The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

In that quote, Benning mean't that they would have liked Gaudette to play in Utica last year.  I don't think that damage was done to him by playing so much with the Canucks because he was improving very slowly and eventually started showing flashes of the offense that they hope he will bring eventually. 

Should he be the 3C at the beginning of next season?  That is a big question.  Should they feel free to move on from Sutter?  A healthy Sutter really helps with team defense and the PK and clearly, a -29 goal differential shows that they need help here.  Not to say the defense needs to get better as well.  But I think that the development of Gaudette really answers that question and they don't know the answer yet.

Big picture, I think they want to add 2 players:  a top line LW and a RHD.  They also need a RW to play with Horvat.  On the present roster, this could be Eriksson, Granlund or it could be Sutter if they think that Gaudette has progressed.  But filling that spot with a free agent prevents Virtanen from moving up (if he ever does) and makes room for MacEwen. 

I'm just not so sure that Benning gives up on his strategy to have a solid bottom 6 centred by Sutter and Beagle that they started out with at the beginning of last season and never really took hold because of injuries. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gaudette start the year in Utica but he's close to being the 3C.  Very close

Agreed on all.

i wouldn’t even mind seeing if he could fit into that RW spot in the short-medium term. 

Maybe he could do something more than Eriksson/Granlund/etc have been able to produce in frustrating 2nd line opportunities 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 9:18 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

Unpopular opinion: Gaudette is still a very raw player, he should log big minutes in Utica instead of being on the roster next year.

Unless if he proves things at the start of next season (and who knows, he might), I totally agree here. Don't rush him. Let him develop.

Some people are just impatient. It almost reminds me of the video game industry where everyone wants it now and done perfectly their way, nevermind that there's such a thing as development of the game that has to take place and that there are other people who also play the game that play the game differently!

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

I really don't understand the reasoning behind Gaudette's place in the organization last season. Should have played in Utica for most of the season as an offensive #1 center, maybe 10-20 games with the Canucks in a stint or two, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, J-P said:

I really don't understand the reasoning behind Gaudette's place in the organization last season. Should have played in Utica for most of the season as an offensive #1 center, maybe 10-20 games with the Canucks in a stint or two, not the other way around.

You dont understand that he was the beat option while sutter was injured? We were in the playoff hunt. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Sutter's injury was the primary reason. When Sutter was healthy for a few games in the middle of the season, that's when Gaudette was sent down. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

You dont understand that he was the beat option while sutter was injured? We were in the playoff hunt. 

My priority is a few years down the line when we’re hopefully contending.  Benning’s should’ve been too. 

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Sutter's injury was the primary reason. When Sutter was healthy for a few games in the middle of the season, that's when Gaudette was sent down. 

True, but forcing youngsters on to the roster when they’re not ready (McCann, Virtanen) is not a recipe for success IMO. This has improved though, MacEwen, EP, Sautner where all put in a place to succeed and ready. 

Depends on what you believe the ceiling for AG is I guess. He was ready to grind it out with sheltered deployment in the NHL, but like with Virtanen I believe his offensive game would have benefited from AHL. 

1 hour ago, J-P said:

True, but forcing youngsters on to the roster when they’re not ready (McCann, Virtanen) is not a recipe for success IMO. This has improved though, MacEwen, EP, Sautner where all put in a place to succeed and ready. 

Depends on what you believe the ceiling for AG is I guess. He was ready to grind it out with sheltered deployment in the NHL, but like with Virtanen I believe his offensive game would have benefited from AHL. 

Generally, I'd agree, but who do you think we should've played instead? Tanner Kero, Cam Darcy, Brendan Woods? Kero is the only one who could plausibly have been better than Gaudette. We were kind of between a rock and a hard place. The hope is that injuries are minor next year at centre so Gaudette can have more time to mature in Utica instead of being thrown to the wolves in the NHL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Generally, I'd agree, but who do you think we should've played instead? Tanner Kero, Cam Darcy, Brendan Woods? Kero is the only one who could plausibly have been better than Gaudette. We were kind of between a rock and a hard place. The hope is that injuries are minor next year at centre so Gaudette can have more time to mature in Utica instead of being thrown to the wolves in the NHL.

Sam Gagner. 

Just now, mll said:

Sam Gagner. 

I'd say you actually have a case there, but the Canucks seemed pretty decided that Gagner's time in Vancouver was done (except for his stint when injuries really piled up). Gagner was very good with the Marlies and probably would've been better than Gaudette, so I will grant you that one. Of course, by the year's end that wasn't a possibility anymore.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Gaunce. Dude looked good in his few stints. 3 points in 3 games, 40% ozone starts, only got like 7-8 minutes a game though. He didn't get a fair shake last season. It's not like Gaudette played center all that much anyway, averaged like 6 faceoffs a game. Boucher could have played, Gagner before his trade. There were options. Guess management and the coaching staff wanted to see what they had. Gaudette isn't exactly super young. 22 is about the age most guys start to flirt with the NHL so I am not overly upset about him not being in Utica all year, but it probably would have been more beneficial.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Gaunce. Dude looked good in his few stints. 3 points in 3 games, 40% ozone starts, only got like 7-8 minutes a game though. He didn't get a fair shake last season. It's not like Gaudette played center all that much anyway, averaged like 6 faceoffs a game. Boucher could have played, Gagner before his trade. There were options. Guess management and the coaching staff wanted to see what they had. Gaudette isn't exactly super young. 22 is about the age most guys start to flirt with the NHL so I am not overly upset about him not being in Utica all year, but it probably would have been more beneficial.

Gaunce would have been a good option, yeah. Boucher played wing in Utica this year, but he's been a centre before as well. Looks like I forgot a few options.

5 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Gaudette has a motor. Gaunce has no motor.  Big difference between these two.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well if we can't sign a winger or trade for one I am hoping they give Gaudette a try on Bo's RW:

JT - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Bo - Gaudette

**Eriksson/Baertschi - Sutter - Leivo

Motte - Beagle - Virtanen

Extras: Goldobin - Schaller

Roussel - IR

**Eriksson - traded or waived and demoted to Utica - I know 

On 7/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, Where's Wellwood said:

Is Gaudette still exempt from waivers?

Anybody who wants to move Gaudette, at this stage, should be smothered with a pillow in their sleep 

Edited by Canorth
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...