The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Maple Leafs re-sign Auston Matthews

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Only 4 years and a HUGE AAV wow!!!

Making more than McJesus is insane

If Pettersson ask for this deal, we need to let Petey walk (edit I mean trade)

Horrible deal for the Leafs. Matthews gave the Leafs no chance to either take advantage of the expected rising cap with a long term deal nor a team friendly bridge deal. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This screams retirement deal in the future.  He is setting himself for a 7-8 year deal at age 31 that will be retirement risk proof to the signing team.

I guess just not the cap going up but Tavares contract expires around that time. Meaning if Leafs want to extend Matthews, his camp will ask for something like 8 years for 18 million 

Edited by iinatcc

EP going to come in around 11.5 - 12 per now, imho. This AM contract raises the bar yet again. Teams are paying to retain their franchise players. I don’t think Aqua will be concerned but our internal cap structure might soon become difficult. Cue the “JTM contract will handcuff us” crowd :bigblush:

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

EP going to come in around 11.5 - 12 per now, imho. This AM contract raises the bar yet again. Teams are paying to retain their franchise players. I don’t think Aqua will be concerned but our internal cap structure might soon become difficult. Cue the “JTM contract will handcuff us” crowd :bigblush:

If it's the Max term heck I would do 12.5. But at 11.5 to 12 for the same 4 year term ...

awkward-collar-tug-the-simpsons.gif

Canucks need to get some value for their superstar players the same way Florida, New Jersey, and Ottawa all got value from theirs.

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1