The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which player are you taking, Elias Pettersson or Jack Hughes?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Which player are you taking, Elias Pettersson or Jack Hughes?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You need to try this first on a Devils forum and see how much the pendulum swings.

And then you have to find a neutral team and do another vote there.  Like... Chicago or... Tampa?

You're right of course.  EP has home ice advantage here.

I can't speak for anyone else but I genuinely tried to take bias out of this.  I still end up picking EP.  

If they both played on the same team, I would be more comfortable putting EP out there against the other teams' top forwards.  He's easier to utilize in any situation if you ask me.  

Speed seems to be the only advantage that JH has.  It's a big one for sure but is it enough to make him the better player? Not for me.

Edited by Baratheon
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, boziffous said:

Right now, if my team was going into the playoffs and I had to choose between the two, I'd definitely go with Petey as he has the better overall game.

And it’s not even close. Devils will miss the playoffs this season and Hack Hughes will be laughed at. 

• Haha 1

My vote was for Petey.  His shot is better, and defensive game is better.  I think he thinks the game a bit better than Jack.  Jack's game is based alot on his speed.  Once that goes,  Petey will more likely still be dominant while Jack is not.  Who know though.  One injury away can kill everything.

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Straight apples to apples, just on pure player value, I’d have Pettersson ahead of Jack Hughes. Not by a huge difference, but still a fairly clear and substantial one, IMO.

But if we’re looking at age (2 years difference), control (7 years remaining on current contract vs. expiring contract), and then there’s the Quinn Hughes factor (if Jack was here, with Quinn as his captain, it’s pretty much guaranteed the brothers would both continue to extend their deals in Vancouver and play here for their entire careers, and probably they’d push for Luke to join them at the first opportunity. With Petey, there’s no family loyalty/enticement factor, and I think he needs to see the team improving and be convinced the Canucks can actually win, before he commits to Vancouver for longterm/career). Add all that stuff together and I’d probably pick Hughes over Petey (unless an eight year extension get announced in the near future).

I think you could also reverse that and say that because Hughes has less time in the league, teams have had less time to figure out a way to stop him and he hasn't had to re-invent his game yet to stay on top.  Petey has already done this and elevated his game significantly.  We don't know if Hughes will be able to do that

• There it is 1

13 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Maybe you are just joking but you do realize you are name calling our team captains younger brother right?

Jack Hughes isn’t on our team, right? So he’s got to be hated. That’s how Alf roles. Hate ‘em if they aren’t Canucks. Jack Hughes is a loser. And to be completely honest he plays a Smurf sized cowardly game. 

• Haha 1

I take Petey; he will be great for a more extended period. Hughes' number one skill is his speed, which is elite, but he's a knee injury, and/or age away from losing his top skill. Petey's number one skill is his crazy high hockey IQ, along with unbelievable hand-eye coordination. Those are two skills that only get sharper with time.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

depends on the team make up. if i already have a hirshier type player on the team ppg selke caliber guy as a 2c.. i 100% would take Jack Hughes... offensively Jack hughes at age 20 and 21 blows EP age 20 21 out of the water.. Jack is over a ppg both season and prolly would have hit 100 if he didn't miss the 4 games and already is a 40 goal scorer while ep was slightly below a ppg both season and then struggled the following season.. so who to say if Jack hughes won't continue and be a 120 point guy by the time he reaches EP's age? the knock on jack hughes is he's god awful in the faceoff circle.. i wonder if he's better off just being a winger and have hirschier as the center.. though i think Jack hughes would explode this year offensively with better linemates. Meier is a massive upgrade over haula sharangovich tatar and mercer whom hughes played with last season. and if luke hughes can put up anything close to quinn's number.. so really depends on the team and situation.. pure offence i'll take hughes 2 way player probably EP? so really its gonna depend on situation and team composition. 

