The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Tony DeAngelo

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Thanks Bob. So basically another forward playing the wrong position. Those defensive numbers look ugly. I guess it also correlates with his -27 last season. 

Our need is strong PK and defence from our defenders. I’m less excited now

For someone as offensively talented as he is, imagine how bad the defending must be to bring his overall contribution all the way down to 7%.  Isn't even that useful on the PP anymore, but I have no idea what Carolina was thinking putting him on the PK.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I wonder if he would be more valuable coverted to a forward. His even strength offense is quite good. 

You're thinking about guys like Burns and Byfuglien, who parked their butts in front of the net and tipped everything known to man.  DeAngelo is way too small and he's never played anything other than D-man.  He's deadly on the point and that's it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

I’m confused Bettman blocked the trade at 50% retention to Carolina.. now Carolina prolly will and can blatantly cap circumvent by signing him to 850k instead of the 2.5mil.. how are the other teams 30gm ok with this

Bettman loves to change the rules. Especially for Southern US States.

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I’m confused Bettman blocked the trade at 50% retention to Carolina.. now Carolina prolly will and can blatantly cap circumvent by signing him to 850k instead of the 2.5mil.. how are the other teams 30gm ok with this

No confusion. Just more Bettman favouritism for his pet teams. He would cry foul if the Canucks were on the receiving end of this. Book it.

Definitely not interested for Van. Thankfully we don't need more offensive dmen at this time and based on his advance stats he defensive game is quite weak. 

I'm sure he'll get 1-2 million for 1 year somewhere. Maybe Chicago or a contender will take a flyer on him. I wonder if Boston feels the culture there is strong enough to keep him in line. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

No confusion. Just more Bettman favouritism for his pet teams. He would cry foul if the Canucks were on the receiving end of this. Book it.

That is the rule in the CBA to avoid cap circumvention. Good rule too. Not favouritism at all, just following the contract. 
This is just good GMing in Carolina.  They said no, rolling the dice that nobody else would want him and they could get him at a contract that is 100% buriable in the minors. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That is the rule in the CBA to avoid cap circumvention. Good rule too. Not favouritism at all, just following the contract. 
This is just good GMing in Carolina.  They said no, rolling the dice that nobody else would want him and they could get him at a contract that is 100% buriable in the minors. 

But why was the original trade vetoed by the NHL?

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Because it had been under a year since the Hurricanes traded him to the Flyers and you can’t retain on a player that you traded for from the same team for a year. 
‘Rule to prevent cap circumvention. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

OMG that is so funny.
 Imagine him on a team with Kane. 
I bet they would be best friends. 

Something tells me Tony DeAngelo wouldn’t want to be best friends with Evander Kane..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

"I’m absolutely not racist at all. There was something I said back in junior; people don’t know what it is. I’m not going to go into it," he said. "But it was something I regretted. A friend of mine on my team, we had an argument, and we remained friends. The other stories that have come out are totally false, and I think that’s why teams in this league have known that."

for those of you calling him racist… I think judging a persons character from when they were a teenager and possibly didn’t know any better from the atmosphere they grew with, only way to let people grow is forgiving them for there faults and allowing them to prove they have become a better person and he’s done exactly that. I think the judgemental crowd that doesn’t allow one’s past to be forgiven is what’s wrong with society right now…. Anyways I’d welcome Tony D personally on a low cap low term deal if we are planning on moving out Myers 

"I was racist before, but I promise I'm not now" 

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Because it was less than one year from the Canes shipping him out. The CBA forbids reacquiring players within a year at reduced salary via retention. 

• Cheers 1