronek is his play. And Hronek is like a cross between Tanev defensively and Hughes offensively. We drafted another high end player who is excellent in all three zones with and without the puck that is also hyper competitive. 
Willander will prove to be the best D from this draft. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

10 hours ago, McBackup said:

A factoid about Willander I found amusing. He chose for his walkup song "Life is a Highway", which contains the lyrics "From Mozambique to those Memphis nights, the Khyber Pass to Vancouver's lights", which is very fitting and Vancouver is the only NHL city mentioned in the song. 

I think he knew. 

I always though it was "Vancouver's riots"... That would really make him a canuck!!!!:bigblush:

• Vintage 1

In the future I see a PP line where Willander, Räty and Lekkerimäki have some fun.

Just those three has secured the coming eight years of Peteys future contract.

If Hughes want to go we can fix it anyway.

And we got four years of getting good players.

• Like 3

Really impressive demeanour on this kid. He really has a great perspective. Mindset and character are able to elevate defenseman, and Tanev is an example. Feeling great about this pick and this lid has a bright future in Vancouver. We’ll be seeing lots of interviews in the future I’m sure.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

style of play seems to be a cross between ohlund and Hughes

So, Edler then? I'd be stoked if Willander becomes a RD Edler and I think he can be. Good size, good frame, good poise, good skating and good passing. Nothing fantastic like Hughes but just good at everything. 

I know Hughes will overtake him soon but Edler still is the best defenceman this franchise has had so if we can replicate that on the right side then this is a winner of a pick. I'd be happy with 30-40 points for most seasons and solid defensive play.

12 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I like this clip. Nice compilation of his defensive work. 

On the offensive side of the puck what impresses is his constant changing of angles to confuse defending wingers/goalies and patience to wait for plays to develop and traffic to establish in front of the net - he rarely just chucks it on net hoping for something to happen,  he's making attempts on net only with a plan in mind.

On the d side of the puck he's excellent at angling forwards away from high danger areas and disrupting plays before lines can establish anything in the o-zone.  

If he develops at the next level he's going be a steal for us.  We should have a really good sense of where he's at developmentally in the NCAA next season as opposed to guessing about his development from playing sporadic shifts in a Swedish men's league. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

On the offensive side of the puck what impresses is his constant changing of angles to confuse defending wingers/goalies and patience to wait for plays to develop and traffic to establish in front of the net - he rarely just chucks it on net hoping for something to happen,  he's making attempts on net only with a plan in mind.

On the d side of the puck he's excellent at angling forwards away from high danger areas and disrupting plays before lines can establish anything in the o-zone.  

If he develops at the next level he's going be a steal for us.  We should have a really good sense of where he's at developmentally in the NCAA next season as opposed to guessing about his development from playing sporadic shifts in a Swedish men's league. 

I love his toughness. He's going to be an absolute Rock. 

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Good eye and props to you for mentioning it. I've noticed this as well.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

So, Edler then? I'd be stoked if Willander becomes a RD Edler and I think he can be. Good size, good frame, good poise, good skating and good passing. Nothing fantastic like Hughes but just good at everything. 

I know Hughes will overtake him soon but Edler still is the best defenceman this franchise has had so if we can replicate that on the right side then this is a winner of a pick. I'd be happy with 30-40 points for most seasons and solid defensive play.

Edler as the Scarecrow at times with finding his brain took over his play in the D zone?

Willander is coming into the league a better defender already than Elder in man to man and sticking to his opponent and assignments.

Elder was a great player and he is our best defender historically, but he was never our smartest in Game Speed.

He was our Myers when he left.

It is the fusion of Skating, personality, intelligence and with good size, plus I liked the integrity to his reply to an interview question at Development Camp.

’I hope the Canucks show the commitment in me that I am showing them and will show them.’

a thoughtful and insightful answer.  

He is exactly where he wants to be, with the team of his dreams and is committed to Vancouver, fully and with thought and purpose.

He hopes for the same.

This is a smart young man who is no fool and not lost in moment.

This should also hopefully quell the pending panic… Is Willander going to opt out?

LOL

No Willander is a lot like Ohlund, who was a beast, but a standout Defender who thought the game incredibly well.

So well he played nearly his entire career nearly blind in one eye after an injury in his Sophomore year in Vancouver.

so we never got to see the best Ohlund could be, as eye injuries in Hockey typically end careers.

blind sides are extremely dangerous.

Just ask Bryan Berrad(sp?)

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/3/2023 at 7:57 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don’t think Edler was the best defenceman this franchise has ever had. That would be Paul Reinhart, who in his prime was only exceeded by Bourque and Coffey. As an overall D, I’d take Ohlund over Edler, too… and Jovanovski wasn’t bad either. Ohlund was better defensively and tough as nails - as Iginla would attest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don’t think Edler was the best defenceman this franchise has ever had. That would be Paul Reinhart, who in his prime was only exceeded by Bourque and Coffey. As an overall D, I’d take Ohlund over Edler, too… and Jovanovski wasn’t bad either. Ohlund was better defensively and tough as nails - as Iginla would attest.

That was my read. Reinhart wanted to move to the lower mainland to go into the finance relam for post hockeey as I recall, his sons of course look pretty good. Ohlund mman what a D'man, he was a horse and just eat up minutes annd as you said  tough. Jovanoski, naw he came with a reputaion and man was he a tough kid ( Deadmarsh will attest to that ) but  he wasn't always the smartest or reliable guy with the puck on his stick, but man would he be a great fit todays roster. The pairing of Sopel and Ohlund was pretty darm good and I was happy when he won the SC!

Edited by Fred65
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1