The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

yep recency bias. All people remember is that he backhand stick checked a guy and the kid couldn't hold onto his stick so the ref called a penalty and Jake lost the elimination game for Canada. If he had buried his chances they would have done better, but Strome was the appointed leader and 1st line center who should have lead that team. Jake is always going to be a complimentary player, but to say that he didn't have a good tourney that year is just false. At the end of the day it's a team game and that team didn't win. I said he tore it up not that he was a terror, not a big difference I'll grant you that.

Show me where I called someone a troll.... *hint it's several hundred pages back

I'll take off my rose colored glasses when you take off your blinders and stop calling yourself a realist. I watch enough Comets games to have seen his progression last season. Most players take time to develop and break into the league in their early 20's that's some actual realism.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

yep recency bias. All people remember is that he backhand stick checked a guy and the kid couldn't hold onto his stick so the ref called a penalty and Jake lost the elimination game for Canada. If he had buried his chances they would have done better, but Strome was the appointed leader and 1st line center who should have lead that team. Jake is always going to be a complimentary player, but to say that he didn't have a good tourney that year is just false. At the end of the day it's a team game and that team didn't win. I said he tore it up not that he was a terror, not a big difference I'll grant you that.

Show me where I called someone a troll.... *hint it's several hundred pages back

I'll take off my rose colored glasses when you take off your blinders and stop calling yourself a realist. I watch enough Comets games to have seen his progression last season. Most players take time to develop and break into the league in their early 20's that's some actual realism.

He refined the detailed parts of his game but didn't show the offence you'd like from a guy drafted that high, that's the reality of it. I'm not wearing blinders haha. You mentioned defending trolls not several hundred pages back but on this page. He didn't have a good tournament, even without the one dumb penalty he didn't look at all how we would have hoped. If you think he did then our eye for evaluation means beyond nothing to me seeing as it's way off. I'm not saying Jake is garbage, I'm saying until he shows he's a competent NHL player, like guys drafted behind him, then it's fair to

expect criticisms on him. And at this point he doesn't need to be as good as the guys drafted behind him, just an effective 3rd liner and people will be happy at this point. If he turns into a legit top 6 guy then I will GLADLY eat

crow. But in a realists world he will have to show that he can do that

10 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You have used the phrase "fit Jake" like 5000 times in the last 3 pages.  

Better than 'fat' Jake, which is what he certainly used to be.  I'm coming to the conclusion that 'fat' Jake was not very good.  'Fit' Jake is here now, so we will truly see what we have.  If he fails as fit Jake, then we know he's a bust.  I think he will succeed though.  He's going to be able to keep up at both ends of the ice.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Better than 'fat' Jake, which is what he certainly used to be.  I'm coming to the conclusion that 'fat' Jake was not very good.  'Fit' Jake is here now, so we will truly see what we have.  If he fails as fit Jake, then we know he's a bust.  I think he will succeed though.  He's going to be able to keep up at both ends of the ice.

I hope you're right man, I want nothing more than him to be a solid player for us 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I hope you're right man, I want nothing more than him to be a solid player for us 

The thing is; none of use (those saying he's a bust, and those - like me - saying he's going to do well) are right or wrong.  We have yet to see Jake fit, so we don't know.

I'm hopeful:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The thing is; none of use (those saying he's a bust, and those - like me - saying he's going to do well) are right or wrong.  We have yet to see Jake fit, so we don't know.

I'm hopeful:rolleyes:

I totally agree. Being a lifelong Canucks, Blue Jays and Seahawks fan have crushed a lot of my hopefulness haha. I don't mean to sound bitter or anything of that's the way I come across 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I totally agree. Being a lifelong Canucks, Blue Jays and Seahawks fan have crushed a lot of my hopefulness haha. I don't mean to sound bitter or anything of that's the way I come across 

Well, the Jays won back to back in '92 and '93, and the Hawks won in 2014 and should have in 2015.  I'm hoping our Canucks can get a couple super elite guys (one D and one center) so we could PLEASE win one or two soon:)

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well, the Jays won back to back in '92 and '93, and the Hawks won in 2014 and should have in 2015.  I'm hoping our Canucks can get a couple super elite guys (one D and one center) so we could PLEASE win one or two soon:)

I was too young in 92 and 93 to really enjoy them and the Hawks have definitely gotten better over the years but that loss in 2015 was a heartbreaker haha. I'm with you though, hoping for the same thing 

People need to relax.  Jake is still young and still has a ton of potential.  If anyone's following him on Instagram,  it's very encouraging that he appears to be working his *** off in the gym.  I'm seeing a lot of our other prospects on holidays and partying and stuff, Jake is hitting the gym non stop.

I hope to see Jake take another step this upcoming season. I want to see his offensive game grow.  And even if he doesn't make the team out of camp it won't be a bad thing.  A little more time in the AHL will be ok for his development.

