The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] William Nylander seeking a contract over $10 million

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I’m sorry but Demko is not a top 5 goalie.  

Love all those players but they are all so over-rated in that comment that you can probably ignore the comment altogether.

They may be on their ways to those things but have not shown that much yet.

• Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

31 goals (19/20)

34 goals (21/22)

40 goals last season

What is that worth?

TOR is going to have to make some trades, but do they really want Brad in charge of what to do with the stars on the team? Look at how he handled Tkachuk and Gaudreau.

Oooh this gonna be good.

• There it is 1

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Gee.. 

So we have top 5 defensemen (Hughes)

Best players in the world (Pettersson)

Top 5 goalie (Demko)

And yet we are playing at the league bottom for the previous 3 seasons. 

I mean Oilers have McDavid and Draisaitl  - who truely are the best players in the world and they can consistently make the playoffs at least. 

I wonder if we overrate our players or not. 

We do overate our players.  Thats the problem here on this board.  Offensively Hughes might be near top 5 but hes not a top 5 dman- not Even  close.  And demko isnt even top 10.  Petey is now probably a top 10 centre- so we have that.  

Good individual stats dont entirely translate to building a winning team.  This isnt fantasy hockey. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

Garland, Myers, Studnicka

Nylander 4 x $9?

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Nylander

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Beauvillier - Blueger - Joshua

DiGiuseppe - Aman - Podkolzin

Hoglander

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Irwin - Hirose/Juulsen

Intriguing anyway, too bad about his attitude. They would probably have to try and trade Beauvillier too.

He's not worth 10. But given this crazy market where players are being paid unrealistically, I don't think he's THAT far off.

If he gets traded, bet he gets around 9 or close to it. Top be honest, I never thought he would improve as he has, since he used to be very soft - but has actually turned into somewhat of a 2-way player.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

If Wee Double Flamingo Wille is looking for 10 mil per then (knowing that) which team will give up quality assets to trade for him? 

Anaheim could do it...

To Anaheim:

William Nylander

Matt Murray

To Toronto:

John Gibson

Troy Terry

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Anaheim could do it...

To Anaheim:

William Nylander

Matt Murray

To Toronto:

John Gibson

Troy Terry

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nylander has a NTC, 10 team list.  I am sure Winnipeg is on that list...

Do you seriously think Anaheim is a location Nylander would waive for?

back to wee willie

He scored 40, once is not a ppg player over his career, a winger.

I'd suggest his aav somewhere around PLD & Horvat though they are Centers(more valuable) also nylander puts up more points. 

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Do you seriously think Anaheim is a location Nylander would waive for?

back to wee willie

He scored 40, once is not a ppg player over his career, a winger.

I'd suggest his aav somewhere around PLD & Horvat though they are Centers(more valuable) also nylander puts up more points. 

Yes, he can live in sunny California and play with Leo Carlsson...

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Allvin called EP a "top 15 player in this league" .... so he will get paid like one.    Yes that means 11.5 x 8 or something like that.    He's done it once.   There will be an expectation, that he can keep it up.   Personally feel he can rattle off another 5 or so 100 plus point seasons in a row, and end up leading the Canucks all-time if he plays 8 more seasons with us after this one, and doesn't get injured.  Glad Allvin understands the team needs to get bigger.    Hope he also understands the value of a guy like Reaves.   EPs longevity could depend on that somewhat, especially come playoff time. 

Does Reaves ever do anything in the playoffs though ... except for the one (fake) year the Canucks let him get in their heads Ferland style? Better  teams than ours show if you ignore him he has nothing else to give and dissapears.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Page, Text, Number, Symbol

https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/minnesota-wild/wild-wise-to-pass-on-ryan-reaves-contract-r29476/

With the Wild having a smaller team, many have wanted Minnesota to employ an enforcer like Reaves for years. The Wild got a Reaves-type in Nic Deslauriers, which ended up working out poorly. Maybe it was just because they got the Shasta version of Reaves. This time Guerin traded for Coca-Cola Classic. Reaves' reputation for being a deterrent was so great that few in the NHL were even brave enough to take them on. The thinking was, if opponents didn't want to answer to Reaves, they'd be on their best behavior.

That demonstrably did not work out.

6-foot-7 giant Logan Stanley fell on 5-foot-9 Kirill Kaprizov, taking him out for weeks and reducing his effectiveness in the playoffs. Reaves' response? Nothing. He didn't deter Stanley from touching their superstar, and he didn't dish out any consequence for doing so.

This continued in the playoffs, where Reaves was helpless to stop the Dallas Stars from taking liberties with the Wild throughout their six-game set. This includes Ryan Suter in particular hacking away at Kaprizov with such intensity that you'd have thought the Russian superstar said something truly awful, like that Suter should play on the second power play unit.

The idea is that giant, physical players like Reaves are what get you through the playoffs. The Wild played the gritty identity that they wanted, with Reaves being a key part of that, and the result was the same: Out in the first round, in the same six games the skilled, high-flying Wild of 2021-22.

And again, if he's not that deterrent for other teams, and definitely not that in the playoffs at age-36, how is that going to be better at 37, let alone 39?

Pretty useless in my books. I remember watching a playoff series after he destroyed us in 2019 and getting ready to watch him unleash the terror. Eventually even the announcers were making fun of how ineffective and useless he was as long as you don't get mixed up in his antics.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, he can live in sunny California and play with Leo Carlsson...

You add Nylander to that team and they'll be competitive within 2 years. They have the potential to get good quick with a lot of quality prospects at top positions. Obviously they have to actually do it but they are in a good position.

• Cheers 1

Not surprised he's asking for that. Multiple teams will pay him that in the open market if it wasn't for the tight cap. Maybe this forces Treliving's hands to finally break up the core 4. Nylander was always going to be the one that's easiest to move.