The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Targetting Pirri and Gagner

b3.

6 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Wasn't Pirri a trade target at the deadline?  Not sure where he would fit but wouldn't mind that addition.  Worst case scenario they demote him and we lose him on waivers.  Knight and Gagner are also interesting and same idea for worst case scenario with them.  I don't see the appeal of Jooris however, though I don't know his game well.

I've always liked Jooris' game in the little bit I've watched him. He hasn't put up much in the way of offense at the NHL level thus far but I do seem to recall him netting a hat trick one time, so that's kinda cool, and I think he's known to be a decent defensive/checking player.

From reading Wikipedia I see he attended Canucks development camp in 2012. I guess the old regime liked him a bit.

There has got to be a trade in the pipes. Especially if Pirri or Ganer gets signed. There are entirely too many forwards that would require waivers in order to get to Utica. The Frankie Corrado situation all over again, yet not enough roster spots still looking for more to add to the logjam? 

Pirri and Gagner would surely help this team but would potentially take away roster spots from younger developing players. Guys like Gaunce and Virtanen would likely end up in the AHL due to a numbers crunch since they don't need waivers yet. I want to win but I'm not sure I like that, I'd rather win with these guys.

49 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Three of them are centers?

I like Pirri though. He's due for a breakout season. But where would any of those fit in the line-up? 

Bottom 6:

Burrows/Sutter/Rodin

Etem/Granlund/Dorsett

Gaunce

etc? 

I kind of want those guys than the reported names were targetting.

I remember a couple of seasons ago, virtually all of his points came from scoring goals

Already have two Pirris in Baertschi and Rodin.  But maybe he and/or others can be compiled with Biega and such to do a mass waivering at camp, hoping to get them cleared.  Then again, they likely aren't looking to sign just to be demoted out of the league, at least not at this point.

We don't need Gagner...or Pirri for that matter.  We have both Sutter and Bo fighting for the 2-3 C role.  Gagner would be fighting for the same position and would be expensive for a depth pick-up.  If we are worried about C depth, we need a 4th line addition.  We do have Gaunce and Granlund at the moment, and Cassels will have made strides.  4th line C depth is picked up off waivers.  We shouldn't overpay RFA's, or trade assets and picks for players we can grab from waivers at the beginning of next season.

We still need more natural goal scorers.

I don't like that this would force Virtanen/Gaunce down or out of the lineup. This could likewise mean pushing Burrows out of a regular spot, or even waived/bought out.

As of right now:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Etem - Sutter - Virtanen

Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett

Rodin/Gaunce

Of the list though, I like Pirri as he has proven he can produce. Gagner seems on the decline, though last season was an abnormality in production for him. The Knight/Jooris fascinations I do not get. The Weisbrod/Calgary connection is showing once again. 

Pirri is high skill, good value can slide anywhere win the lineup (like a Vey or Santorelli type player).  I just wish he had a bit of grit and not injury prone.  He's worth a flyer at for under a 1 million as he brings offence.  

Ganger is ok, not a big fan, has a bit more grit than Pirri, but nothing special.

Jooris and Knight are Utica signings

49 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

I'd prefer a #2 LW more myself. 

Eriksson, Hansen, Etem, Rodin, Virtanen, Burrows, next year Boeser...RW looks like a log jam to me.

On LW we have Daniel, Baertschi, Guance. Getting a #2LW like say Kane enables Baertschi to play on the third line with Bo to form a very good third line. A top 2 LW also allows us to drop Daniel to the second line for a more balanced offense if needed.

We have very little LW prospects also.

hansen, burrows, virtanen and etem can all play on the left side...gaunce can play in the middle if need be...

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

hansen, burrows, virtanen and etem can all play on the left side...gaunce can play in the middle if need be...

The three bolded should not be on the left side on the top two lines.

If you move Hansen to the left on line 2, now you need a line 2 RW.

We need a top two LW in my opinion. 

Daniel-Henrik-Eriksson

???-Sutter-Hansen

Baer-Horvat-Etem

I'd like to see Daniel on that 2nd line to play-make for Sutter and Hansen, and I would also like E Kane on line 1 LW or someone like that to ad some grit and power to the first line 5 on 5. You don't have to put all your best scorers on the first line, otherwise Pitt first line would have been Malkin-Crosby-Kessel. They were successful because they spread out that scoring for balance giving other teams fits covering a good third line (Good luck with defending Baer-Bo-Etem with your third pairing D!)

Why not stock up on guys like this.  Nucks have the contract space, so offer them short term, 2-way contracts and if they can compete with the other players at training camp.  Utica is desperate for decent AHL players, so whoever doesn't make the team gets waived.  Personally, I think that Gagner beats out Granlund for a spot, but who knows.

Fill up Utica with some good players and then use them as depth for the big club throughout the season.

Archived