The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexander Edler | #23 | D

-SN-

Personally, I hope he resigns here.  I think he's been one of the best Dmen we've had on this team, and I don't think there is anyone in the organization ready to fill his minutes.  However, I understand the situation with the Seattle expansion, and the term of his contract being an issue.

Hope it works out well for both the Canucks, and Edler.

Edited by thundernuts
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

Quick Google search results are in - Yes, he did say that, kind of....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-podcast-note-10-pending-nhl-ufas/

I did see that, its hardly what the .me site says tho. 

Maybe Elder needs to have the chance to talk to other teams and find out no one will give him expansion protection. That might be the best thing for everyone. 

On 6/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, The 5th Line said:

Funny how people only started saying this once he was gone.  

Not true. Or not totally true anyway, there were people/fans back then that didn't like him on their team.

I was one of them.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

On 6/12/2019 at 1:35 PM, The 5th Line said:

Why?  Blocked too many shots?  Too many fights?  Played too good of defense?  Singlehandedly took over too many playoff games? Too good in the community?  Too much heart in general?  Too much effort? 

Are some rumors about his off ice actions really enough to discredit all of these attributes?  Nobody is perfect, stop expecting it.

I mean Kesler did a lot of great things here, but he is not exactly a likeable guy. His diving was embarrassing, diving aside I personally liked him. But I'm not at all shocked some people didn't like him. 

• Upvote 1

I love Edler but if he is playing hardball with the city and team he supposedly wants to stay in, he can beat it. He isn't a moron. He knows the Canucks cannot give him a 3 year deal with a NMC. Why the hell would they protect him in the ED over a young up and coming player. 

As much as we need him, if he sticks to those demands JB should drive him to the airport.

It's a goof move by Edler imo.

Edit: as a fan I am very disappointed in him. I know he doesn't give two sheets lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Edit: as a fan I am very disappointed in him. I know he doesn't give two sheets lol.

I think you should hold your horses until it’s a done deal. Negotiations directed by agents is one thing, my guess is that they’ll find a compromise that works for everybody in the end. 

It’s also worth noting that Edler is the only current Canuck D (even if I hope QH gets there soon) who would play top 4 for most teams in the league. So if we lose him and add a free agent that’s not named Karlsson the D will still be one of the bottom five in the entire league IMO. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, J-P said:

I think you should hold your horses until it’s a done deal. Negotiations directed by agents is one thing, my guess is that they’ll find a compromise that works for everybody in the end. 

It’s also worth noting that Edler is the only current Canuck D (even if I hope QH gets there soon) who would play top 4 for most teams in the league. So if we lose him and add a free agent that’s not named Karlsson the D will still be one of the bottom five in the entire league IMO. 

Totally agree JP that Edler was hands down the best Van d-man last year. Since I believe that one of Tanev or Edler have to go I am in the Edler camp for a 3 year deal with no Seattle protection. As fans we don't know what Edler's main motivation is. He could feel that he has another 5 years in his career and wants a longer term deal. IMHO the more term the less CAP hit. I am hoping there is a Tanev trade in the works. Hoping that QH can play regular PP and that Stecher and Hutton can hold down 2nd pairing. In any event TOI for the younger d-men is essential so Tanev goes. 

Elders time has come and gone past his prime often injured and needs the security of NMC so he can float around and be frustrating to watch like he does in between contract years.

$$$ and term with NMC should be a no deal. 

Let him walk, he loves it here so much until things don’t go his way I can imagine the player he’ll be with a retirement contract and nmc protection. 

He old slow and has a long history of being injured and playing like he doesn’t care. Thanks but no thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, combover said:

Elders time has come and gone past his prime often injured and needs the security of NMC so he can float around and be frustrating to watch like he does in between contract years.

$$$ and term with NMC should be a no deal. 

Let him walk, he loves it here so much until things don’t go his way I can imagine the player he’ll be with a retirement contract and nmc protection. 

He old slow and has a long history of being injured and playing like he doesn’t care. Thanks but no thanks. 

No way Edler gets a NMC from any team. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree JP that Edler was hands down the best Van d-man last year. Since I believe that one of Tanev or Edler have to go I am in the Edler camp for a 3 year deal with no Seattle protection. As fans we don't know what Edler's main motivation is. He could feel that he has another 5 years in his career and wants a longer term deal. IMHO the more term the less CAP hit. I am hoping there is a Tanev trade in the works. Hoping that QH can play regular PP and that Stecher and Hutton can hold down 2nd pairing. In any event TOI for the younger d-men is essential so Tanev goes. 

A bit sad that we couldn't apparently nab Niskanen for Tanev with retention +/- :(

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I have no doubts those two can hold down that 2nd pairing.  Problem is, who the neck plays the 1st pairing?  Those two will by default will by noticable time in the top pairing as you can't expect Tanev to play all 82 games.  That also bumps up a couple 3rd pairing guys to top four minutes.  If Benning doesn't acquire a legit vet top 4 guy to replace Elder....Demko will be seeing more rubber than a two dollar lady of the evening on a Saturday night when the Navy is in town.

19 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It's a goof move by Edler imo.

While I agree we shouldn't give him a NMC for 3 years + 

Ya'll need to chill a little on the Edler bashing. He gave his whole career to Vancouver, always talks about this being his home and it's been (overall) pretty great for both sides. He is a grown man with a family and has one major contract left. It is completely understandable that he wants good money and stability as he wraps up. Maybe that is in Vancouver (with good pay and term but no NMC) and maybe it isn't. One thing for sure if he walks he will have no trouble at all finding a team willing to pay. 

I hope we can come to terms with him and if we can't and he leaves then I wish that dude all the best and thanks for all the years. 

Edited by Bobby James
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

While I agree we shouldn't give him a NMC for 3 years + 

Ya'll need to chill a little on the Edler bashing. He gave his whole career to Vancouver, always talks about this being his home and it's been (overall) pretty great for both sides. He is a grown man with a family and has one major contract left. It is completely understandable that he wants good money and stability as he wraps up. Maybe that is in Vancouver (with good pay and term but no NMC) and maybe it isn't. One thing for sure if he walks he will have no trouble at all finding a team willing to pay. 

I hope we can come to terms with him and if we can't and he leaves then I wish that dude all the best and thanks for all the years. 

I wonder if Edler would accept a lower but reasonable $ for a 3-year term with NTC.  At the very least, it gives Edler 2-years to prepare for a possible move to Seattle (protects him from being traded in the first 2-years) and allows Vancouver the flexibility to expose him and save on $.