The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Just because they wont get a deal done before july 1st doesnt mean he's done being a canuck. There might not be any teams that offer what he wasnt and he decides to resign. An unlikely scenario but its not unheard of.

It's actually a pretty common scenario. His agent will want to see what's available after June 23rd to offer his client (Edler) all his options and obtain as much leverage as possible. And likewise, so will Benning to see what's out there in comparison. Then they'll likely meet in the middle somewhere between the 24th and July 1st-2nd'ish.

This whole situation is being COMPLETELY overblown. Y'all being trolled. Hard.

Just now, Googlie said:

630 just reported that Edler's camp has agreed to be left unprotected if Canucks will move off their 2 year offer to his 4 year request.

Heard as much yesterday.  Edler needs to accept a contract without a NMC.  Even then, is four years of Edler better than 6 or 7 years of Jake Gardiner?  Personally, I'd much rather have the younger Gardiner, who still has lots of gas in the tank.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

650 just reported that Edler's camp has agreed to be left unprotected if Canucks will move off their 2 year offer to his 4 year request.

I'd take a 4-year deal if we can expose Edler. Losing him puts us in a real pickle.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I'd take a 4-year deal if we can expose Edler. Losing him puts us in a real pickle.

Edler wants 4 and Nucks want 2.  I think they settle on 3.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard as much yesterday.  Edler needs to accept a contract without a NMC.  Even then, is four years of Edler better than 6 or 7 years of Jake Gardiner?  Personally, I'd much rather have the younger Gardiner, who still has lots of gas in the tank.  

I don't know.  Edler brings a more physical game and is better defensively, but Gardiner puts up points and is 3 yrs younger.

Guess it depends on how much $ Gardner wants and if it comes with NTC/NMC. 

I'm thinking in 3 yrs the Nucks don't need Gardner as Hughes and Juolevi will be better players.  I think I'd take the Edler at 3yrs package and focus on fixing the rd situation.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Edler wants 4 and Nucks want 2.  I think they settle on 3.

I don't know.  Edler brings a more physical game and is better defensively, but Gardiner puts up points and is 3 yrs younger.

Guess it depends on how much $ Gardner wants and if it comes with NTC/NMC. 

I'm thinking in 3 yrs the Nucks don't need Gardner as Hughes and Juolevi will be better players.  I think I'd take the Edler at 3yrs package and focus on fixing the rd situation.

Agreed on all points, but I think JB is not going to sign Edler until he has (starting this Sunday) an opportunity to talk to Gardniner's agent and see what the cost, and contract terms will be.  Edler knows JB is looking elsewhere, and wants to get a deal here before JB can talk to other guys on Sunday.  Edler really doesn't want to leave, so now his agent is showing in public that Edler is willing to sign a deal without the NMC.  I think JB does sign Edler, but after he finds out that Gardiner is too much money.  

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

650 just reported that Edler's camp has agreed to be left unprotected if Canucks will move off their 2 year offer to his 4 year request.

I would do it if I am the Canucks. Edler is still a really good D and our best by a bit.

He probably won't get much worse in the next 4 years.

I like it actually.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Agreed on all points, but I think JB is not going to sign Edler until he has (starting this Sunday) an opportunity to talk to Gardniner's agent and see what the cost, and contract terms will be.  Edler knows JB is looking elsewhere, and wants to get a deal here before JB can talk to other guys on Sunday.  Edler really doesn't want to leave, so now his agent is showing in public that Edler is willing to sign a deal without the NMC.  I think JB does sign Edler, but after he finds out that Gardiner is too much money.  

I think Edler is a much better D on all fronts (other than points) than Gardiner. 

Who can weight in with fancy stats on this??

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I think Edler is a much better D on all fronts (other than points) than Gardiner. 

Who can weight in with fancy stats on this??

