The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

4 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Patience???? Goldobin is in his fourth season, that smiley face isn't going to keep him in the NHL for long, once Dahlen, McKewen, Baertchi, and Sutter are ready to go. Gaudette is here to stay, as well. He can't play bottom 6, like Jake can either. I think management has some decisions to make with Goldy, and Schaller once everyone is up to speed.

I would take Goldy over Baertchi and McKewen. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Patience???? Goldobin is in his fourth season, that smiley face isn't going to keep him in the NHL for long, once Dahlen, McKewen, Baertchi, and Sutter are ready to go. Gaudette is here to stay, as well. He can't play bottom 6, like Jake can either. I think management has some decisions to make with Goldy, and Schaller once everyone is up to speed.

Just..no

Goldobin has just as much value as JV, both are young and putting up decent numbers, and Goldobin has faced a lot more skilled player match ups

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Goldobin just turned 23. He has a very high end skill set and is progressing as a player under Green's tutelage. As much as I like Sven Baertschi , he has had 5 concussions now and his long term viability is seriously in question. I also am a fan of Adam Gaudette but his waiver exemption will see him back in Utica once both Sutt's and Baer are ready to go. If JB is dead set against putting Schaller on waivers then Biega is the logical choice for the waiver wire.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
clarity
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

Just..no

Goldobin has just as much value as JV, both are young and putting up decent numbers, and Goldobin has faced a lot more skilled player match ups

In my opinion, he hasn't figured out the 200 foot game. Maybe that's not in his makeup, but, to stick around and gain the coaches and players trust, I believe he has to show far more when he doesn't have the puck. I see Jake out on the ice more than Goldobin when the game is on the line, as well, Jake has played all four lines so far on this team. Would you put Goldobin on the ice with less than a minute to go, when the Canucks are up a goal? Green wouldn't. As I've said before, points aren't the be all to end all.

Edited by johngould21

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

he has had 5 concussions now

Dam that's unfortunate, and that last one looked so minor.  I wonder if he's talked to Dorsett at all about life after hockey and making that difficult decision to hang 'em up. 

6 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

Just..no

Sorry to break this to you, but Goldy has very little trade value.  Jake would return a lot.  

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

6 points in his last 10 games.
16 points since his 9 game pointless streak which makes 16 points in 21 games

21GP 4G-11A-16P  +2 +/- since his pointless streak

I still feel like he's underrated. Creates a lot of offense and scores over 0.5 points-per-game.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

6 points in his last 10 games.
16 points since his 9 game pointless streak which makes 16 points in 21 games

21GP 4G-11A-16P  +2 +/- since his pointless streak

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I still feel like he's underrated. Creates a lot of offense and scores over 0.5 points-per-game.

He looks like he's not doing much but he is.  Last night he wasn't much of a factor until he assisted on Horvat's tying goal which was pretty clutch for all involved.  Even the fancy stats show he's one of the better forwards on this team and definitely should be in the top 6.  I think this team is going to have to make a decision on who to keep - Bartschi(butchered the spelling) or Goldobin going forward and right now I hope they go with Goldy. 

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

He looks like he's not doing much but he is.  Last night he wasn't much of a factor until he assisted on Horvat's tying goal which was pretty clutch for all involved.  Even the fancy stats show he's one of the better forwards on this team and definitely should be in the top 6.  I think this team is going to have to make a decision on who to keep - Bartschi(butchered the spelling) or Goldobin going forward and right now I hope they go with Goldy. 

There is no doubt that Baer is a top 6 NHL player. Goldy is showing the ability to be as well but has to show consistency. If he comes out of this season with +40 points then he is there. I think he thinks the game in a superior way. I like Baer but his size is an issue and sadly his long term health is a issue. I would move him if possible. Goldy is playing at 200 pounds right now. Goldy is a set up man and Baer is more the shooter. On the d-side they are pretty equal.  

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

There is no doubt that Baer is a top 6 NHL player. Goldy is showing the ability to be as well but has to show consistency. If he comes out of this season with +40 points then he is there. I think he thinks the game in a superior way. I like Baer but his size is an issue and sadly his long term health is a issue. I would move him if possible. Goldy is playing at 200 pounds right now. Goldy is a set up man and Baer is more the shooter. On the d-side they are pretty equal.  

