The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

17 hours ago, mll said:

Baer has yet to play with Pettersson.  It was Eriksson-Goldy with Pettersson before his concussion.  Since his return Baer has been playing with Granlund.  They did play together today but it's only because Leivo got injured.

Yeah it wasn't fair to put Sven in there just yet. I'd rather see Baertschi back with Horvat to give you more top 6 scoring and Goldy with Petey and Brock. Playing Horvat with checkers basically means you have 3 checking lines and 1 scoring line instead of 2 and 2. Once Sutter comes back it solidifies the bottom 6 and I think Leivo will eventually slot in there.

I'm hoping for a Baerstchi like turnaround in Goldy 's 2 way game. 

How old was Sven when he started to get it? It was obviously not in Calgary

*Edit 

Sven was 22 the year he got traded to the canucks. Green worked with him in Utica that year and it took almost 2 years for him to become a complete player. Goldy is 23. If the canucks are super patient with him, id say he has the rest of this year and off season to prove his commitment level and then we should watch for some major growth next season. 

If we don't see that by then, it's prob fine to cut ties with him. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

As polarizing Goldy can be at times, I think this is how I feel about him.  Even though he is far removed from being a rookie, I often forget this is his first full season as a pro.  

I do think Goldy can do what Virtanen and Hutton did when leaned on by TG and the rest of the coaching staff to be better.  As his fitness keeps improving I think the areas of his game where he gets criticized (puck pursuit/coverage/turning the puck over) will improve as well.  He can definitely pass the puck very well and has great vision- he just needs to add a bit more horsepower and torque to his engine.

I think next season is a big test for him.  Can he come back in great shape and show he's ready to be a solid top 6 winger?  He's gotta do what Baertschi has done in his development as a smaller skilled winger.

22 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

As polarizing Goldy can be at times, I think this is how I feel about him.  Even though he is far removed from being a rookie, I often forget this is his first full season as a pro.  

I do think Goldy can do what Virtanen and Hutton did when leaned on by TG and the rest of the coaching staff to be better.  As his fitness keeps improving I think the areas of his game where he gets criticized (puck pursuit/coverage/turning the puck over) will improve as well.  He can definitely pass the puck very well and has great vision- he just needs to add a bit more horsepower and torque to his engine.

I think next season is a big test for him.  Can he come back in great shape and show he's ready to be a solid top 6 winger?  He's gotta do what Baertschi has done in his development as a smaller skilled winger.

I’m right because I agree with Benning and always have regarding Goldy.

no rush to have this guy be Bergeron.  He tracking well.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Cali Breizh said:

Please  keep him on the roster. Love his skill levels and more reliable in defense than Boeser! On the other hand, Eriksson has been invisible in the last few games and he should be scratched for few games to motivate him.

Goldy is soft and crap on defense...he won't waste his time skating back to help out like EP does every shift.

I could not care less if goldy stays on this team. If fact, I kinda want him traded.

Not every player is a 4x4 pickup truck like Bo.  Goldobin is like a Maserati.... lots of flash, a bit quirky, a good engine under the hood... but you'll never want it to tow cargo.  

That being said, I hope he can become similar to Baertschi.  Not someone you want on the ice to protect the lead, but just someone who can put 100% into every shift.  A player getting into a bad position due to trying too hard is better than a player being unreliable due to not being engaged enough.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Not every player is a 4x4 pickup truck like Bo.  Goldobin is like a Maserati.... lots of flash, a bit quirky, a good engine under the hood... but you'll never want it to tow cargo.  

That being said, I hope he can become similar to Baertschi.  Not someone you want on the ice to protect the lead, but just someone who can put 100% into every shift.  A player getting into a bad position due to trying too hard is better than a player being unreliable due to not being engaged enough.  

Hopefully Goldy has a great game against the Laffers. IMO there is more to see in this kid but I have to see it by the TDL. Not critical to move him but a good hockey trade might make it happen. With his talent a 100 NHL games is not enough to know is potential. 

• Upvote 1

I want to hold out hope, it is just his first full season, but he looks like a passenger. He's got offensive talent, his puck skills are probably 2nd best on the team, but he doesn't drive offense at this level on any real consistent basis.

I'm not sure I see Goldobin as a guy this team wins with long term, I like Goldy so I hope he is, but I just don't have a great feeling about it.

I think everyone hoped he would follow the Baertschi path but Baertschi actually changed his game a bit.

Baertschi plays responsible D and works just as hard in the dirty areas as anywhere else. Baertschi was a flashy guy like Goldobin who tried to beat you with skill, but now he's become more of an opportunistic player who beats you with smarts, vision & jumping into spots at the right times.

I don't know if I see Goldy becoming a player as committed to defense & battling infront/along the board as he is to trying to make a nice pass or deke on a rush. Again hope I'm wrong though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I want to hold out hope, it is just his first full season, but he looks like a passenger. He's got offensive talent, his puck skills are probably 2nd best on the team, but he doesn't drive offense at this level on any real consistent basis.

I'm not sure I see Goldobin as a guy this team wins with long term, I like Goldy so I hope he is, but I just don't have a great feeling about it.

I think everyone hoped he would follow the Baertschi path but Baertschi actually changed his game a bit.

Baertschi plays responsible D and works just as hard in the dirty areas as anywhere else. Baertschi was a flashy guy like Goldobin who tried to beat you with skill, but now he's become more of an opportunistic player who beats you with smarts, vision & jumping into spots at the right times.

I don't know if I see Goldy becoming a player as committed to defense & battling infront/along the board as he is to trying to make a nice pass or deke on a rush. Again hope I'm wrong though.

Agreed. Many feel that the decision on Goldy has to be made this year. It might be but I do not see a push from down below that shunts him out. Like you said this is his first full season. IMHO he needs more scoring to stick. He is a playmaker but does not shine enough. 

On 1/6/2019 at 6:31 AM, Boudrias said:

Agreed. Many feel that the decision on Goldy has to be made this year. It might be but I do not see a push from down below that shunts him out. Like you said this is his first full season. IMHO he needs more scoring to stick. He is a playmaker but does not shine enough. 

I agree. Its a great point about not alot of push from behind. Its really only Dahlen unless they can get a winger in free agency. 

4 minutes ago, shad0w4life said:

Exactly how I feel about JV as well, but I'm at the point of trade them both for Barzal or someone :D 

Barzel is not going anywhere.  Plus, I don't think he is what we need.  If Goldy is moved, the return would be another guy of similar age and development.  If we could get a second rounder, I'd be over the moon, but I don't think Goldy carries that value.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Barzel is not going anywhere.  Plus, I don't think he is what we need.  If Goldy is moved, the return would be another guy of similar age and development.  If we could get a second rounder, I'd be over the moon, but I don't think Goldy carries that value.

I said JV and Goldy, package em up and ship them out ;)

Both have been Ok this year but the current theme of the boards is to get rid of young players that aren't living up to expectations, so lets get some 2nd rounders.

1 minute ago, shad0w4life said:

I said JV and Goldy, package em up and ship them out ;)

Both have been Ok this year but the current theme of the boards is to get rid of young players that aren't living up to expectations, so lets get some 2nd rounders.

Trading Goldy is one thing, but (even considering) trading Jake would be foolish, unless the return was a Seth Jones level - young - D man.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

Exactly how I feel about JV as well, but I'm at the point of trade them both for Barzal or someone :D 

To be clear, you believe Goldy/JV could return Barzal......or someone?  OK then.  

• Haha 1