On goal difference Gardiner was the best D man in the league 5 on 5 for last season, and one of the best for a while.  He moves the puck way better than Eddy, and is four years younger.  I don’t know if he would come here though.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

On goal difference Gardiner was the best D man in the league 5 on 5 for last season, and one of the best for a while.  He moves the puck way better than Eddy, and is four years younger.  I don’t know if he would come here though.  

So what about every Leaf fan saying he is garbage at actual defense?

Edit: if he was on the PP every time with Matthews,Marner, and Tavares would we not expect his goal diff to be awesome. Ghost is great on the PP to but sucks at actual defense. If we get a guy like Gardiner who is great on the PP who would cover for his defensive ineptitude?

Edited by Kanukfanatic

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So what about every Leaf fan saying he is garbage at actual defense?

Edit: if he was on the PP every time with Matthews,Marner, and Tavares would we not expect his goal diff to be awesome. Ghost is great on the PP to but sucks at actual defense. If we get a guy like Gardiner who is great on the PP who would cover for his defensive ineptitude?

Gardiner is actually really good on D.  He didn’t play on Leaf’s number one PP.  his goal diff is 5 on 5.  Leafs fans are dumbos if they think Gardiner is a problem.  He’s a far more complete player than Reilly.  I think Gardiner gets 8 million from a team, and a seven year term.  If we could have Gardiner and Edler as our top two guys on the left side, I’d be very optimistic about our playoff chances. 

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gardiner moves the puck fantastically to the other team in his own zone.  His defense simply isn't at an acceptable standard for an NHLer.  You don't win with defensemen who can't play defense, let alone letting them stink up the joint in the top 4.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gardiner is actually really good on D.  He didn’t play on Leaf’s number one PP.  his goal diff is 5 on 5.  Leafs fans are dumbos if they think Gardiner is a problem.  He’s a far more complete player than Reilly.  I think Gardiner gets 8 million from a team, and a seven year term.  If we could have Gardiner and Edler as our top two guys on the left side, I’d be very optimistic about our playoff chances. 

I think the issue with your analysis Alf comes when you say stuff like the bolded lol. It is just dumb. And when you say Hughes will be better than Dahlin.

Other than those massive homer weird things.....I like reading your posts lol.  ::D

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This would be an upgrade over Gardiner, Rielly, or any of the Leafs other pylons not named Muzzin:

GYD-brand-PLC-controlled-automatic-panel

Getting rid of Gardiner is addition by subtraction and Rielly's only shot of becoming  a legit NHLer is a move to forward since he refuses to actually play any defense.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I think the issue with your analysis Alf comes when you say stuff like the bolded lol. It is just dumb. And when you say Hughes will be better than Dahlin.

Other than those massive homer weird things.....I like reading your posts lol.  ::D

That's not exactly a compliment though.  Rielly is absolutely atrocious in his own zone.  Babcock should have held him accountable and thrown him into the press box until he decided to play like an NHLer in both ends of the ice.

• Wat 1

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Gardiner moves the puck fantastically to the other team in his own zone.  His defense simply isn't at an acceptable standard for an NHLer.  You don't win with defensemen who can't play defense, let alone letting them stink up the joint in the top 4.

I hate the Leafs too King, but Gardiner is actually pretty good defensively.  I’m not a fancy stat guy, but I think his are likely pretty good.

@oldnews can you figure out Gardiner’s zone start stuff?  I’m only going by watching and simple minded stats. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hate the Leafs too King, but Gardiner is actually pretty good defensively.  I’m not a fancy stat guy, but I think his are likely pretty good.

@oldnews can you figure out Gardiner’s zone start stuff?  I’m only going by watching and simple minded stats. 

Not a fancy stat guy at all.  I've seen him play and frankly he's worse in his own end than most of our AHL depth.  The guy has the hockey sense of a potato.

• Haha 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Not a fancy stat guy at all.  I've seen him play and frankly he's worse in his own end than most of our AHL depth.  The guy has the hockey sense of a potato.

Mashed, with gravy?  :towel:

I don’t think Gardiner will play ever again in a Canadian market.  Potatoes do better in warmer US climates.  

• Haha 1