The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jersey numbers for the free agents

Rate this topic

Law of Goalies

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I agree.  Player movement happens all the time, you can't expect every UFA to have time to do background research on who died wearing that number, especially when the player in this case passed 15 years ago... either the team informs them of the significance or practically speaking it could be worn (though best taken out of circulation out of respect for that player).

The Canucks should take 11, 28, 37 and 38 out of circulation.  This is the easiest way to do this.  I doubt another guy like Messier will ever come around to demand wearing his number.  Ian Cole probably doesn't even know who Luc Bourdon is, so it is the team's responsibility to advise him and really just to tell him he can't wear it.  I'm assuming if he chose 28 then it is still in circulation and nobody from the team objected to him wearing it.

Do we even know if these numbers can still be worn?  I'm sure 11 is now officially out of circulation, but I haven't heard of anything in regard to the other numbers...

• Cheers 3

With such  a large  turnover in managerial staff in the last 18 months it may have slipped by them. 
If so, I have no doubt they will make sure  the Bourdon family is given the utmost respect and the final decision on his number being assigned. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm sorry but Bourdon, Rypien, Demitra, were all great people. Their deaths were tragic. But I don't think their body of work warrants taking the numbers out of circulation.

What exactly did Wayne Maki do other than chop some guys head off with his stick and then getting charged with assault?  

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What exactly did Wayne Maki do other than chop some guys head off with his stick and then getting charged with assault?  

Ask the Griffiths? That was the arrangement between them and the family, and it was early in the franchise.

He died of cancer, which yes is tragic. If ownership said it was out of circulation, that's their call.

Demitra was a great player. But he played like what 6-7 seasons in St. Louis. If anyone should be taking it out of circulation it should be them.

Maybe put them all into a section at the arena as a memorial to them. I think #11 should be taken out because I don't know what could cure the stench of Mr. Lays.

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

26 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ask the Griffiths? That was the arrangement between them and the family, and it was early in the franchise.

He died of cancer, which yes is tragic. If ownership said it was out of circulation, that's their call.

Demitra was a great player. But he played like what 6-7 seasons in St. Louis. If anyone should be taking it out of circulation it should be them.

Maybe put them all into a section at the arena as a memorial to them. I think #11 should be taken out because I don't know what could cure the stench of Mr. Lays.

I agree. They should just do some kind of memorial at the arena for all of them. I don’t think any of those numbers should be out of circulation, even 11.  But because it was the first few years of the franchise I guess they wanted to do something special for Wayne Maki. It was good intentions at the time but set a precedent for future similar situations. 

In my opinion Rick Rypien’s story was much more tragic and has had a more lasting impression with the fans than Wayne Maki. Rypien is literally honoured every year and has a foundation set up in his name. And plus he did more for this franchise than Wayne Maki ever did. Maki was a borderline criminal. He almost killed another hockey player with his stick. Broke the guys skull. It was the worst stick swinging incident in NHL history. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1