• Upvote 2

I still think Jake will be fine.  On a forum like this people have to be prepared to hear positive and negative stuff on a player because nobody is perfect and everyone has areas to improve in.  Granted sometimes I think people go a little to far with the Jake bashing but when people are passionate about their team people will over do it sometimes.  We are all here because we care about our team.  Be careful not to judge people too harshly for passion.B)

Edited by dpn1
  • Upvote 3

11 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

WOW! get over yourself. Say something interesting for a change. I follow you? Or maybe I just see dumb things and call out the author.

Undoubtedly more "I'm disappointed"s forthcoming... because we didn't hear it multiple times in every post up to now.

On 2017-05-30 at 2:09 AM, canuckledraggin said:

Actually Jake was a threat in that tournament and it's the team that didn't come together, revisionist history aside.

Tearing it up was more in reference to his physical play that went along with his play in the middle 6. I'd be interested to see what he could do next to Matthews and on a team of monsters in Winnipeg. 

Lol there's watching a tournament with rose-coloured glasses and then there's this. Unbelievable. Jake definitely did not have a good tournament. 

And Ehlers/Nylander are playing with those players because they've earned it. Jake hasn't even earned the privilege of shining Matthews' skates. 

• Upvote 3

On 2017-5-30 at 9:24 AM, CanuckGAME said:

People need to relax.  Jake is still young and still has a ton of potential.  If anyone's following him on Instagram,  it's very encouraging that he appears to be working his *** off in the gym.  I'm seeing a lot of our other prospects on holidays and partying and stuff, Jake is hitting the gym non stop.

I hope to see Jake take another step this upcoming season. I want to see his offensive game grow.  And even if he doesn't make the team out of camp it won't be a bad thing.  A little more time in the AHL will be ok for his development.

Wow he looks big too unlike in Utica where he looked to have burned off 40 lbs over the course of the season.

11 hours ago, guntrix said:

Lol there's watching a tournament with rose-coloured glasses and then there's this. Unbelievable. Jake definitely did not have a good tournament. 

And Ehlers/Nylander are playing with those players because they've earned it. Jake hasn't even earned the privilege of shining Matthews' skates. 

You should take off your Vader helmet and try looking at the world through rose coloured glasses. I get it. Hockey is results based and winning depends on outscoring the other team, but he was playing his game, and the same thing happened last year in the AHL.

The AHL isn't some joke league and the level of compete makes everyone look mediocre. Go look at the scoring leaders in the AHL and pick out the young guys. 

Your 2nd point is only true in a parallel universe where the Canucks drafted one of those guys instead of Virtanen. We'll never know what you have happened if we drafted those guys because we didn't. Would they even have made the Canucks roster? 

Nylander would have done the same thing I believe, but Ehlers was surrounded by giants and they didn't need to worry about him get pushed around on a team like the Canucks had.

And Matthews could make anyone look good. He is a huge reason Nylander was as effective and likely the main reason his game took a quantum leap this year. That kid is a generational talent for a reason.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

You should take off your Vader helmet and try looking at the world through rose coloured glasses. I get it. Hockey is results based and winning depends on outscoring the other team, but he was playing his game, and the same thing happened last year in the AHL.

The AHL isn't some joke league and the level of compete makes everyone look mediocre. Go look at the scoring leaders in the AHL and pick out the young guys. 

AHL level.

5th - Dal Colle 75 gp 41 points .55ppg

Jake virtanen 65 gp 19 points .29ppg

7th -  Fleury 69gp 26 points .42ppg

8th - Nylander 38 gp 45 points 1.18ppg

9th - Ehlers didn't play

10th - Ritchie 38 gp 30 points .789ppg

11th - Fiala 66 gp 50 points .757ppg

12th- Perlini 17 gp 19 points 1.12ppg

13th- Vrana 49 gp 36 points .734ppg

14th - Honka 50 gp 31 points .68ppg

15th Larkin didn't play

16th - Milano 63 gp 47 points .75ppg

17th - Sanhiem 76gp  37points .49ppg

18th - Tuch 57gp 37 points .65ppg

19th - DeAngelo 69gp 43 points .623ppg

20th - Schmaltz 12 gp 9 points .75ppg

21st - Fabbri didn't play

22nd - Kapanen 43gp 43 points 1.0ppg

23 Bleackley 45gp 10 points .22ppg

24th - McCann 42gp 25 points .595ppg

25th Pastrnak didn't play

26th - Scherbak 66gp 41 points .62ppg

27th - Goldobin 49gp 45 points .918ppg

28th - Ho sang 50gp 36 points .78ppg

29th Kempe 46 gp 20 points .434ppg

30th - Quenneville 58gp 46 points .79ppg

Only one player in the entire first round in his draft year has worse offensive production than him at the AHL level and Bleackley was such a bust that he got redrafted..  Everyone else is able to put up points, and they are doing so at quite a bit of a large rate than Jake......Hope the kid can turn it around but he's got a long long way to go and a lot to prove.  At this point he's closer to a massive disappointment than a success for the team,  he needs a massive summer of training, because it's contract season at the end of next year.

• Upvote 4