The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Captaincy

Rate this topic

Slegr

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Youre not watching the games then.  Aside from boeser, no one gets pushed off the puck easier or loses more physical battles on our team.  
Bow and kneel to Alf’s empties for your transgression. :frantic:

Hughes is a phenom. He set, and holds, the record for most playoff points by a D man. He dominates when on the ice. He’s going to score 100 points and lead us to the Cup. 

Edited by Alflives

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is a phenom. He set, and holds, the record for most playoff points by a D man. He dominates when on the ice. He’s going to score 100 points and lead us to the Cup. 

Do you mean power play points?

This thread should be a poll. 

I vote Miller. Granted, he's had his moments, but a true leader admits mistakes, learns, improves, and then leads by example. This is Millsy.

A true leader can not only lead on the ice but also speak for the team in times of need, and not only in times of success. This is Millsy.

A true leader has been around for a while and been through a lot. This is Millsy.

A true leader signs a long-term deal for a team he believes in. This is so far Millsy. 

Just give it to him already. But also pay Petey what he deserves already. Let's not lose the soon-to-be greatest Swedish-born player that ever played the game. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

:picard:

Not even remotely true but keep on believing the lies.

Hughes skating allows him to effortlessly skate the puck out of trouble. He’s not even often forced to win puck battles cause he’s already moving the puck up the ice.

Early on he was easier to pin down.  QHs is a lot better now.   It's not like he will ever be Ray Borque.   But he's going to be the best we've ever had. 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Youre not watching the games then.  Aside from boeser, no one gets pushed off the puck easier or loses more physical battles on our team.  

Brock wins more puck battles on the boards then he loses.  So good stat! 

• Cheers 3

14 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

There's no doubt Hughes plays with fire. 

And if you read what the hell I said, IF he and the management would want him to be captain, I'm fine with that. 

But I also want a captain that isn't going to get bitch slapped around. 

Is that clear enough? 

It's the modern NHL. Quinn Hughes bitch-slaps the rest of the league with his IQ and generational-level skating ability.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, nergish said:

It's the modern NHL. Quinn Hughes bitch-slaps the rest of the league with his IQ and generational-level skating ability.

I agree. But unless he is all-in on being captain, I'd rather JT, so Petey or Hughes aren't subjected to that pressure. 

And as far as fire in his belly, I'd prefer Miller scrapping instead of QH. 

Miller was the one who went after Bo's cousin when he blindsided Petey last year. 

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

It's happened.   Players put a name in a hat, it's tallied and sometimes it's not who you think.   Who Captained the greatest Boston team ever?   Was it Orr?  One of the greatest ever.   Or Espo?  Also one of the best ever.   No.  

Yeah but I’m talking about the present day. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Yeah but I’m talking about the present day. 

Would be nice though.   I think Miller likely gets the nod if they went there, but the best part about that it can be surprising.    Wish the players did this.  The fanbase would for sure be fine with whomever their choice was. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Are you Thomas Drance by any chance!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think the next captain will be Hughes but I also think the Canucks will take their time before making anything official. 

But when you read Tocchet’s comments from a few months ago, it give a good sense of where the coach may be leaning:

“Huggy has really made that [upward] trajectory to be a captain. He’s done some things that are uncomfortable. He’s said some things that are uncomfortable that you have to do to say to teammates, or to a coach, or to put your balls on the line. That’s what captains do.

“It’s not just about organizing a team party. It’s about putting your teammates first and also being able to go into a coach’s office and say, ‘Hey man, Tocc, you gotta back off in practice, I’ve got this. I guarantee the next game, we’ll be ready to play.’ I love that about him.”

Hughes also has the respect of his teammates, as shown here (quotes from after an intense practice back in February):

Hughes got his back up in a brief but testy shoving match with hulking winger Dakota Joshua to end the practice on a fitting note.

“I’m a leader now (alternate captain) and I want everybody to get better,” said Hughes. “I need him (Joshua) to be the best he can be. And I need to push myself and other guys. We’re not getting enough and that’s why we’re not in the playoffs.”

Said Joshua: “He’s making sure everybody is pulling on the rope and I loved seeing him get fired up like that. We could use more of that every day around here.”

I don’t think Hughes would ever put his own name forward for the “C,” but he’d definitely embrace it and thrive in the role, if offered the captaincy. I think he’d welcome the chance to lead this team, he’s just too humble and classy to say outright that he wants it. But at the same time, Hughes has no lack of confidence or belief in himself, and, while he definitely plays it cool at times, when directly asked about the captaincy, I really get the sense that he inwardly burns for the opportunity to take on the mantle of leading this team.

“To be a captain is an extraordinary honour,” said Hughes. “It’s really special, but to be honest, it’s not my main focus. Getting an ‘A’ (alternate) wasn’t my main focus either, and when they told me after the (All-Star Game) break that I was getting one, I was happy.

“I have a lot of things on my mind. I want to be in the playoffs and keep taking my game to another level. They don’t need to do it (captaincy) soon. If they give it a year or two year, or whenever they decide to do it, I don’t think anybody feels pressure in here, or that they need to do something.”

“I think a lot of it is that if you’re really an elite defenceman, you have to be competing and at least be in the playoffs. That hasn’t been something I can say. I don’t think this is the peak for me at all. I feel hungry right now, more hungry than usual.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-prolific-well-educated-quinn-hughes-captain/wcm/20b98226-3d81-444d-b5d6-54ac4b9756dc/amp/

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-captain-quinn-hughes-rick-tocchet

Not wanting it,  but being deserving is like a multiplier of 3 in my books.   Agree they don't have to rush it.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1