The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

Grenier's just a late bloomer, seems like the kinda guy who takes a little longer to improve with each step up he takes. Didn't make it to the QMJHL until he was 19, got drafted 2 years after he was first eligible. Couldn't quite crack the AHL when he turned pro but he excelled in the ECHL. Then made the jump to the AHL and established himself there but he's not quite ready for the NHL. I think we'll see him in some spot duty this year and he could be a permanent NHLer in the future if he can adjust well again.

• 1 month later...

Definitely thought he had a good first game as a Canuck. Excited to see what he can do in Utica this season and how any additional callups will fare for him down the line. I definitely can see him becoming a fixture on our 3rd or 4th line starting as early as next season. He may be a late bloomer but he's looking to be a salvagable piece of the 2011 draft.

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Definitely thought he had a good first game as a Canuck. Excited to see what he can do in Utica this season and how any additional callups will fare for him down the line. I definitely can see him becoming a fixture on our 3rd or 4th line starting as early as next season. He may be a late bloomer but he's looking to be a salvagable piece of the 2011 draft.

Yup, played well I thought. Be good RW depth when we move Vrbata.

• 1 month later...

Any of you guys watching Utica; how is Alex playing overall? Looks like he is picking up a few points recently. Just kinda hoping someone with his size can play well enough for steady 4th line duty in Vancouver next year, or maybe this year if we end up trading away vets and need to fill some roster space.

By the way, same opinion of Jensen. Worth keeping around after this year?

I am a bit scared about Grenier's future here in Vancouver.

With the new aquisition of Etem I think someone else comes in front on him in RW Depth.

I still think he wasn't given a fair chance to prove what he has got with the big club. And I am not sure he likes the way he is treated: called up to be a healthy scratched or playing barely 8 min on the 4th line. I really think he has a potential, great tools (size, strenght) but he hasn't much of a opportunity to prove it. If he isn't given a fair chance until the end of the season, it would really surpise me if he signs another contract with Vancouver. (And this would be very unfortunate to my opignion,).

17 minutes ago, SwissCanucks said:

I am a bit scared about Grenier's future here in Vancouver.

With the new aquisition of Etem I think someone else comes in front on him in RW Depth.

I still think he wasn't given a fair chance to prove what he has got with the big club. And I am not sure he likes the way he is treated: called up to be a healthy scratched or playing barely 8 min on the 4th line. I really think he has a potential, great tools (size, strenght) but he hasn't much of a opportunity to prove it. If he isn't given a fair chance until the end of the season, it would really surpise me if he signs another contract with Vancouver. (And this would be very unfortunate to my opignion,).

Grenier is likely 13th next year IMO.

7 minutes ago, SwissCanucks said:

Not sure he re-sign then... his contract ends at the end of the season.

Grenier will be a RFA after this season so if the Canucks qualify him he really doesn't have much leverage. I could see his agent pushing for a one way contract similar to the $600K deal that Kenins got this year.

7 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Grenier will be a RFA after this season so if the Canucks qualify him he really doesn't have much leverage. I could see his agent pushing for a one way contract similar to the $600K deal that Kenins got this year.

Utica has been emptied out by the Canucks but I had hoped that Grenier would get a long look this spring. Canucks hang on in playoff contention because of a ultra poor Pacifica Division. Still hoping they crash in an effort to draft top 5.

Highly doubt Grenier gets a one way deal unless he gets Canucks games this spring and shows something.  

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Utica has been emptied out by the Canucks but I had hoped that Grenier would get a long look this spring. Canucks hang on in playoff contention because of a ultra poor Pacifica Division. Still hoping they crash in an effort to draft top 5.

Highly doubt Grenier gets a one way deal unless he gets Canucks games this spring and shows something.  

If he can't get a one way then he needs to seriously consider signing in Europe. His AHL side of his contract is $90K this year and I'm sure he could do better in Europe.

Yeah, I feel bad for Grenier too and think he's earned better.  But I do notice that Etem shoots left even though he plays RW (and C for a bit in junior).  Sounds like a guy who could move to LW if needed.  Next year, a 4th line of Etem McCann Grenier  would be awesome but probably unlikely since they're all so inexperienced. 

Grenier looked great on the big club in the one game he got this year.  If we let him walk without taking a longer look that would be really stupid.  Just have to move out some vets...

Archived