The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

The 5 OA draft position is just going to cause our fan base to cannibalize the poor kid.  Look at how much better Lind looks this year from last.

Juolevi has had a rough go injury wise so it’s no surprise he’s behind or looking slow.  

At a certain point we all know he’s understandably struggling from a career perspective, but some analog posters insist on running him down after every poor performance.  We get it - he’s not doing great.  You’re right and obviously missed your calling as NHL general managers.

I appreciate the fans who are simply able to support the kid, take his trajectory with a grain of salt due to his injury history (and draft projection that he was a few years away even if everything went well) and celebrate the things he does well.  He’s still very young and has some skills that you just can’t teach.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, joe-max said:

Here we go again..

.interested go on GIF

beating a dead horse wtf GIF

Gotta beat the heck out of that demised nag. How quickly Pettersson, Boeser, Quinn, Demko, and a maturing Virtanen are forgotten - and those are only first rounders. Gaudette and a few guys in Utica don’t look half bad, either. Let’s not forget Podkolzin and Hoglander excelling in this tournament.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

The 5 OA draft position is just going to cause our fan base to cannibalize the poor kid.  Look at how much better Lind looks this year from last.

Juolevi has had a rough go injury wise so it’s no surprise he’s behind or looking slow.  

At a certain point we all know he’s understandably struggling from a career perspective, but some analog posters insist on running him down after every poor performance.  We get it - he’s not doing great.  You’re right and obviously missed your calling as NHL general managers.

I appreciate the fans who are simply able to support the kid, take his trajectory with a grain of salt due to his injury history (and draft projection that he was a few years away even if everything went well) and celebrate the things he does well.  He’s still very young and has some skills that you just can’t teach.

Some one once suggested to me that the difference between US Sports fan is they cheer to encourage while Canadians cheers to acknowledge an achievement. Well …… there has to be a lot of US fans on this site. I'm definitely in the Cdn pack. Show me some thing and I'll cheer but until that moment I prefer to be neutral. Basically that's difference IMO between the two positions being argued on the board. I don't think it's my job to cheerlead I think it's up to OJ to show us. The posters that come on here and give a game report, I'd like to thank

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Some one once suggested to me that the difference between US Sports fan is they cheer to encourage while Canadians cheers to acknowledge an achievement. Well …… there has to be a lot of US fans on this site. I'm definitely in the Cdn pack. Show me some thing and I'll cheer but until that moment I prefer to be neutral. Basically that's difference IMO between the two positions being argued on the board. I don't think it's my job to cheerlead I think it's up to OJ to show us. The posters that come on here and give a game report, I'd like to thank

Interesting perspective. But wouldn't supporting the team, cheering, encouraging, make more sense if you care about it since it may increase player performance and therefore the likelihood of team success?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, joe-max said:

Interesting perspective. But wouldn't supporting the team, cheering, encouraging, make more sense if you care about it since it may increase player performance and therefore the likelihood of team success?

I think that's called self gratification. Athletes on the other hand must have self motivation as a main stay of their character

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Thats a fair post.  

Personally, I can take some criticism but at some point we start to over analyze and everybody chips in with “spot the mistake” making it snowball into just kicking a guy when he’s down.  I also don’t like it when people overly knock prospects or acquisitions to get digs in at JB. 

I take the reports from Utica fans with more of a grain of salt... if they’re emotionally invested in the team (which is good for the prospects in the long run) they’re going to be a bit frustrated and that’s okay (to a point IMO.)

Still, for full disclosure: I don’t like it when the constant negative commentary is directed at Loui, let alone a prospect who is going through injury troubles. So I’m obviously leaning to one side.  Like Joe-max said, I just think encouragement from the fan base can only help. They have enough pressure already.  

take the reports from Utica fans with more of a grain of salt... if they’re emotionally invested in the team

You maybe right. So how would you take the emotional investment of Canuck fans, should they be taken with a grain of salt ?   :rolleyes:

• Wat 2

26 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You maybe right. So how would you take the emotional investment of Canuck fans, should they be taken with a grain of salt ?   :rolleyes:

Not if they aren’t watching the comets play every game and cheering for them as their home team.  

