The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

I like when people throw an imo in there once in a while. If not I find you come off arrogant. 

Imo dahlen isn't ready for the nhl from what I've  seen at prospect camp 

Sounds alot better than

Dahlen isn't ready for the nhl from what I've  seen at prospect camp 

of course that's just my opinion lol

IMO...LOL is irritating as well...and most people do use IMO not imo which is yelling according to kids these days is it not...that comes off as arrogant to me...as I said everything stated on here is the writer's opinion unless stated otherwise....

#newspeakisannoying

Dahlen is however not at all irritating...

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/28/tsp-vancouver-canucks-prospects/

#5 Prospect: Jonathan Dahlen

Left Wing/Centre — shoots Left
Born December 20th 1997 — Östersund, Sweden
Height 5’11” — Weight 176 lbs [180 cm / 80 kg]
Drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the 2nd round, #42 overall at the 2016 NHL Entry Draft
Traded to the Vancouver Canucks, February 2017

Dahlen was acquired from the Ottawa Senators at the trade deadline, in a move that sent Burrows to the nations capital. He played with Elias Pettersson in the Allvenskan and had a remarkable seaosn with 25 goals and 44 points in 45 games. He also added six points in four playoff games. At the World Juniors he had five goals and six points in seven games.

Skating

Dahlen is not the fastest skater, but his speed isn’t bad either. It is currently slightly above average, and improved last season. He could be even better with a more fluid stride. Its a bit awkward and choppy. Dahlen could stand to work with a good skating coach and improve his technique to get faster. He does have some outstanding agility and edge work though. Even without the speed, Dahlen is able to beat defenders one-on-one with his good stickhandling skills, and his ability to quickly change directions, or change speeds. He could stand to work on his balance and not be pushed around as much in battles along the boards.  This may come just from increased muscle mass though.

Offensive Game

Dahlen is an impressive offensive talent. He may be a bit undersized, but he has all the skills scouts look for when it comes to an offensive forward. He has an excellent array of shots, including a good wrist shot with a quick release; a hard slapshot; and a quality backhand. He has the soft hands to make moves on defenders and get himself the open space to get a shot off, as well as the hockey sense and the elusiveness to find open spots in the defence where a teammate can hit him with a pass.

Dahlen can also play the role of play maker, with excellent vision and hockey sense, and the talent to slide the puck through small openings, or flip a saucer pass to a teammate. He can stand to be more physical, and play a bit less of a perimeter game going forward though and get to the more dirty areas of the ice.

Defensive Game

Jonathan Dahlen’s defensive game is a bit of a work in progress. He has a tendency to fly the zone early as he looks to drive offence through the transition game. He also can get caught out of position when he starts to puck watch and stops moving his feet. A good coach will need to work with Dahlen before he is ready to get to the NHL level.

Outlook

Dahlen has signed his entry-level contract and will head to Canucks camp looking for a job. That seems unlikely, though. Dahlen is likely to need another season of development. Whether that happens in the AHL, or back in Sweden though remains to be seen.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is pretty much what I figured the player/management thought process would be but I don't think I've seen anyone actually mention it in media:

http://www.dobberprospects.com/jonathan-dahlen/

July 2017 - We'll have to wait until after training camp to find out where the goal-scoring winger will end up playing in 2017-18 but through interviews at the Canucks' recent development camp, it was revealed that if Dahlen was close to being NHL ready he'd suit up in the AHL with the Utica Comets. If the Canucks' brass feel he's a little bit away yet, a chance to reunite with his best friend and Canucks' top prospect, Elias Pettersson with Vaxjo of the SHL is a tantalizing proposition. At this point, both choices appear to be quite favourable for Dahlen's long term development. Cam Robinson

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

So according to Ryan Biech prospect Jonathan Dahlen is not playing in the young stars tourney due to a case of mono! What the hell is with all our prospects getting damn mono all the bloody time?????

unsurprisingly, young professional athletes are popular with the ladies. 

• Upvote 1

Haha...well that's just typical isn't it!

Too bad though, was really hoping to get a read on how close he is and as such, whether he'd be close enough to stay in Utica (load 'em up!) or go back to Europe for one more season. 

I hope folks a re prepared for a likely sub par season statistically though. Mono does a number on you and once behind on conditioning etc, it's hard for most guys to catch up throughout the season.

Here's the tweets FWIW:

Edited by J.R.

Maybe try to keep him in Utica/Vancouver to monitor his health, let him get seen by our medical staff and ease him in for next Season. Sucks it happens but looks like it's the status that gets them popular with the ladies. Wish that was my case when I got mono last year lol

36 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Hoping he goes back to Sweden. Anyone know if his contract will slide another year that way? I think that's what happened with Goldobin.

Doesn't slide unfortunately. He has a December birthday and falls into the exception rule (signed at age 19 but turns 20 between Sept 16 and Dec 31 of first year of contract) and is therefore ineligible.

1 hour ago, hyper00 said:

Maybe try to keep him in Utica/Vancouver to monitor his health, let him get seen by our medical staff and ease him in for next Season. Sucks it happens but looks like it's the status that gets them popular with the ladies. Wish that was my case when I got mono last year lol

What's up with all the mono going around?

....I knew a total of 2 people who had in high school back in my day....way....way ...back....sounds like it's a common cold now....

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....I knew a total of 2 people who had in high school back in my day....way....way ...back....sounds like it's a common cold now....

Because it spreads and stupid kids like me (I feel mature for 22 but I have moments...) Don't ask these things and before you know it, you lose weight, motivation/energy, and even laying down is painful. I couldn't play EASHL which is a video game, I couldn't imagine trying to play professional hockey. 

28 minutes ago, hyper00 said:

Because it spreads and stupid kids like me (I feel mature for 22 but I have moments...) Don't ask these things and before you know it, you lose weight, motivation/energy, and even laying down is painful. I couldn't play EASHL which is a video game, I couldn't imagine trying to play professional hockey. 

EASHL is for scrubs LG/VGHL (League Gaming/Virtual Gaming Hockey League) or bust.

Edited by Nucksfollower1983

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Well, it is a virus. You can contract it just as easily as a cold. People like to call it the "kissing disease", but that's quite the misnomer.

Sucks about Dahlen though, I was looking forward to seeing him skate with everyone.