The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think that Benning isn't being fair with some of the Canucks prospects? (Read desc)

MattCanuck

1 hour ago, Cowardrobertford said:

6th overall advantage I'll say.

Hunter fell to 23-24...he was tabbed all year of his draft as a top 10.....I think its a trade off at this point with Jake and Hunter..one hits ..the other can snipe and shake.....I look at them both as top 10 picks...Hunter will be among us soon.

30 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

why ask us... we don't have a clue ...none of us have ever managed an nhl team...

Joe good to see you ...that is a favorite of yours..none of us are managers..lol...good thing I guess...but it is a chat board..we would all be kissing every players butt if there was no differing of opinion...its what it is.

Um, what?

Rookies who play the best will have the best chance of getting into the lineup. If players like Shinkaruk and Kenins aren't in the lineup, it's because they're not considered the best option for that game. The coaches job is to use the assets provided to win games, or at least to provide a competitive team on the ice each night.

The fact that he gave Shinkaruk 1 game shows Shinkaruk that he's headed on the right path. He'll now likely be more motivated to continue his development in order to be ready to make it to the NHL full time. Now that he's played an NHL game, he knows what it feels like. He knows more about what he needs to improve on, even after 1 game because he's had that taste. Could he have been played more than 1 game? Sure, but we also don't want to rush him either.

Fair, really? "The big bad GM isn't noticing me enough to intervene in the coaches decision."

Sure, the GM maybe makes the actual call to Utica, but when "they" (Managment and Coaching staff) decide they want to try Shink against a skill team and Grenier against a big team, they're recognising these guys for the player they are and giving them the best chance to succeed. I'd say that's pretty fair. And also potentially serves to boost their value.

Fair.. pffft. Ask a zebra about fair.

After reading the responses, i see what you guys mean, but like how can a player prove themself because of 1 NHL game? it takes  time of getting use to it because its not the same as the AHL, Even with Willie scratching Virtanen and its like why not do something more with him.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Um, what?

Rookies who play the best will have the best chance of getting into the lineup. If players like Shinkaruk and Kenins aren't in the lineup, it's because they're not considered the best option for that game. The coaches job is to use the assets provided to win games, or at least to provide a competitive team on the ice each night.

The fact that he gave Shinkaruk 1 game shows Shinkaruk that he's headed on the right path. He'll now likely be more motivated to continue his development in order to be ready to make it to the NHL full time. Now that he's played an NHL game, he knows what it feels like. He knows more about what he needs to improve on, even after 1 game because he's had that taste. Could he have been played more than 1 game? Sure, but we also don't want to rush him either.

Yes. Besides they are professional athletes in an entertainment business. "Fair" really isn't a factor.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

No one has been unfair to those prospects imo - not JB and not WD.

They had an equal opportunity to earn a roster spot in training camp and the preseason.  McCann and Virtanen stepped up and took those spots.  They may have had a very slight situational advantage given the fact they'd have to be sent back to junior, but I think they earned in nevertheless.  The other prospects need to force their way onto the roster, and they may be playing well in Utica, but they haven't done that yet imo.

2 hours ago, babych said:

Dude, you need to understand that a lot of the AHL players are getting only 1 game to

a) get an NHL paycheque as a reward

B) get experience living the NHL life in terms of schedule/expectations, and

c) whet their appetites for being in the show.

I think you need to chill.

Babych

3 hours ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Really, virt beat gaunce, shink, or Ronnie Kenins? 

I have to jump on the bandwagon started rolling by Oldnews and Babych. The two young guys who surprised everyone by showing they belonged -- McCann and Hutton -- actually made the team. This showed that Benning was being honest in saying that young guys would get a shot to play in the NHL if they earned it.

It is nice to see Shinkaruk making progress this year, but I think he needs to show at least half a season of high level performance at the AHL level. He certainly has not earned a spot yet.

Gaunce is the closest guy on Utica to being ready and, I actually agree with Coward that he looked at least as good as Virtanen in pre-season and so far this year. But Gaunce can play in Utica and can go up and down while Virtanen cannot. In a close call (Gaunce vs. Virtanen) that consideration is important and we can't blame Benning for that.

I don't know which other young guy is in the picture. Kenins has been injured most of the season and, frankly, has not been very good after his first few weeks with the Canucks last year. I doubt if he will ever be an NHL regular. And obviously Jensen has not earned a spot and neither has Grenier or Vey.

There are some legitimate criticisms of Benning we could make, but failing to give young guys a chance is not one of them. And cycling Utica guys through the team for short visits is a perk from their point of view, as pointed out by Babych.

I think the type of player determines who comes up to play with the big club...If any of the top 6 gets depleted through injury,you would see Hunter back up here..Bottom 6,you would see Gaunce....I thought Grenier looked pretty decent up here for his game.

I dont know what's happened to Kenins...He used to be the human bowling ball,but in training camp,he thought he was Patrick Kane...Maybe that's why he's been a healthy scratch in Utica.

2 hours ago, babych said:

Dude, you need to understand that a lot of the AHL players are getting only 1 game to

a) get an NHL paycheque as a reward

B) get experience living the NHL life in terms of schedule/expectations, and

c) whet their appetites for being in the show.

