The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best/Worst Ball Parks in Baseball

g_bassi13

There's a lot of things that can go into what makes a great ball park, and I was wondering what that was for people here and what they find more important than others. The architecture/aesthetics, the atmosphere/fan experience, the history it holds and the characters it carries, where it's located, how the game actually plays out in it, etc.

I've only ever been to one MLB stadium in person (Safeco), so like most people here my opinion is based on hearsay, what can be read about them, and what can be seen on TV. But from these same metrics I was wondering what others thought made for the best/unique ball parks, or conversely what the most dismal ones are.

I think the two best ones are the obvious answers, in Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. But they are the obvious answers for the right reasons. They're the only stadiums with a century of pedigree, with essentially 50 years of history to hold over the next closest ones. They're not championship rich, but they can fill someone who wasn't even alive for most of those years with a sense of nostalgia about the sport. The Green monster and the Ivy walls are iconic in a way that any of the new wave of stadiums couldn't match.

5XeL1bn.jpg

pheEPBa.jpg

I think AT&T park in San Fransisco has the most character of any of the more recent stadiums, and it's location with the low fence by the pier just gives it that look that no other place has.

0GN9xbk.jpg

Both Busch Stadium and PNC Park open up with outfield looks that capture their city's and their skylines in an iconic manner. That shortened outfield with that smart positioning has them hit the mark.

HU26sMs.jpg

CWDUhGk.jpg

On the worse side of things, again, Tropicana Field in Tampa takes what seems like the obvious award here. I think it's especially unique to have a stadium that was both massively out of place as a baseball field and a hockey rink in its lifetime. It's a drab dome that is not fun to look at, and it seems to only be unique for the wrong reasons. I can't get beyond the Thunderdome.

ZcDZc5K.jpg

The O.co Coliseum is a remnant of an older time, and is one of those older multipurpose stadiums that wasn't torn down, when it needs to be. Like Tampa's, it fails to bring in the crowds, and it's easy to see why it works against the on field product in bringing people to games.

3Rrxe3P.jpg

My personal least favourite stadium though is US Cellular Field in South Chicago. It was the first in the wave of baseball specific venues that opened in the 90's so it's at the disadvantage of having little to work off of. But in replacing the previously oldest standing ball park in all of baseball in Comiskey Park, it would have been nice if was replaced with something a little less impersonal and bland. I think if you're replacing such an iconic park, you're best attempting to do what they Yankees did and find a way to incorporate the history and design of what you're taking away (more than just the scoreboard). Or find a way to incorporate the industrial nature of its surroundings better. Maybe someone that's been there can tell me it's a good experience, because it doesn't feel like one to me.

3Vxu91x.jpg

So I was wondering what you people think. What are your favourite parks to watch? If you have any experience at any park, how was it?

Going to St. Louis or San Fran to catch a ball game would be awesome. I'd pay extra just to get the perfect panoramic view of the skyline/water while being as close to the field as possible without compromising said view. I'm a sucker for stuff like that on first visits.

I'll add Camden Yards to your list (with the disclaimer of not having been there). Perhaps it stems from my respect for Cal Ripken Jr and having watched him reach an insane record of 2632 consecutive games, but I always liked watching games hosted by the Orioles.

2ih58gi.jpg

I've heard AT&T is an awesome park to see a game. Personally, the best I've experienced is Busch Stadium. It was back in 08 or 09, whenever CC got traded to the Brewers, and it was a Brewers/Cards game in St. Louis in September with the two teams fighting for playoff spots. It was unbelievable.

I've heard PNC Park in Pittsburgh is a great place to watch a game. A few commentators I've heard on TV have said it's the best atmosphere in baseball, as evidenced by Johnny Cueto...

Only major league ball parks I've been to have been Safeco and the Kingdome before that. Was pretty young when I went to the Kingdome so Safeco kind of wins by default. Not a fan of Yankee Stadium, 99% of the reason is the ludicrous short porch in right they have. That short porch has turned good players into baseball legends over the years. It's like if the Montreal Canadiens were allowed to have smaller nets and all of a sudden many of their goalies become legends.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been outside of Fantasy Hockey much so I didn't see this thread. If I was here when this thread was active I would have been a big participant as baseball ballparks are something that I am passionate about. Just looked through a list of MLB teams and I have visited 18 MLB Ballparks. I hope to visit all 30 one day

Here's my Foam Finger collection. Missing ones that I have visited: Citizens Bank Park, Wrigley Field, Petco Park, Rogers Center, Nationals Park

aPhQNpUh.jpg

Of the 18, AT&T Park has to be my favourite, with PNC Park and Camden Yards as honourable mentions. And honestly, Safeco is pretty wonderful as well though I may be a bit biased for that one because I have had many memories there

Apart from staying at the Skydome Hotel once and watching the game from my room, which was cool, I've only been to 2 crappy ones. The old Kingdome was dingy and the Big O in Montreal looked like it was built for an Olympics and neglected for 20 years and it looked like they had draped a gigantic orange tarp over the roof opening. I got rained out of going to a Yankees game at the old stadium.

I haven't been in a few years but 'The Nat' is a great place to watch a ball game.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this thread. I am also on a quest to see games in all stadiums.....for all sports.

For baseball I think I am at 14 current stadiums as well as 2 stadiums that are gone.

Worst.....Tropicana Field. Not even close. Worst by far. Maybe Oakland, but at least your outside in California.

I enjoy watching games in Oakland, but AT&T is close and way way nicer.

Not a fan of the older stadiums like Fenway of Wrigley. Cute to see once, but I would hate to go to games regularly.

AT&T, Coors, Safeco, Petco all great. San Diego always seems to have a very laid back crowd, when I have been its always half full.

Haven't been outside of Fantasy Hockey much so I didn't see this thread. If I was here when this thread was active I would have been a big participant as baseball ballparks are something that I am passionate about. Just looked through a list of MLB teams and I have visited 18 MLB Ballparks. I hope to visit all 30 one day

Here's my Foam Finger collection. Missing ones that I have visited: Citizens Bank Park, Wrigley Field, Petco Park, Rogers Center, Nationals Park

aPhQNpUh.jpg

That is one of the cooler ideas I've seen before.

I've only been to Safeco, Busch, and Angels Stadium before. Of the three, I'd say Safeco is my fave. Angels is in definite need of a makeover. Busch was fantastic too.

That is one of the cooler ideas I've seen before.

I've only been to Safeco, Busch, and Angels Stadium before. Of the three, I'd say Safeco is my fave. Angels is in definite need of a makeover. Busch was fantastic too.

Thanks dude! A lot of time and money invested into this. Foam fingers aren't cheap haha

Also, saw a game (can't remember which one) of the 2008 NLCS (Phils vs Dodgers) at Dodger Stadium that ended up being a pretty dam good one. Dodgers went up like 5-0 in the first and the Phillies ended up coming back to win the game, with the benches clearing once or twice in the process. That was a a fantastic game to watch. Been to Dodger Stadium two other times, IMO it's old enough to kinda suck but not old enough to really have that character/charm the way Wrigley or Fenway do. Not a terrible place to watch a game (better than the Kingdome and probably better than Tropicana, at least I imagine) but not the best. Getting to and from the stadium can be an absolute batch in traffic.

Archived