I agree that svens health may be a concern but not so much size.  Svens 190 is much more effective than goldobins 200. He's played well in a sheltered role but he's soft as butter and his defense is still terrible. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Baertschi has a spot next to Horvat. They have undeniable chemistry, which okay. The Canucks are in a weird spot where they have no clear cut top line. Is it Horvats line? Or Petterssons line that is the 1st line? Either way, Goldy is going to play the wing on one of those lines and so is Baertschi

23 year old on pace for 45 points, third on the team in scoring.  Lots not to like about his game, but it ain't all bad.  Considering he was on the bubble at the beginning of the season, I'm thrilled with how he is progressing.  

Look folks, it's not like we've got tons of options to choose from when it comes to productive wingers, and there isn't a ton of help on the way in the prospect pool.

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He just doesn't put in the extra effort, he avoids contact, he avoids being the first guy in on the forechecks.  He needs to go, I don't want this type of player around our young guys.  Trade him for whatever or send him back to Russia.  It's a shame cause he is super talented

Over 0.5 points a game.   That’s a fair contribution,  and you want to trade him for “whatever”?

All players have different styles to their game,  I see his as 3 speed.

1.He can operate and create a play with the puck standing still..  and wait patiently in a position to receive where the puck should go.

2. Can Coast with the puck and draw players to the outskirts of their zones and dish off to a teammate in a pre-meditated play.

3. Can anticipate a breakout and get the jump into open ice keeping a great stride.

His shot is solid, quick.. and getting better..  he is stealth like.

His 200ft game has developed from zilch..  even his Coach appreciates and rewards him.

Bartschi will be gone before NG.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

EP and BB are friends with NG you don't hear much about JV trying to build relationships.

Lazy? he's always back checking, predators game he took a crazy chance trying to tie the game which lead to a goal, he shot the puck point blank like he was trying to win at all cost.

• Cheers 1

I like Goldobin.. He's fun to watch as talented as all hell. I don't even think his compete level is that much of an issue any more, as I see him digging for pucks in the corners much more than I used to.

With that said, I still don't really see him as a permanent part of our top 6. While he isn't as much of a perimeter player as he was when we first got him, he still ends up losing most of the puck battles he engages in, and still has way too many brainfarts to be a dependable player. Unfortunately I see him as trade bait somewhere down the line. A young player with impressive offensive numbers that we might be able to dangle as part of a package for something that would really help us, be it a Dman, a pick, or a top 6 left winger with some grit. 

However, I'd love to be wrong about him. He has made some serious strides since coming here. I just don't have a lot of hope that the massive holes in his game can be filled.

• Upvote 1

On 12/14/2018 at 10:57 PM, Tre Mac said:

From the lack of news coming from Baer's camp. I'm worried that the decision has been made already. 

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I like Goldobin.. He's fun to watch as talented as all hell. I don't even think his compete level is that much of an issue any more, as I see him digging for pucks in the corners much more than I used to.

With that said, I still don't really see him as a permanent part of our top 6. While he isn't as much of a perimeter player as he was when we first got him, he still ends up losing most of the puck battles he engages in, and still has way too many brainfarts to be a dependable player. Unfortunately I see him as trade bait somewhere down the line. A young player with impressive offensive numbers that we might be able to dangle as part of a package for something that would really help us, be it a Dman, a pick, or a top 6 left winger with some grit. 

However, I'd love to be wrong about him. He has made some serious strides since coming here. I just don't have a lot of hope that the massive holes in his game can be filled.

Goldy has this season to establish himself. At almost the half way point in the season I think we should be encouraged by his progress. He obviously has high end skills and ice vision. Maturing his game is all about TOI and coaching his game. At the very least if Benning decides to move on his stats should provide a market in a trade. I actually see this process becoming a Canuck reality as the quality of the prospects go up. Benning actually has pieces to trade if he decides to. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

this is how i see him too. i just don't see where he fits on this team, going forward. maybe if jim goes with 3 scoring lines, he could fight it out with baertschi for the 3rd line lw spot.

i see dahlen, leivo, boeser and virtanen ahead of him. i too will eat crow if i'm wrong.