I think you need to chill.

Babych

It's about player development (learning).  So, I'd like to add something to this:

Shinkaruk has made a nice step forward this year in Utica.  He has been doing really well and over a year and a bit of AHL play, he is now getting results.  In other words, he is successfully making the jump from Junior to AHL.

Now you say, how fair is it that he only gets 1 game with the Canucks?  What that 1 game showed him was how much more he needs to improve in order to make the next step.  He can see how the vets prepare, how hard they work and how hard they have to continue to work to be successful NHL players.  If he thought that he was pretty hot stuff as a point a game player in Utica, he now knows that it's going to take a lot more.  If he learned anything, he won't be complacent.

Notice how Benning is going through Utica's line up and giving a lot of prospects a look at what the regular season is really like in the show.  Biega, Fedun, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Grenier and the latest Pedan are all getting a look at what it really takes.  Also, these guys know now that they are part of a bigger team and are in Jim Bennings plans for the future.

When I look around the league I continually see rookies getting under 10 min a game so WD isn't the only coach who shelters his rookies. Problem is we have so many of them.  I'd prefer to see Virt and McCann sent down and developed slowly and let the guys who've put in the time get the spots they've earned (Gaunce mostly).  However I like that Gaunce and Shinkaruk are getting the opportunity to be the go to players in Utica, they're getting lots of playing time and gaining confidence and developing properly. Better in the long run. 

5 hours ago, MattCanuck said:

If we look at the season so far, guys like Shinkaurak,Gaunce,Kenins etc, they have all maybe played only 1-2 games (kenins stayed in Uticia) have all been mistreated and now got enough games to show us the fans what they can do?

because Hunter is a prime example, gets called up but plays only 1 game ..? like hes what 21-22 and its his first NHL game and what will he really prove in 1 game to show what hes got, Even Markstrom got alot of hype coming into the season and yet they play Miller a crap load and Miller is probally tired with consecutive games played. 

so you be the descider, as a fan, we all have our opinion so im open to hearing what everyone thinks!

Benning is giving any rookie he can playing time with the big team. Some more than others based on what they bring and where they fit. 

These dudes are usually brought up because a regular is injured. This team can only have so many roster spots open. 

In my opinion, Benning has more than stayed true to his word regarding the youth movement. Don't worry so much about it. 

6 hours ago, Edlerberry said:

if i am a 'descider', does that mean i can't drink growers from the bottle anymore, or am i entitled to be a descider-cider-er

so you descide this first

No, it implies your moral-descent as you imbibe too much cider. C'mon problem, probally more prevalent up in the Okanagun...

Nik Jensen comes to mind a bit.  I thot he looked pretty good when he played in the NHL for a short stretch under Torts/Gillis.  He scored some nice goals and I thot he hustled hard on the back check.  In defence of the current mgmt though, Jensen hasn't done much to really warrant a call up these days.  His stats are very average in Utica and seems to struggle with consistency most nites.

I thot Gaunce would make a great 4th line centre this year, but instead they put a career winger (The Cracker) there.  I like what the Cracker has given us there (size, work eithic, some veteran savy, etc), but he does struggle in the faceoff dot a bit as it's not his natural position.  Hopefully next season, Gaunce will be given a serious shot on our 4th line.  I guess I should mention that McCann centres the 4th line some nites as well.

Shinkaruk has played great in Utica this season, but up until now he hasn't really done much to warrant a serious look.  I will say that when we picked up Bear-Cheese, I thot we had similar calibre type prospects in the system (ie: Shinks and Jensen).  I didn't really see the need to trade for Bear-cheese; he is one guy who was pretty much handed a roster spot this season.  Kind of like Linden Vey last season.  If Bear-cheese doesn't do much this season, hopefully we can get rid of him and give some of our drafted prospects (ie: Shinks) a serious look.

Willie is the man here.He may chose an place the parts where he see's fit as head coach.I am not worried to much right now as the regulars on the team barring injury's are hard to replace .WD is trying to assess even on short term the test is gaugeing what he has down on the farm.This is two way as the young guys get to show an see the requirements on the big club.There are very limited opportunities for WD to pick an chose who ?where?an rational .If anything WD is coaching like he will be here for more than a year by pulling the revolving door sit in the press box moves.This is good for moral of the AHL farm team players as it instills hope in that they are not playing in the North American siberia ,an can get a shot on moving up to the big club.If WD overloaded the big club with young minor league players it could have the reverse effect of pushing panic buttons in some of the vets who may not be able to perform anymore to expectations but ,play only fleeting moments at high levels of performance in that it may also bring out the ugly side of the reality an demoralize their game even more if thats possible.So WD can only tease the system a little bit to bolster team moral an player esteem which is badly needed in that confidence is some time a flighty thing with some players.[note not the SEdins ,they are super stars]

15 hours ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Really, virt beat gaunce, shink, or Ronnie Kenins? 

The fact that you even mentioned Kenins proves that you either didn't watch preseason games, or have a short memory. He was very ineffective.

He hasn't been very good in the AHL either this year, for whatever reason. So much for the Ronalds Kenins Fans Clubs.

Archived