The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things that annoy you.

Rate this topic

numb3r 16

Getting pretty tired of people using social media and the internet in general as an outlet to complain about almost literally everything (I am aware of the irony of using a message board to get this point across).

Everyone has the right to express their opinion, but it feels like it's easier than ever for people to act as if they are experts on every subject and loudly whine about anything they even mildly disagree with. The most irritating part of it all is that many people feel the need to personally insult those they disagree with, even for the most mundane discussions. It's possible to voice an opinion and debate it without having to resort to name-calling.

I am guilty of doing this myself on occasion, so I'm willing to admit that I need to set a better standard for myself. Just wish some others would at least try to do the same.

I just got my lease renewal, and the rent is going to be raised as well as pet rent! More pet rent for lil' precious to live here?! What does she do? - look out the window, sleep, eat, use the litter box... The rent is being raised - I can either get in on the early bird special or pay even more rent after the early bird special if I don't sign before it ends.  

I have to look at the positive here.  It was more living downtown, and I saw this lease renewal after having my glass of champagne, and I have my own private entrance.  And I have been considering Spokane, but I enjoy making money, and the pay is lower over there, and I don't settle for less. 

I will decide by Monday. And I can compare the cost of other places in the area, as well as Spokane.  At least if I decide to renew the lease, I can save more towards the purchase of a house or condo.  They are cheap over there. 

14 hours ago, brilac said:

I just got my lease renewal, and the rent is going to be raised as well as pet rent! More pet rent for lil' precious to live here?! What does she do? - look out the window, sleep, eat, use the litter box... The rent is being raised - I can either get in on the early bird special or pay even more rent after the early bird special if I don't sign before it ends.  

I have to look at the positive here.  It was more living downtown, and I saw this lease renewal after having my glass of champagne, and I have my own private entrance.  And I have been considering Spokane, but I enjoy making money, and the pay is lower over there, and I don't settle for less. 

I will decide by Monday. And I can compare the cost of other places in the area, as well as Spokane.  At least if I decide to renew the lease, I can save more towards the purchase of a house or condo.  They are cheap over there. 

Pet rent?  I can honestly say I never heard of that.  That sucks.

1 hour ago, DarthMelvin said:

Highway driving and no one obeys the slower traffic keep right law.  They travel at the same speed as the right lane.  Super annoying. 

Big Rigs are the biggest offenders of this.

• 2 months later...

So I was indulging in some devils lettuce when I overheard this old British lady go on a rant about X-Mas - it was glorious.  I am not here to spark some religious debate but I too share her disbelief at people that get offended over the use of 'Christmas' instead of Happy Holidays.

MERRY FREAKING CHRISTMAS CDC

Today in particular:  construction traffic tie ups.

Now, in being proactive I avoided the usual route to work as it made me a few minutes late Monday due to lengthy delays (I'm always at least 15 minutes early, so do leave extra time).  No flag crew and the green light allowed for a single car to get through at a time.  I was about 900 cars back.  SighIhateeveryoneinfrontofme.

Today I avoided that route and took the other route because I'm a genius.  Not so much.  Not only was there ALSO construction happening there, but many people trying to avoid plan A (like me) were in this long line of cars going nowhere.   It was even worse.  I did get a chance to duck out down a side road.  And got lost, momentarily.  Almost ended up where I started.

Richmond's a nightmare and I hate it.  So much construction going on and those of us who actually LIVE and WORK here have to contend with it.  GTHO.  

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Today in particular:  construction traffic tie ups.

Now, in being proactive I avoided the usual route to work as it made me late Monday due to lengthy delays.  No flag crew and the green light allowed for a single car to get through.  I was about 900 cars back.

Today I avoided that route and took the other route.  Not only was there ALSO construction happening there, but many cars trying to avoid plan A like me were in this long line of cars going nowhere.  

Richmond's a nightmare and I hate it.  So much construction going on and those of us who actually LIVE and WORK here have to contend with it.  GTHO

flag girls …...there all the same ,they tell you "slow down"  but really they want you to keep on going .:P   old hwy's joke. 

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

So I was indulging in some devils lettuce when I overheard this old British lady go on a rant about X-Mas - it was glorious.  I am not here to spark some religious debate but I too share her disbelief at people that get offended over the use of 'Christmas' instead of Happy Holidays.

MERRY FREAKING CHRISTMAS CDC

I don't think I've ever actually heard a single person complain about someone saying "merry Christmas." I do here a LOT of complaining about complaining about saying "merry Christmas." At this point I suspect that it almost doesn't happen, but is being propagated by the complaining about complaining folks.

14 minutes ago, chon derry said:

flag girls …...there all the same ,they tell you "slow down"  but really they want you to keep on going .:P   old hwy's joke. 

I had it out with one awhile ago.

She was telling me I couldn't turn left down the side road...which is where I lived (I was literally AT my home and I told her that as I pointed to it).   She was such a hag and didn't even communicate (didn't know words?)....pointed and emphatically blew a little whistle.  (Maybe she also refs our games?  You know, the one who whistles the second the opposing goaltender sniffs the puck?).

There was NO reason for it, except to accommodate the flag crew as they'd parked their truck right across the entrance to our townhouses to load up at day's end.  Like they're special and can keep the road closed for their own use.  