Invested interest in the success of the comets, that is.  Not just a passing interest stat watching the canuck prospects.

Edited by ilduce39

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I think that's called self gratification. Athletes on the other hand must have self motivation as a main stay of their character

Still don't get it. Why would you follow a team that hasn't won anything and keep crapping on it instead of just following recent winners. If you're not emotionally invested, it should be fairly easy to switch team opportunistically. 

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Which team are you an NHL fan of?  I’m thinking you might be a bit biased.  When the Flames had their farm team here there were a lot of negative reports (from fans at the games) about the Flame’s prospects.  

OJ is going to be a 40 point NHL D man and part of our three Cup wins this coming decade. 

Go Canucks.  Hate those eastern teams.  Rags suck.  Jersey sucks worse.  Leafs will always be losers.

I’m a fan of the Canucks actually. I like watching the young kids play down here and making their way up to Vancouver. I see big things for the Canucks in the next 3-5 years. I gave an honest assessment of what I saw last night. The whole team looked off a bit, especially in the defensive zone. 

speaking of that, a big factor in our defensive zone troubles has a lot to do with not having enough centers. When you barely win 30% of the face offs, most defensive zone face offs are going to result in a decent scoring chance for the other team. They don’t keep face off win % in the A, but the comets will be lucky to be at 40% on the season. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, joe-max said:

Still don't get it. Why would you follow a team that hasn't won anything and keep crapping on it instead of just following recent winners. If you're not emotionally invested, it should be fairly easy to switch team opportunistically. 

I've followed the Canucks for a  l o n g  time but I like to think I  can take the good with the bad. Being a long time fan makes jumping on and off the bandwagon a no. I've seen so many prospects come and go …. off the landscape all together. Watching the Spengler Cup brought up a few just today. Players, youngsters you wondered what had happened to them. My kids played and had various degrees of success ( they all had fun and still play now in their forties ::D ) The fact is few make Pro hockey, and the chnace of a current prospect making the NHL is still slim and yet you see posters talking of them as though they were bound for stardom. Almost every current prospect was at some time a wanna be star player. So I just wait and see, take speculation for what it is and stick to facts as much as possible. Cheer when appropriate.

Take a look at all the Canucks draft picks, likely just names on a site now. But I remember them not all but many of them and how they were going to be great and yet so few made it, how can that be. I've seen so many come and go

http://canucks.ice.nhl.com/club/draftstats.htm?year=All&round=All&team=VAN&location=/draft 

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Olli Juolevi was on the ice for seven of the first seven goals scored tonight. Defensively, he’s a complete liability whenever that puck is out of his reach. When there is a loose puck sitting out of arms reach of Juolevi and an opponent is racing for it, I tense up. History has shown that unless Juolevi’s linemates make the extra effort to recover on the loose puck, then there is likely a scoring chance going the other way. Offensively, the guy is dynamite from the point. His shot is crisp and almost always finds its way towards the net. Even someone as reliable as Ashton Sautner can’t make up for Juolevi’s skating deficiencies, however. I don’t know if I could single-out Juolevi on any of those goals-against as the first three were the result of pretty poor puck tracking and rebound control from MDP. Still, those odd-man rushes generated by Juolevi’s lack of skate speed will not allow him to succeed at the NHL level, let alone at the AHL level.

Let’s not blow this game out of proportion..  First game back for both teams after the Xmas break, 11 goals scored between both teams..

forget the plus/minus, just put the empties back in the case and return.

By all accounts Joulevi has been playing very well since his return from injury,  you can’t pin 6 goals on one of 6 players on the ice, if that’s the way you lean, then question the Coach.

its a hiccup, and I’m sure there were a few the night before that game.

• Upvote 2

Lol.

Juolevi on the ice for 5 of 6 total goals tonight. Last night he was on the ice for 8 of 11 goals scored.

That's 13/17 total over the weekend where he was on the ice for a goal being scored for either team. That's just kinda crazy. High event hockey.

At least tonight he was on the right end of the spectrum

Edited by Ihatetomatoes