The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I was never a fan of the Virtanen pick at 6, that's not his fault I just had my heart set on Ehlers. His first few years post being drafted I was beyond disappointed with him, I'm sure I was comparing him to a couple other guys in his class which isn't how to judge a prospects ability or potential, but it was also what seemed to me to be his lack of caring and preparation that angered me. I feel much differently about him as a player after a small sample size this season, I don't know if I ever think he truly taps into the offensive potential that is obviously there, but if he brings the energy, love and passion he has so far this season than I see a long career for him with our favorite organization. He's taking huge strides in the right direction. 

• Upvote 4

Jake seems to be doing well in front of the net and I think he would be an upgrade as a net front presence on the powerplay.  I would not mind seeing him get some time on the PK as well.  Maybe on the last pairing to use his speed as a shorthanded goal scoring threat. 

Edited by dpn1

On 5/7/2017 at 8:32 PM, Get real canuck fans said:

Bennett has 31 goals and 31 assists in 156 nhl games  and missed almost an entire year before that.  Jake has 7 goals and 7 assists in 65 nhl games. Michael Dal Colle had 15 goals and 26 assists in 75 ahl games this season and jake had 9 goals and 10 assists in 65 ahl games this season. Pretty sure if the draft was done again jake would be picked after all the players you mentioned. 

:sadno:

Still take Jake over Bennett or Dal Colle.  

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Jake should ask Biega to teach him how to hit. Biega is a ninja master with timing, leverage, and using his speed on the forecheck.

I like the way Biega hits, but Jake's hits can be devastating. While Jake still has areas of his game that need work, I don't think hitting is really one of them.

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

I like the way Biega hits, but Jake's hits can be devastating. While Jake still has areas of his game that need work, I don't think hitting is really one of them.

I was thinking how Biega hits legally and with force.  To avoid penalty trouble in the future. While Biegas here that is.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I'm with you.  Jake still can get his timing a bit better, but I think his hitting is generally very good.

I'd say overall Jake did what he needed to do to make himself finally relevant in the NHL game.  Now it is just a matter of continued improvement and experience.  As happy as I am to see his improvement, I still think there is minimal chance he is going to be that elite 2nd line guy we were expecting.  Even still, having his skillset and ability to move up and down the lineup is going to end up being a strong key piece of our team going forward.

I know the popular thing to do is hate on Virtanen and compare him to ehlers and nylander, but let’s not forget that 2 spits ahead of Virtanen in the draft Calgary took Sam Bennett who has 0 points in 13 games this season. At least we have a contributing forward on our team who brings a physical element to the game and is helping the team even when he’s not scoring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

I know the popular thing to do is hate on Virtanen and compare him to ehlers and nylander, but let’s not forget that 2 spits ahead of Virtanen in the draft Calgary took Sam Bennett who has 0 points in 13 games this season. At least we have a contributing forward on our team who brings a physical element to the game and is helping the team even when he’s not scoring. 

Not anymore. So many people are changing their tune that I haven't seen anyone hate on him in a long while.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not anymore. So many people are changing their tune that I haven't seen anyone hate on him in a long while.

One or two more consecutive losses along with one or two more games with no points for Jake, and they will be back. He'll never be likely to match Ehler's production (at least in the regular season), so some will never give up on hating on him. 

Edited by WeneedLumme

On 11/1/2017 at 6:40 AM, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I was never a fan of the Virtanen pick at 6, that's not his fault I just had my heart set on Ehlers. His first few years post being drafted I was beyond disappointed with him, I'm sure I was comparing him to a couple other guys in his class which isn't how to judge a prospects ability or potential, but it was also what seemed to me to be his lack of caring and preparation that angered me. I feel much differently about him as a player after a small sample size this season, I don't know if I ever think he truly taps into the offensive potential that is obviously there, but if he brings the energy, love and passion he has so far this season than I see a long career for him with our favorite organization. He's taking huge strides in the right direction. 

Same here but I've come to terms with it by thinking down the road. If we need to re-sign Boeser, EP, and our next draft pick to huge contracts a few years from now, we wouldn't have a lot of cap space with Nylander/Ehlers on our books if we had them now. With Jake, we'll probably manage to get him on a much cheaper contract and possibly better value than the other two.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

Same here but I've come to terms with it by thinking down the road. If we need to re-sign Boeser, EP, and our next draft pick to huge contracts a few years from now, we wouldn't have a lot of cap space with Nylander/Ehlers on our books if we had them now. With Jake, we'll probably manage to get him on a much cheaper contract and possibly better value than the other two.

Very true, JB might be able to secure him for a long time at a low cost similar to Burrows. It really all depends on how Jake finishes off the year. If he can figure out how to pick those corners he is going to get a lot of goals.

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

One or two more consecutive losses along with one or two more games with no points for Jake, and they will be back. He'll never be likely to match Ehler's production (at least in the regular season), so some will never give up on hating on him. 

So what happens if the Canucks ever get healthy? I'm guaranteeing that Jake is the odd man out and spends time in Utica this year. I've been a staunch supporter of Jake against the discontent, but the way that JB put the team together this year was in response to the injury problems that has plagued this team during his tenure.

Granted he's playing his best hockey as a pro, but there is a lot more he can learn and he needs the special team and top 6 minutes that he would be getting in Utica.

He's definitely the poster child for why fans need to be patient with prospects. There's a reason players don't become waiver eligible for 5 years unless teams start to burn years off their deals. 

His hand-eye, skating, hitting and shot are still the reasons he was drafted and he will be a valuable player at a bargain in his next few seasons.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Very true, JB might be able to secure him for a long time at a low cost similar to Burrows. It really all depends on how Jake finishes off the year. If he can figure out how to pick those corners he is going to get a lot of goals.

if he can pick those corners. hasn’t been able to do it just yet on a consistent basis. 

9 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

I would like to see Jake put on a line where he can use all his tools. I feel the sedins slow him down . pencil him on a different line. every once in a while, free him up.

I wonder if we're going to have to see Green healthy scratch the Sedins for a few games this year to see what we really have in Jake and Gaunce as a potential line pair? I wouldn't mind seeing what a line of Jake-Gaunce-Goldy could do. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if we're going to have to see Green healthy scratch the Sedins for a few games this year to see what we really have in Jake and Gaunce as a potential line pair? I wouldn't mind seeing what a line of Jake-Gaunce-Goldy could do. 

Seriously, you are bang on. This season should be all about trying ideas like that. IMHO playing wing for the Twins is like being sentenced to hard labor. Tad strong I guess. Virtanen's best play last night was stripping the puck on the back check and turning back onto the Pitt net. Beautiful move.  

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Seriously, you are bang on. This season should be all about trying ideas like that. IMHO playing wing for the Twins is like being sentenced to hard labor. Tad strong I guess. Virtanen's best play last night was stripping the puck on the back check and turning back onto the Pitt net. Beautiful move.  

That play was a beauty. Thats the new Jake, he saw a chance to be effective and took it. As far as I can tell he's not sulking about the lower minutes either.