The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Matt O'Connor signs 2 year deal with Sens

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ncaa-goalie-matt-oconnor-signs-with-senators/

@reporterchris:

The #sens gave Matt O'Connor a two-year contract.

@SportsnetSpec:

O'Connor gets max entry level deal for his age: Two-year, two-way deal that max'es out at $925K in NHL, bonuses in.

Well that's surprising. Surely thought it'd be one of Vancouver or Edmonton.

those that thought we would sign him...

We have other players to sign, and we are set in goal with Markstrom/Demko/Lack/Eriksson.

Getting Matt Oconnor means that we'll have an unnecessary log jam and it'll also take a spot away from other players. Good luck to him in Ottawa.

Would've thought we'd be a strong contender for him among Ottawa, NYR, Edmonton or us.

NYR: has Lundqvist for the foreseeable future, doubt he'd get to play much.
Edmonton: strong offense can't always overcome crappy defense, poor choice of place to start his career IMO

Ottawa/ Van: we're both very well stocked in NHL goalies.

Upside-wise I think the Sens would be the smart choice though, their core is much younger than ours (Zibanejad/ Turris/ Stone/ Karlsson are all 25 or younger), and it'd probably be easier to win for awhile in the future with a growing group like that if the Sens do trade another goalie.

those that thought we would sign him...

We have other players to sign, and we are set in goal with Markstrom/Demko/Lack/Eriksson.

Getting Matt Oconnor means that we'll have an unnecessary log jam and it'll also take a spot away from other players. Good luck to him in Ottawa.

A free asset is never a bad thing. An unnecessary log jam to you is expendable assets to Benning.

Canucks are pretty set in net for depth so this doesn't hurt nearly as much as the Schultz decision. That and, for whatever reason, I don't mind losing out to Ottawa on this so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Archived