The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Connor McDavid raises eyebrows answering Oilers extension talks

Rate this topic

McDavid Raises Eyebrows Answering Oilers Extension Questions (msn.com)

While McDavid affirmed his dedication to the team and the city, his candid acknowledgment that he can’t guarantee re-signing with the club upon the expiry of his contract raised eyebrows and stirred discussions. McDavid even acknowledged that he knew his response might not sit well with everyone.

Motivated McDavid '100 per cent committed' to winning Cup with these Oilers (sportsnet.ca)

“I love playing in Edmonton, and I really feel at home there. Lauren loves being in Edmonton. There are a lot – a lot — of things that check the boxes for us in Edmonton. We're super comfortable there,” McDavid said. “But with that all being said, it’s three years down the road. We’ve got to kind of see where our lives are at and kind of go from there. 

“I don't say that to raise eyebrows or cause panic. It's just the way that it is,” he cautioned. “But I love playing in Edmonton, I'm 100 per cent committed to winning in Edmonton with this group… 

“And we're gonna see it through.” 

• Haha 1

This has been a day, for sure.  Lot of news coming out of Canadian teams...

Honestly, is McDavid's position or statement any different than what we heard from Pettersson?  At this point, I don't even care what players say anymore.  Players can promise they want to stay and then bolt in free agency (like Tavares), or say very little to quash rumours and end up re-signing anways (like Matthews).  Anything beyond that is just pure speculation, unless someone publicly requests a trade.  But this isn't the NBA.

I remember not too long ago when superstars like Ovi, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, and Toews were willing to sign max deals with their original clubs.

This can't just be a coincidence that the moment this era's superstars are drafted by mostly Canadian teams, now players won't commit to their clubs. Is it? 

he's sounding more and more like a politician.... only says middle of the road answers without actually answering the questions.

Of course he's dedicated to the Oilers... it would be career suicide to say otherwise. But as soon as it's time to re-up the contract...look out, it'll be show me the money or adios amigo. 'I always wanted to play for (insert team here ) '

I think it is an honest answer

Things can change in 3 years

He has committed to Oilers for 7 years already and another 3 years

He and his wife will either be happy to stay or excited to live somewhere else by then

Way too early to be concerned about this, it it not like he has asked to be traded as any concern

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Seems pretty rational to me honestly. Who would make a statement committing them to something three years down the road when a contact isn't yet signed. People will blow this way out of proportion.

Exactly. He's got every right to keep his options open. Besides, we all know that he wants to be a Canuck

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

McDick make sense, why would anyone commit 3 years out when the time comes he can essentially pick and choose where he wants to play and for how much.

As an aside, I always chuckle when people couch their comments by saying things like "kind of" see where our lives are, and "kind of" go from there. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. He's got every right to keep his options open. Besides, we all know that he wants to be a Canuck

Lol will never happen but could you imagine if the Canucks are a serious contender in 3 years and he decided to come here?

Tavares treatment in Long Island would seem like child’s play compared to how bad Oilers fans would lose their sh$t! :lol:

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lol will never happen but could you imagine if the Canucks are a serious contender in 3 years and he decided to come here?

Tavares treatment in Long Island would seem like child’s play compared to how bad Oilers fans would lose their sh$t! :lol:

Steven Yeun GIF by TIFF

• Haha 1

I think there's a difference between Petey and McDavid's situations - Edmonton are currently playoff contenders and the Canucks may not even make the playoffs next year. If you're McDavid, where else are you going to go that's going to give you a better shot at the Cup? Edmonton have a decent team so I'm surprised he wouldn't commit to them, a bit like Matthews.

The crazy thing about the current NHL is that there's not too many dynasties, and even when there are (eg. Tampa, Chicago, Pittsburgh etc. going back), they don't win many cups in a row. There's almost a constant cycle of cup winners so how can you end your current mega deal with a cup contending team like Toronto or Edmonton and then hitch your wagon to a decent-looking team when they have no more chance of winning a cup than their current team? 

Even if for example right now his contract expired, who would he sign with? Carolina? Boston? Absolutely no guarantees whatsoever they win a cup let alone have a better chance than Edmonton next year - especially considering what Florida just did.

Loyalty is a thing of the past and I understand why these phenoms want to win and have to win a cup in their career, but it's a risky game to play and you just can't predict who's going to be a cup winner before signing with a new team.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Seems pretty rational to me honestly. Who would make a statement committing them to something three years down the road when a contact isn't yet signed. People will blow this way out of proportion.

Exactly, I'm having trouble commiting to going to work on Monday. 

36 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think there's a difference between Petey and McDavid's situations - Edmonton are currently playoff contenders and the Canucks may not even make the playoffs next year. If you're McDavid, where else are you going to go that's going to give you a better shot at the Cup? Edmonton have a decent team so I'm surprised he wouldn't commit to them, a bit like Matthews.

The crazy thing about the current NHL is that there's not too many dynasties, and even when there are (eg. Tampa, Chicago, Pittsburgh etc. going back), they don't win many cups in a row. There's almost a constant cycle of cup winners so how can you end your current mega deal with a cup contending team like Toronto or Edmonton and then hitch your wagon to a decent-looking team when they have no more chance of winning a cup than their current team? 

Even if for example right now his contract expired, who would he sign with? Carolina? Boston? Absolutely no guarantees whatsoever they win a cup let alone have a better chance than Edmonton next year - especially considering what Florida just did.

Loyalty is a thing of the past and I understand why these phenoms want to win and have to win a cup in their career, but it's a risky game to play and you just can't predict who's going to be a cup winner before signing with a new team.

Whenever teams run into this problem, they should use Corey Perry and Marian Hossa as case study examples :lol: