The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Tony DeAngelo

18 hours ago, kodos said:

100%. These dudes cry about people being snowflakes and cancel culture then boycott shit like Mr. Potato Head and the Barbie movie or M&Ms because they have market strategies that don’t specifically placate their personal insecurities. Pure projection and hatred. It is truly embarrassing. 

Yes, people that do deplorable stuff end up getting defended, however cancel culture is indeed today's scourge. 

We have reached a point where people that make mistakes are never given a true chance to apologize, nobody is redeemable. I find the whole cancel culture truly deplorable on the whole. If Tony apologized for what he said, then it's time to drop it and move on. 

Having said all that, I wouldn't want Tony on the Canucks because we need better leadership then what he can seemingly provide. Give me the Schenn and Foligno brothers instead. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yes, people that do deplorable stuff end up getting defended, however cancel culture is indeed today's scourge. 

We have reached a point where people that make mistakes are never given a true chance to apologize, nobody is redeemable. I find the whole cancel culture truly deplorable on the whole. If Tony apologized for what he said, then it's time to drop it and move on. 

Having said all that, I wouldn't want Tony on the Canucks because we need better leadership then what he can seemingly provide. Give me the Schenn and Foligno brothers instead. 

Certainly not in all cases but from what I've seen, "cancel culture" largely goes after people that double down on their ignorant/hateful/archaic stances rather than attempting to learn from them, improve as people, and indeed redeem themselves (and like minded folks who come in to defend those stances).

That's not a cancel culture problem, that's a not adapting to modern society that rightly, actively discourages ignorant/hateful/archaic stances problem. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Ah yes, cancel culture, formally known as "consequences".

2 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Could contain: Advertisement, Poster, Text

The shoe is on the other, hypocritical foot, and they don't seem to like it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Thank you, the ignorance on here refusing to acknowledge I was arguing second chances and not racist remarks, I can completely cope with someone not wanting the player over their abilities but not over a one time mistake they made when they were 17 that they publicly apologized for… maybe he hasn’t changed but all signs have pointed to him changing his character

6 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

but not over a one time mistake

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31907144/carolina-hurricanes-replenish-defense-controversial-veteran-tony-deangelo-one-year-deal

"DeAngelo has a history of disciplinary issues. He was suspended twice during his junior career in the OHL, including for violating the league's policy covering "homophobic, racist, and sexist language" and abuse of officials. He also was suspended for three NHL games in 2017, while with the Arizona Coyotes, for physical abuse of officials.

and

DeAngelo, 25, was bought out of the last year of his contract by the New York Rangers earlier this month. They kicked him off their team after six games last season due to his disruptive behavior, which included a physical altercation with goaltender Alexandar Georgiev after a game.

I'm not a math expert, but that looks like more than "a one time mistake"

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

28 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31907144/carolina-hurricanes-replenish-defense-controversial-veteran-tony-deangelo-one-year-deal

"DeAngelo has a history of disciplinary issues. He was suspended twice during his junior career in the OHL, including for violating the league's policy covering "homophobic, racist, and sexist language" and abuse of officials. He also was suspended for three NHL games in 2017, while with the Arizona Coyotes, for physical abuse of officials.

and

DeAngelo, 25, was bought out of the last year of his contract by the New York Rangers earlier this month. They kicked him off their team after six games last season due to his disruptive behavior, which included a physical altercation with goaltender Alexandar Georgiev after a game.

I'm not a math expert, but that looks like more than "a one time mistake"

Did his father abuse referees too?

On 7/29/2023 at 11:04 PM, kodos said:

It’s definitely sad to me when people are raised like shit and have these attitudes ingrained in them (perhaps like a certain someone in this thread). 

In DeAngelo’s case, being in the NHL and travelling around as much as they do you’d think that at a certain point he’d be exposed to enough people and situations that are different from himself that he could mature a bit. Unfortunately the dude is like 27 and follows a philosophy that fetishizes ignorance. Don’t know if there’s much hope at this point that the guy is going to grow up. I’m just glad he isn’t on our team — I’d be pretty choked if I was a Canes fan and had this dude brought into the locker room.

Have you and I been following the same sport all these years?  Hockey players being mature?  Guys like the Sedins are exceptions to the rule.

13 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

It was wrong then and it's wrong now. 

Nothing wrong with consequences for one's actions. I'm sure that if someone recorded all your words over the last 20 years, you'd have a lot of things you could get cancelled for. 

Society changes, language changes, outlooks change. 

11 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Thank you, the ignorance on here refusing to acknowledge I was arguing second chances and not racist remarks, I can completely cope with someone not wanting the player over their abilities but not over a one time mistake they made when they were 17 that they publicly apologized for… maybe he hasn’t changed but all signs have pointed to him changing his character

Hasn't DeAngelo had something like 5 chances already though?

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Hasn't DeAngelo had something like 5 chances already though?

He has been suspended once in the nhl at age 21 for abuse to an official after an official was holding onto him long after a scrum and he pushed the officials arms downwards, he also was under scrutiny because of his emotional comments after a loss ran high with georgiev that ultimately lead to them getting in a fist fight so yes he’s had a couple questionable character issues but ultimately the way new teammates spoke of him seems like he’s not a bad apple or anything, I’m rooting for him to have a successful and long problem free career going forward and hope people can forgive his teenage years and allow him to grow 

4 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It was wrong then and it's wrong now. 

Nothing wrong with consequences for one's actions. I'm sure that if someone recorded all your words over the last 20 years, you'd have a lot of things you could get cancelled for. 

Society changes, language changes, outlooks change. 

So if you don't think it's a big deal then it's cancelling and that's bad, but, if you're offended by something they are just facing consequences for their actions? That sure sounds like you're advocating "Rules for thee but not for me" depending on how you decide to perceive something.

20 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Yup. It’s those darned conservative folk causing all the problems. I wonder why it is people tend to have more conservative views as they get older and wiser?