The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks being approached about Tanev

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Most likely. That, and Pettersson and Glass coming to Vancouver for further interviews.

holy cow. Pettersson may be Jims guy. I'm actually ok with that, the scouting reports are pretty darn good and I like that he and Dahlen have had good chemistry. 

2 minutes ago, mpt said:

Tanev for Duchene... not going to happen but i can dream

Duchene is turning 26, and kind looking like he's regressing.  Plus, he's totally lost when without the puck, especially in defensive position.  Tanev is worth a better (younger) return.

7 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

holy cow. Pettersson may be Jims guy. I'm actually ok with that, the scouting reports are pretty darn good and I like that he and Dahlen have had good chemistry. 

Fits Benning's criteria of players he's looking for: playmaking centerman. The biggest question is will he be able to adapt to NA ice. He's struggled on it especially during the World Juniors.

I do think he has the highest upside out of anyone in the top 10. Could be a Niklas Backstrom type player.

If Edmonton or Toronto were involved, I'd gamble on their 2018 first round pick instead. Two young teams that could very well experience some more growing pains next year. Similar to the Avs after McKinnons first year or Florida last year

9 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Lol where have you been? That's what half of CDC has been throwing around for weeks now.

Actually, I doubt that Dallas is going to give up their 3rd. It's been suggested that, rather than dumping one of their expensive goalies, they will just do a buyout - that would cost them $1.5 mil for 2 years. Tanev is not worth a 3rd OP, even in this draft with a lack of superstar prospects. I would look at teams that see themselves having a window over the next 3-4 years (Tanev's great contract). Who are the possibles in that context?  Dallas (just don't expect that 3rd), Buffalo (they just need to start winning soon), Toronto. Maybe teams like Colorado too, not because they have a competitive window, but because they need to start building a solid, more defensively responsible team (but not for the 4th). And then, if a high draft pick is not available, then Benning is always willing to look at talented and young prospects!

35 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Fits Benning's criteria of players he's looking for: playmaking centerman. The biggest question is will he be able to adapt to NA ice. He's struggled on it especially during the World Juniors.

I do think he has the highest upside out of anyone in the top 10. Could be a Niklas Backstrom type player.

I don't really have concerns about that for that with a young player if everything else is there, particularly for a F. I think that matters a lot more for D. 

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

From Friedman, with an interview with Benning: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rumour-roundup-asking-price-high-canucks-chris-tanev/

Benning seems reluctant to move Tanev, and who can blame him - we'd be even worse without the guy. It seems that teams are bringing Tanev's name up but Benning wants something exceptional. I mean he's still young and on a great contract, I dare say Benning has the edge in these negotiations. 

You got that right. JB has a player who many teams want, that he doesn't especially want to give up. Hard to imagine a much bigger edge than that.

35 minutes ago, Filthy McNasty said:

Every one and there proposals and new lines!

not one person put Megna and his 1 way deal in there lines!

If everyone is healthy I don't think there is a spot for Megna. He was signed to be a reliable 13-15th forward or a top line Utica player. The Canucks won't mind putting him on waivers and paying him an NHL salary to play on the farm.

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

He seems like a really high risk; high reward player to me.  Especially if he's picked at #5.  He will take +++ to develop into an NHL player.  I would be surprised if JB took a risk like that at this point in his career.  Lots of folks are still shaking their heads from the Virtanen pick and choosing Juolevi over MK.

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Did Benning not personally scout Timra?

Maybe he already did his interview of Liljegren. Maybe he already knows what he needs to know and doesn't want other teams to think he's interested.

That's a pretty big bluff,and why would Benning  even need to bluff..?...I guarantee that Dallas and Colorado are not taking Liljegren,so he would easily be there at 5...Glass and Pettersen have been invited by the Canucks for further interviews..The Canucks did not interview Liljegren this week,and they have no further plans to.. makes it sound a bit remote..IMO

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Duchene is turning 26, and kind looking like he's regressing.  Plus, he's totally lost when without the puck, especially in defensive position.  Tanev is worth a better (younger) return.

He's not regressing, just playing for the Avs.

14 minutes ago, westcoast said:

What about 29 and 39? 5 picks in the top 55.

I wouldnt do that.  Too low and far too much of a crap shoot.

Tanev is elite in his role, and a very good player overall.  If we were to trade him, it would have to be for a pick that gives us a very good chance of getting an excellent player.  We have lots of complimentry players.... What we need now is both a #1 defensemen and top line forward talent.  I don't think that level of pick gives us a reasonable chance of that.

I think of we are looking at trading him for a draft pick, it needs to be inside the top 1st or 2nd ideally, but no lower than the single digits. Straight across, I imagine he's worth around the 6th maybe?  I guess there would be a lot of opinions on that but I think thats fair.

I really think if we were to deal, Dallas makes the most sense.  Tanev plus our 55th and Cole Cassels for the 3OA.  Throw in another late pick if need be.....

Likewise with most of you, I'd only trade Tanev if it's an overpayment. If it gives us another pick in the top 10 plus a prospect with NHL upside then I'll be all over it. If it provides us with a top 6 forward who's within the age group we are aiming for, that would be great as well. As long as we get a solid return, I'll be a happy camper. 

Tanev + Cassels + 55th OA to PHI for 2nd OA

Trade Edler to Boston for the 18th pick.

Trade #18 + Rodin + Sbisa/Gaunce to DAL for Niemi and #3 OA

Draft Hischier or NP at #2

Draft Vilardi at #3

Draft Makar or Heiskanen at #5

Vilardi Hischier Boeser

Baertschi/Goldobin Horvat Dahlen

Virtanen Granlund Gaudette

Molino Sutter McEwen

Juolevi Makar

Tryamkin Stecher 

Hutton Gudbranson 

Demko