The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] forum closure

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

5 hours ago, Gerg said:

Were you around when the first WN shit down in like 2008?

I guess we can remove filters with this place shutting. Not that too many things were that exciting in hindsight.

Was surprised that this place was still around when i returned last year. 

I'm sure the marketing team never loved the forum as it wasn't bringing in the younger demographic anymore. I'm sure the IT security area hated it too since it was older tech. But it was still a fun way to connect with fans from everywhere. All things end indeed.

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
c

5 hours ago, McBackup said:

I suspect its that the Canucks don't want to pay the server costs for something that ultimately doesn't bring in any revenue, or there has been a massive restructuring of the NHL website's infrastructure and they don't see any value in continuing to host a forum for a single team.

We were as far as I was aware the only officially team hosted message board in the NHL for quite some time now.

Anyways, after well over a decade and thousands and thousands of posts here, I suppose there was always a point where it would end.

Thanks for the ride y'all. I'm sorry I won't get to see this place rupture when the Canucks actually win the cup. I hope my obnoxious, low effort comments brought a smile to your face once or twice. If I offended you with them or we ever had hostility, I hope its all water under the bridge.

I hope to see you celebrating somewhere when the Canucks finally lift Lord Stanley's Mug.

Go Canucks Go 

I've also wondered if the admins and moderators were paid positions be it a salary or free tickets/merchandises.  If they were compensated, then the cost of running this forum was probably a lot higher than just the costs to manage the servers. Like the poster above said, the forum didn't bring any revenue and couldn't justify the costs.

CDC was a great source of Canucks news/rumours/opinions for two decades. There were some great opinions here, some really funny posts, as well as some terrible and biased ones (including myself here)... it will definitely suck to not have CDC.

I suppose the forum wasn't growing. The forum members were probably mostly consisted of guys in late 20's to 40's, whose life evolved around the Canucks. And I noticed some older fans as well who added quite a bit of insights to the discussion (kudos to them). But younger generations, especially the casual fans, probably weren't accustomed to this sort of forum style discussion and even if they did join, they probably felt alienated and quit shortly after. 

Lately, with the team doing so bad for so long, the forum contributed to generating quite a bit of negativity around the team. In the view of the team's marketing department, this was probably hard to tolerate considering that it brings no revenue while having nonzero costs to maintain.

I joined during WCE era, about to start my 20's. For a loner, this was an exciting place to be. Like everything in life, CDC comes to an end as I'm about to embark on my 40's and have a family of my own and a child.

Canucks and CDC helped me through the difficult years during my 20's. Funnily enough, the team was doing great when I wasn't doing so good in my 20's (WCE and Sedin era). And when I started to get established in life and found happiness in my 30's, the team started to suck as the Sedin era ended.

All the CDC posters, whether you agreed with me or not, thank you. Best of luck in life to you all.

CDC was truly a special place.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Been here since day 1 during the WCE days.   

Thanks for making a new site. 

For the sake of memories, I'm posting my ignore list accumulated over the decades.

Could contain: Electronics, Mobile Phone, Phone, Page, Text

Could contain: Person, Text, Face, Head

Could contain: Text

Dang, I didn't make it in your list. I wasn't negative enough.

• Haha 1

I just want to point out that some fans live outside the province. I've been a fan for 3 decades, but in 2000 I moved to Alberta for work. 

As one can imagine, trying to be a fan out here is a challenge when everyone is a stanch supporter of the Flames or the Oil. This was my link to other Canuck fans so I felt like part of the Canucks community from afar.

So the question is: How long before I'm a Flames fan? With the help of CDC, I've avoided it for 23 years...

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

too bad.. this is a terrible decision by the canucks imo this forum keeps the fan engaged and discuss about the canucks to keep interest up whether it's positive or negative. especially when the team sucks and the season ends in april every year. having a friendly discussion or having a fiery arguments with others during the downtime or the days off keeps thing interesting. i'll admit while being a season ticket holde for 10 years now i rarely go to the games in recent years except for the games with decent star powers from other team and end up giving most of my tickets away to friends for cheap.. and i can hardly watch a game on tv from start to finish because the canucks are so depressing to watch in the last 10 years.. now that cdc will be gone.. any games that i don't go in person i'm sure i'll probably end up just watching highlights since there's no where to discuss the game anymore lol so it really doesn't matter how they played other than if they win or lose.. oh well... end of an era.. it's nice to be arguing with ppl or agreeing with people here.. i don't hold any grudge or hate towards anyone except for a few that love to resort to personal attacks when people don't agree with them lol. i love the arguements and discussion it's entertaining.. maybe one day we'll have a new forum that's as lively as this one was.. 

Well, what’s the chances this forum gets a new start. With the amount of time vintage, SN,AJ, DLC, and all the others behind the scenes put into CDC that a renamed version can be created? Even a small monthly subscription rate to help start and run the new web site. Just have to keep it the same, not commercially run . I very much enjoy the conversations on CDC and the instant trades and news information. I never thought CDC would ever get shut down. 

• Like 2

What? 

Why?

This sucks. I've been coming here to read posts and get up to date on Canucks more than any other media ... 

I'm going to miss this place.

Thank You SN

For starting new forum. Looks pretty good. 

See you all at SN's new forum. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Vintage 2

33 minutes ago, Rubik said:

well, i guess this is it. goodbye everyone!

@-AJ- @canuck73_3 @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME @CRAZY_4_NAZZY - I guess you guys were my favorite posters here, it's been fun reading you guys. What's next for you? HFboards, reddit...?

Stealth is already setting up a new forum: https://www.forumcanucks.com/

He's not advertising it as well as he should.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
  • Like 2

Welp thats to bad. I liked popping in to the GDT threads to see what people were thinking. Been many years, pretty sure I was in highschool when I first started on an old account I lost my password too.

June 29, 2006

Well nope same account I guess.  Yea just finished grade 11 when I first signed up.

Edited by Russ