I had to travel about two miles, do a left turn across one of the busiest roads in Richmond and two lanes of continuous traffic, then double back.  I had to be somewhere and this was a pain the butt as I was now rushed and decided to change my plan.

When I DID get home, I was in no mood.   BLASTED THE HORN for at them to move so I could get into our parking lot (the only entrance/exit we have).  Ha, she tried to point and wave me away.  NOT TODAY (remember that awesome video?).  I got out of the car, calmly walked over to her and told her/them (with some extra adjectives and adverbs) to move, NOW, or I'd block them so they couldn't leave when the time came to.  "And I mean NOW".  That I wasn't playing games at this point.

When she didn't move the truck and ignored me, I not only blocked it (they were parked the wrong way, facing oncoming traffic), I went in, got my camera and snapped a bunch of pictures, telling her I'd post them online and forward them to her company (I had no plan to do so).  She was not impressed at all.  I felt like I won that one in the end.....she was fuming and I walked away laughing as the traffic (now permitted to drive down the side road) was blocking her from finding a new spot.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I had it out with one awhile ago.

She was telling me I couldn't turn left down the side road...which is where I lived (I was literally AT my home and I told her that as I pointed to it).   She was such a hag and didn't even communicate (didn't know words?)....pointed and emphatically blew a little whistle.  (Maybe she also refs our games?  You know, the one who whistles the second the opposing goaltender sniffs the puck?).

There was NO reason for it, except to accommodate the flag crew as they'd parked their truck right across the entrance to our townhouses to load up at day's end.  Like they're special and can keep the road closed for their own use.  

I had to travel about two miles, do a left turn across one of the busiest roads in Richmond and two lanes of continuous traffic, then double back.  I had to be somewhere and this was a pain the butt as I was now rushed.

When I DID get home, I BLASTED THE HORN for them to move so I could go into our driveway (the only entrance/exit we have).  Ha, she tried the point and wave me away.  I got out of the car, calmly walked over to her and told her/them (with some extra adjectives and adverbs) to move, NOW, or I'd block them so they couldn't leave when the time came to.  "And I mean NOW".

When she didn't, I not only blocked the truck (they were parked the wrong way, facing oncoming traffic), I went in, got my camera and snapped a bunch of pictures and said I'd post them online and forward to her company.  She was not impressed.  I felt like I won that one in the end.

I know all about that type , when I was the hwy's foreman there was 1 flagger during the tail gate meeting prior to start up I would I would ask what do you want us to do today? that was wrong , she didnt see the humour , eventually it got so out of control with her unwillingness  to understand method , I finally had to ask her what were you doing in 1986? she answered I was in grade 3 , I said "nuff said" and walked away.

• Haha 2

I should also say I have a cousin who flags.  It's a tough gig and they have to contend with all kinds of stuff out there.  Including being all over the map and ridiculously early mornings and late into the night.

I generally give them a smile and a wave.  I appreciate the ones who do it right.

This one?   Not so much.  Clearly had that whistle go to her head.

• Haha 2

Also:  LOVING my new job, have a terrific boss who is generous and kind.  His downfall?  When he tries to give instruction before he sorts it out in his head.  So I get dragged along for the process and have to make sense of it.  A simple "send an email to this person" often heads down a lengthy verbal path of figuring out.  Confuses both of us. 

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Also:  LOVING my new job, have a terrific boss who is generous and kind.  His downfall?  When he tries to give instruction before he sorts it out in his head.  So I get dragged along for the process and have to make sense of it.  A simple "send an email to this person" often heads down a lengthy verbal path of figuring out.  Confuses both of us. 

sounds like true love.

• Thanks 1

Too many to list, but a few that come to mind:

- people that don't use their signals while driving

- people that use the wrong lane and then try to "cut in" late

- young people that lounge in the senior/disability seats on the train, while they're glued to their phone

- how excited some people get when the new iPhone comes out

- people that get on an escalator and stand on the left side, without moving

- facial pubes, or beards, as they're known

- those douchy haircuts on men. You know the ones.

- those long pointy dress shoes some men wear, that makes their feet look like size 15 lol

- men who wear shoes without socks

- dreadlocks (that's just nasty)

- the metoo movement

- overly flamboyant people (calm the F down, we know you're out)

- guys in their 30s with skateboards and BMX bikes

- people who wear touques during summer

- people who wear shorts during winter

- the smell of a person who just had a cigarette

15 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Too many to list, but a few that come to mind:

- people that don't use their signals while driving

- people that use the wrong lane and then try to "cut in" late

- young people that lounge in the senior/disability seats on the train, while they're glued to their phone

- how excited some people get when the new iPhone comes out

- people that get on an escalator and stand on the left side, without moving

- facial pubes, or beards, as they're known

- those douchy haircuts on men. You know the ones.

- those long pointy dress shoes some men wear, that makes their feet look like size 15 lol

- men who wear shoes without socks

- dreadlocks (that's just nasty)

- the metoo movement

- overly flamboyant people (calm the F down, we know you're out)

- guys in their 30s with skateboards and BMX bikes

- people who wear touques during summer

- people who wear shorts during winter

- the smell of a person who just had a cigarette joint

Guilty of the bolded lol.