The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Tony DeAngelo

22 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

When you’re  +30 you’re not that much of a liability to be fair. 

These numbers are from 21-22 (he was even worse in Philly).  Primary partner was Jaccob Slavin (occasionally Ian Cole).  DeAngelo's involvement in the D-zone was practically zero.  The game plan was obvious - "make Slavin do all the heavy lifting until the puck is out of our zone".  That only works when your partner is Norris calibre.  He tried doing the same thing with Provorov and Sanheim, and... well...

Could contain: Text, Scoreboard, Adult, Male, Man, Person

His whole card looks like police lights.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

These numbers are from 21-22 (he was even worse in Philly).  Primary partner was Jaccob Slavin (occasionally Ian Cole).  DeAngelo's involvement in the D-zone was practically zero.  The game plan was obvious - "make Slavin do all the heavy lifting until the puck is out of our zone".  That only works when your partner is Norris calibre.  He tried doing the same thing with Provorov and Sanheim, and... well...

I don’t disagree that he was absolute dogshit last year, but +30 you’re decent enough on a good team and not that detrimental to the point of being “trash” 

Furthermore he’s an offensive defenseman, the notion that every defenceman has to be Rod Langway or Nic Lidstrom to not be “trash” is tired af. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don’t disagree that he was absolute dogshit last year, but +30 you’re decent enough on a good team and not that detrimental to the point of being “trash” 

Furthermore he’s an offensive defenseman, the notion that every defenceman has to be Rod Langway or Nic Lidstrom to not be “trash” is tired af. 

Oh by no means am I disparaging what DeAngelo brought to the table - pure offense.  Just pair him with a legit defensive D-man and you've got a nice little wombo-combo from the back.  There are tons of these kinds of players out there - one of them just got his third Norris.  I never consider pure offensive D-men to be trash.  They're trash at defending, but teammates can make up for that.  Hell, their offensive play makes up for it too... somewhat.

DeAngelo earned that 2x$5M contract through excellent offensive play.  He deserved it.  But then he joined a trash team with an unforgiving, no-nonsense defensive head coach.  He picked the wrong team with the wrong guy to coach him.  Pair that with his lack of professionalism and you have our first double buyout in NHL history.

Just wait until mid-season.  If he's not on a team by then, someone will be desperate enough to pick him up.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Carry exits and retrievals are definitely just awful.    Shows he doesn't go to the boards, and waits for someone else to do the hard work.   No wonder Torts would have none of him.    

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

How about Ray Borque or Rod Blake?  or Potvin.  Or Robinson.    Al Mac turned into a good defender and still put up huge points halfway through his career too.    EK used to be a good defender and the best offensive guy in the league when up until Cooke stomped on his heal and he lost his best asset, of course is ability to get back.   There was a time he was dominant in all three zones.   I'd like to see what EK can do with a better lineup.   Without the worst goaltending in the league, and a solid partner.   No wonder CAR is interested,  EK and Slavin together would just be sick. 

Edit: Slavin was just awesome last playoffs.   Considering who he was shutting down each series.   CAR kind of got robbed.   They were thy better team each game, and Slavin was a big reason.   And without key guys.   Believe that would have been a final for the ages, so as fans we also got robbed. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 7/14/2023 at 2:42 PM, canuck73_3 said:

"I was racist before, but I promise I'm not now" 

If that’s what you got out of that either 1. You have a very low reading comprehension or 2. You are deliberately twisting his words to make him look bad either way bad take -1 for you on the stat sheet 

• Wat 1

9 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

If that’s what you got out of that either 1. You have a very low reading comprehension or 2. You are deliberately twisting his words to make him look bad either way bad take -1 for you on the stat sheet 

Your impulse to defend Tony DeAngelo of all people is absolutely bizarre 

• Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Don't you find that strange?  I feel like we're missing something here.

Pittsburgh and Carolina are the teams interested in Karlsson. So they are probably waiting to see what happens there. Deangelo is probably the fallback if they don’t get Karlsson. And they still need to make a decision on Pesce. Are they going to re-sign him, ride him out for the year or trade him?  

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pittsburgh and Carolina are the teams interested in Karlsson. So they are probably waiting to see what happens there. Deangelo is probably the fallback if they don’t get Karlsson. And they still need to make a decision on Pesce. Are they going to re-sign him, ride him out for the year or trade him?  

I read a report that Karlsson will absolutely refuse to go to Carolina because he personally hates Burns and their style of play. 

The report was from Mark Madden out of Pittsburgh.

• Haha 2