The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Benning's made it pretty clear in recent interviews that he's targeting a playmaking centre and/or PPQB this draft, citing that very reason -- they've stocked up on scoring (potential) wingers and now need the players to get them the puck.

Middlestadt or Makar?  Both would be great!

I remember when Button had Virtanen at 40 something on his list while everywhere else he was top 10. I thought, Button be crazy. But now it looks like he may have been on to something. Though 40 something is a high Round 2 pick... so maybe we should expect his development/peak to be similar to a typical High Round 2 guy... picked at #6. Yay. 

17 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Really? Trying to use Ekblad and Reinhart as reasons to support your case about not crying over Nylander and Ehlers? Even Bennett who's had a down year after a decent rookie campaign, doesn't help you. Dal Colle does but pretty much no one on this board wanted him before the draft anyway so why would we care if the Islanders drafted him (and his 39 points in the AHL which is still better than Virtanen)?

But no need to discuss this with someone who clearly doesn't understand the meaning of the phrase 'bust' when it comes to pro hockey players (at least if you want to throw it around in this context), and who ignores that I've never said that phrase in relation to Virtanen or cried even once. I'm just pointing out the obvious in reply to people who think we should just ignore the subject of better draft choices because Jake's doing the right things and finally had his first multi-point game in the AHL.

Go ahead though, ignore that if we redid this draft knowing the other players we've since added to the system we wouldn't have to pick that power forward player again mostly because he was the home town kid. We would have had a lot more leeway to go with elite skill over size.

The word bust is not a phrase hehe. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Benning's made it pretty clear in recent interviews that he's targeting a playmaking centre and/or PPQB this draft, citing that very reason -- they've stocked up on scoring (potential) wingers and now need the players to get them the puck.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Benning has to say publicly about the draft. He might be deflecting with regards to other GM's. He's not going to just expose his plans to the public. With that being said. It is Benning. And he's been for the most part quite honest with the media here. Maybe too a fault. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Benning has to say publicly about the draft. He might be deflecting with regards to other GM's. He's not going to just expose his plans to the public. With that being said. It is Benning. And he's been for the most part quite honest with the media here. Maybe too a fault. 

Benning isn't revealing anything.  McKenzie has 1 winger in his top 8 and Buttons first winger is no 10.  It's pretty safe to say that there will be good centres or defense available when Benning picks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't think there's any need to deflect when most of the top 10 ranked players are centers and defenders. He's going to get what he wants regardless.

13 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I don't think there's any need to deflect when most of the top 10 ranked players are centers and defenders. He's going to get what he wants regardless.

We've seen that he doesn't like to go with the obvious pick for his high picks.

1 minute ago, Butters Stoch said:

We've seen that he doesn't like to go with the obvious pick for his high picks.

With Virtanen, sure, but I considered Juolevi the obvious pick for this team at the time so I think that one is a matter of opinion (with self-admission that it's too early to say whether or not he was a smart pick).

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bohoforpresident said:

You must be European.

The comments about those players were tongue in cheek not to say they aren't good players....

But I honestly believe players like them are in every draft year. And there is definitely star players in every draft.The thing you aren't taking into account is that more players are starting to be able to come into the NHL and produce at a young age. Its going to be more and more common players putting up those points when they first come in. Development is just that much better. But still not all players. Plus playing with generational talent (which Ehlers/nylander aren't) and first line players couldn't hurt their stats...

You have your opinion on what you like to see a team built around and I have mine... But I prefer players with grit and the strength to back it up :P

It wasn't salty at all thats just how you chose to read it. You have a salty mind.

Its true. We will have to judge these players in the playoffs too. Regular season stats are good and grand and all but we all know the playoffs it all changes. Players get away with a whole lot more. The games become much more of a battle of grit and grind. Less open ice and more chippy stuff. Loya of these skill players disappear. Virtanen has a style that I believe will be awesome in the playoffs.

And I really do like Ehlers and Nylander. But I am still excited about Jake.

I think he will need a few NHL seasons to put it together fully. Jake at 23 or 24 with his full strength could be crazy. When the game slows down a bit for him and he plays smarter hockey he could be a great top 6 forward as well.

Edited by Bobby_Lu1ngo
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Not to mention that before Torres played for the Canucks, he peaked out as a 20-goal scorer. I'd be fine with a few years of 20+ goals from Virtanen.

With those standards I believe you will be rewarded.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

So which is it? lol

He was straight-forward last year when he said there was a d-man in his "top 5 or 6" amongst the forwards.

4 hours ago, BananaMash said:

I hope so! we need a good player coming out of the draft. an elite player. 

16 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

JB cops a lot of heat for some of the moves he's made but since coming in he's identified the team's needs and done the best with what's been available to secure it. Now he's just doing more of the same.

I hope we go for a center this draft though. No elite centers but not really any elite defencemen either and we've got potential PPQBs in Stecher, Hutton, Subban and Juolevi. I'd rather let them pan out and go hard for someone like Hirschier this year. I know JB seems high on Mittelstatd but if the opportunity comes I hope he tries to trade up for Hirschier. I think his list has to read Hirschier > Patrick > Mittelstatd = Vilardi > Necas > everyone else

Edited by DownUndaCanuck
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bobby_Lu1ngo said:

Its true. We will have to judge these players in the playoffs too. Regular season stats are good and grand and all but we all know the playoffs it all changes. Players get away with a whole lot more. The games become much more of a battle of grit and grind. Less open ice and more chippy stuff. Loya of these skill players disappear. Virtanen has a style that I believe will be awesome in the playoffs.

And I really do like Ehlers and Nylander. But I am still excited about Jake.

I think he will need a few NHL seasons to put it together fully. Jake at 23 or 24 with his full strength could be crazy. When the game slows down a bit for him and he plays smarter hockey he could be a great top 6 forward as well.

This is a play Nylander made yesterday:

Look at how he nutmegs the defender on the blueline, then makes a pinpoint pass right to Matthews. Nobody currently in the canucks organization has this level of skill, let alone the confidence to pull it off. If Nylander even misses the nutmeg by a little bit, its a breakaway for the other team. This is what you can't teach, and this is why you always draft Nylander/Ehlers over Virtanen. For unteachable plays like this he makes every game.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BananaMash said:

With Virtanen, sure, but I considered Juolevi the obvious pick for this team at the time so I think that one is a matter of opinion (with self-admission that it's too early to say whether or not he was a smart pick).

McKenzie had Virtanen at 7, since his is a consensus ranking, he was no surprise as the 6th pick.  His name came up at 6 in many mock drafts as well.  Button was the odd ball ranking him at 43 but he's been the odd ball before.