The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

It's quite clear to me that Hughes is "better" than Juolevi  all day, every day from now to infinity...

Ya i think its safe to say Hughes is better, in a game of school yard hockey with captains picking teams I dont think many pick Juolevi before Hughes

1 hour ago, stawns said:

what is it you are unhappy with?  He had a very underrated season with a very depleted London team after being drafted.  After a slow start to his first pro season, he ended up having one fo the best 20 year old dman seasons in Liiga and last year he scored at a .72 ppg pace, as a rookie.

Just from the 'eye test' watching him at last seasons training camp..He was getting turnstiled on a regular basis, and in several cases he literally 'gave up on the play'. (there's no excuse for that)...Also,he needs to work on his defensive play (taking the man,instead of a flimsy poke check)...Needless to say, the coaching staff didnt dress him for the remaining exhibition games.

He didn't look close to being an NHL player....To be fair, he was coming off of back surgery (and we all saw how sluggish Brock Boeser looked in the first half of last season, after his back surgery)...but still, not what should be expected from the 'safe pick' at 5th OA...(if he was taken 15th OA,we wouldnt be having this discussion).

Again,I hope that OJ does become the player we all thought he could be, and he sticks it to the Calgary Flames (how many times do i have to hear them thanking us for MT).

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

He’ll start in the AHL but Juolevi’s busting out this year.

When he cracks the NHL roster he’s going to look awesome slinging the puck up to our revamped top 6.  

c'mon man this is the tkachuk thread, get out of here with all that positivity

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

London finished with 106 points in 15-16. They finished with 99 points the following year.  They scored 30 less goals. Completely depleted and ravaged..

One year makes a world of difference in an individual players development, it doesn't matter if the team is weaker, that one year of development can cover up a lot of the deficiencies the new team has in the following year..  He stagnated.  Accept it.  All of these guys were able to double or triple their production

Robert Thomas  15pts 40gp following year 60pts 60gp

Bouchard 17pts 43gp following year 44pts 68gp

Mete 38 pts 68gp following year 44pts 50gp

Pu 31 points 63gp  following year 66pts 66gp

Jones 52pts 63gp following year 36pts 33gp

Miletic  14pts 35gp following year 55pts 65gp

Juolevi 42pts 57gp following year 42 points 58gp

So wait. You're saying that when Dvorak, Tkachuk and Marner all turned pro, the younger forwards below them in the lineup, were able to take on bigger roles and put up more points the next season? Next you're going to tell me that Bouchard and Mete jumped ahead of Juolevi based on their superior abilities that had nothing to do with matchups or pairings. Please tell me more. I'm learning so much. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

JD Burke the guy who gets trashed here on the daily?

If I had found the comments from Dale Hunter stating the same thing about OJ's stats in his final OHL year, I would have posted them.  Eventually I will find the interview and I will post it.

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah of course I'm hoping for that.  He's still a solid prospect I just think his progression has been slow.. really not a big deal

For sure, his progression has been slow...due to the injuries.  Nobody to blame; just some really bad luck for the kid and it may end up being a big deal.  Fingers crossed that he can overcome these setbacks.

21 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Just from the 'eye test' watching him at last seasons training camp..He was getting turnstiled on a regular basis, and in several cases he literally 'gave up on the play'. (there's no excuse for that)...Also,he needs to work on his defensive play (taking the man,instead of a flimsy poke check)...Needless to say, the coaching staff didnt dress him for the remaining exhibition games.

He didn't look close to being an NHL player....To be fair, he was coming off of back surgery (and we all saw how sluggish Brock Boeser looked in the first half of last season, after his back surgery)...but still, not what should be expected from the 'safe pick' at 5th OA...(if he was taken 15th OA,we wouldnt be having this discussion).

Again,I hope that OJ does become the player we all thought he could be, and he sticks it to the Calgary Flames (how many times do i have to hear them thanking us for MT).

I understand people's concerns, but they are, imo, not based in reality.......outside of injuries.  He's excelled at every level and shows every indication of being a top 3 dman.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Huh?  I'm saying that with one year of development their should of been an increase in offensive production, as there was with the other defenceman on the team like Mete and Bouchard for examples.  I take matchups and pairings in to account, but it doesn't change my opinion.  It was an off year for him.  

There are so many factors as to why the offensive numbers dipped...not just match ups. Their roster was decimated, losing tkachuk, Dvorak and marner. Bunch of younger guys would eventually step up offensively, but the reason London continued to be extremely effective was because of their defensive game, led by juolevi.

I wish he would be ready to step up but he's had some of the worst luck with injuries lol

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, stawns said:

I understand people's concerns, but they are, imo, not based in reality.......outside of injuries.  He's excelled at every level and shows every indication of being a top 3 dman.

Much of what fans have seen of Olli's game is a young man struggling with poor conditioning, due to injuries that have limited his offseason training.  Hopefully he will turn this pattern around in the upcoming season and gradually become a very good NHL dman.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

If I had found the comments from Dale Hunter stating the same thing about OJ's stats in his final OHL year, I would have posted them.  Eventually I will find the interview and I will post it.

For sure, his progression has been slow...due to the injuries.  Nobody to blame; just some really bad luck for the kid and it may end up being a big deal.  Fingers crossed that he can overcome these setbacks.

He could still have a solid 8-10 year career if he makes it in the next 3 years.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why these "fans" choose to ignore his first professional season (in Finland) is puzzling.   He was outstanding and was putting up numbers up there with historical values for a teen in that league.   The parallels to the success EP40 was having in Sweden were not lost on those who really followed him but seemingly by many in the Canuck marketplace.   This coupled with the game he was playing in Utica (easily leading his team and in top of AHL in rookie D scoring at time of injury) it remains odd how people seem to keep creating divergent versions of this reality.

The fellow I was referring to was commenting on his 'eye test' during training camps.

Olli's performance was very good in Finland, but he didn't really shine until after Xmas; due to a limited offseason training.  He really was on a roll by the time the playoffs started.

He had a slow start in Utica (again after a limited offseason), but started to regain his play and then was cut short by yet another injury. 

Without these injuries, I believe Olli would be going into his 2nd nhl season this year.

What I find exciting about this kid is that he ups his game during playoffs, which really bodes well for the Canucks.  No fading flower here.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

JD Burke the guy who gets trashed here on the daily?

Yeah of course I'm hoping for that.  He's still a solid prospect I just think his progression has been slow.. really not a big deal

Well sure his development has gone as plan the past season but how many d man break into the league before 21?

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Well sure his development has gone as plan the past season but how many d man break into the league before 21?

Only 3 D picked in the top 10 from the last 15 years have failed to play NHL games prior to there D+4 season. Ollie is the 4th. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Cheers 1