• There it is 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

depends on the team make up. if i already have a hirshier type player on the team ppg selke caliber guy as a 2c.. i 100% would take Jack Hughes... offensively Jack hughes at age 20 and 21 blows EP age 20 21 out of the water.. Jack is over a ppg both season and prolly would have hit 100 if he didn't miss the 4 games and already is a 40 goal scorer while ep was slightly below a ppg both season and then struggled the following season.. so who to say if Jack hughes won't continue and be a 120 point guy by the time he reaches EP's age? the knock on jack hughes is he's god awful in the faceoff circle.. i wonder if he's better off just being a winger and have hirschier as the center.. though i think Jack hughes would explode this year offensively with better linemates. Meier is a massive upgrade over haula sharangovich tatar and mercer whom hughes played with last season. and if luke hughes can put up anything close to quinn's number.. so really depends on the team and situation.. pure offence i'll take hughes 2 way player probably EP? so really its gonna depend on situation and team composition. 

Unfair, IMHO, to compare him to EP at that age.  Why?  Because of the dog**** coaching EP had (two AHL coaches that were better off staying there).  

35 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Unfair, IMHO, to compare him to EP at that age.  Why?  Because of the dog**** coaching EP had (two AHL coaches that were better off staying there).  

Lol.   Coaching.   The same coach that noticed his ability right away and gave him the minutes and the first unit PP time.   Also did that with Brock and QHs.    Thank god we didn't have Babcock.    Not sure are you talking about Tochett as an AHL coach too?   Guess so.   Jack Hughes made Tatar become one of the best WAR cards (ask Boblaw about that).   He's good.   You for sure have to compare at the same age.    

With that said, if EP goes down now, we have no playoff aspirations.   Not that we should be planning the parade with the current roster anyways.   Brock was the best player forward we had the covid year.   Miller has had five or six coaches now, didn't seem to matter whom he had did it?    It's not coaching, it's the roster.   We haven't had a top one in over a decade now.   At least we got to see some offense last year at the expense of defense though.    Green put his time in.   I agree with Tochett, he's a good coach.   People just expected a lot more for whatever reason.   No idea why.   That was a pretty mediocre roster.   What else was he supposed to do with that defense anyways?    Edler and Tanev.   Myers helped and look at how people hate on him.    We haven't had a good D for so long now.   People like Pearson and rightly so.   Makes any line a little better.  Who does he give accolades to for helping him stay in the league?  Green.   Why in the world, would you expect us to be good during the worst part of our cycle?  WD and then Green for awhile.    Our team just sucked.   The Sedins weren't nearly as good as they used to be.   We're so slow.   Brock gave us some hope.   EP got a lot of points but also had a lot of his points in 3 games (as a rookie under Green), you could tell he was special though.   Too bad JB didn't think we shouldn't have a Reaves type to help because nobody else seemed to care about his health.   We still lack that. 

So far EPs had Bruce, as an "experienced" coach.   Miller also scored a lot of points.   And Horvat scored a lot of goals, under Bruce, they sure forgot how to keep things close though, how many leads did Green blow?.   Even during the Bruce bump, media pointed out the steam was let out of the room, but those defensive lessons, didn't just disappear during the ten game winning streak either.    A couple practices lol.   Didn't make a difference.   Bruce inspired them, but didn't teach them squat.   Let's see how EP does with another "AHL" coach. 

That dogshit coaching, won him a Calder.   I'm sure if he had Babcock, he'd get 14 minutes a game. 

Edited by IBatch

30 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

U mean Ruff the coach fans were chanting to fire at the beginning of last season? Who’s the 2 ahl coach? Coz he only had 1 coach during 5!/5 age? Great players production don’t get affected by coaching.. the coiler switched to an ahl coach doesn’t seem to affect mcdavid or drais

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

U mean Ruff the coach fans were chanting to fire at the beginning of last season? Who’s the 2 ahl coach? Coz he only had 1 coach during 5!/5 age? Great players production don’t get affected by coaching.. the coiler switched to an ahl coach doesn’t seem to affect mcdavid or drais

Yep.   It was 95% roster.  5% coaching.  Bruce's record went down the toilet and he was also a mercy killing in the end.   Don't care about goaltending.   Green had to put up with an easy first goal most of his time with Markstrom too.