The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, BananaMash said:

Vilardi's foot speed is pretty weak. He'd have been a good pick too, but Petterson isn't that far off.

If you are going to define a player based on his skating as a junior that the franchise should have given up with Bo Horvat the moment the team drafted him

Edited by iinatcc

2 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Can't just judge solely off points though, Twins killed the Swedish leagues but had a harder time transitioning to the NHL game play, whereas Nylander had an off draft +1 year in Sweden but got it together faster and had a better transition to the NHL.

Hopefully Pettersson can transition well and become an impact player for us for a long time! :towel:

Nylander was the best young player in the SHL in his draft+1.  He was only 1 point shy of P/GP on arguably the worst team of the SHL - he had 20pts in 21 games.  Toronto then decided to recall him when Modo fired their coach and sent him to the AHL.  Teams are allowed to recall 1st rounders (there's a deadline in January) but not later round picks.  

Edited by mll

19 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Why does everyone keep using this example?  

Because, much like Horvat, Vilardi is also defined by his great character guy with a strong work ethic. Part of having those traits is knowing what you need to work on and improve on it just like Horvat did and what Vilardi is likely to do. 

Also for people saying he has a high risk high reward player you might want to check this 

http://thehockeywriters.com/elias-pettersson-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

His Risk level is 3/5 and Reward is 3.5/5 

Comparison

Vilardi - Risk 2/5 Reward 4/5

Glass - Risk 1/5 Reward 5/5 

So who do you go for someone who has a very low risk but high reward or someone with a higher risk and lower reward? hmmm 

Edited by iinatcc

Look I know I am not a hockey expert and, like most here, I'm just a spectator but I do read and listen to what the actual hockey experts, analysts, and professionals have to say and the consensus is that Glass and Vilardi were higher ranked prospects than Pettersson.

In the case of Glass he is a very safe player to pick with a very high ceiling (Mark Scheifele and Patrice Bergeron). What that is your BPA in a position the organization needs to fillout mid and long term, why go for someone with a higher risk and basically "a project" 

1 hour ago, khay said:

Actually, Nylander scored 20 points in 21 games in draft + 1 year in Sweden. Having said that, Nylander had already played 1 year in top tier with Modo in the year before. So I don't think it's reasonable to expect Pettersson to score at a rate similar to Nylander or even the Sedins, who played at the top league since they were 16/17, but the points will show that his skill is going to translate to the NHL based on players in the past that are of similar type (high sense and skill). 

I think Pettersson with slim build will take longer than Nylander and will probably take similarly long as the Sedins (3-5 years) before becoming an elite level player. By then, Bo will be 25-27, the prime age.

33 minutes ago, mll said:

Nylander was the best young player in the SHL in his draft+1.  He was only 1 point shy of P/GP on arguably the worst team of the SHL - he had 20pts in 21 games.  Toronto then decided to recall him when Modo fired their coach and sent him to the AHL.  Teams are allowed to recall 1st rounders (there's a deadline in January) but not later round picks.  

Yeah my bad, I misread the years when checking the stats hahah, thanks for correcting me!

But yes, I am hoping Pettersson turns out for us, he is an amazingly skilled player

Edited by MrCanuck94
  • Upvote 1

*******************A Late-Feb Perspective*********************

Here's a hypothetical question, fwiw...

What if we time-traveled back to late Feb, 4 months back? I think we'd be in about 20th OA, & starting to fade..(whatever?). I don't know precisely how highly Petterson was regarded at that moment..I'd imagine in Sweden it was pretty high.

At that time, the hockey Gods would tell you the Nucks would slide to a bottom-3 finish(league-wide) in 2 mos.

Then they offer you Dahlen for Burrows, IF you accepted EP as our top choice, here in June.

How many fans, would have grabbed this & ran?

Have we added 2 legitimate pieces(for say, at least a decade of solid contribution to our top-6)?.. Sure hope so.

I guess that's the question I feel this all boils down to.

I can see him becoming one of the best players in the draft if he reaches his full potential...

- McKeen's Hockey

He’s one of the best thinkers in the draft class and when you combine that with his skill it creates a very desirable package...

Hockey Prospect Black Book

While we’ve picked him at fifth, it wouldn’t be a bad selection even as early as third. Whichever team gets their hands on Pettersson is going to have, at worst, a very good second line centre in their future – and it’s as likely as not that he becomes a first line centre in the NHL down the road.

- Canuck Army

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

After the picking Pettersson over Glass in the Draft The Canucks are now one of the bigger losers of the NHL Draft according to The Bleacher Report 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717660-2017-nhl-draft-results-biggest-winners-and-losers-of-round-1

the bleacher report hahaha, thise guys know jack squat about hockey

• Like 1

General consensus was that after 2 this was a wide open draft and the next 10 spots could really be anyone, turns out it was more like 15.  

Ultimately Benning got the player he wanted and one he was very familiar with.  No 17 year old has ever scored like Petterson did in his league, which is a men's league.  Strange to see CA even liking something Benning did, they never do that.  

Every draft we will have the same response on here no matter who gets picked, if it appears to be a little off the board then people go nuts.  Our team lacks skill and anything resembling centre depth so we picked maybe the most skilled forward/centre in the draft.  Hope they stick him in a Sedin basement for the summer and get him working out with quality trainers.

LV got the guy they wanted so win win.

Hate to say it though, the Leafs got the steal of the draft and exactly the guy they needed.  I would have been perfectly happy with Lilljegren at five, to get him at 17 wow.

Funny the Leafs develop a good plan, get lucky on several occasions and rebuild done, Edmonton has no plan and needs to get lucky again and again and again and again and then finally gets a generational player that forces them kicking and scream into being good.  We have no plan and no luck so this rebuild is going to be a long one.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, khay said:

Yeah, I think SHL is the better league for Pettersson for now. It let's him develop in a more comfortable environment. 

If Pettersson gets anywhere between 0.5-0.7 PPG in his first season, then we will know that we have struck gold.  Greater than 0.7 PPG and we have near Sedin level prospect. 

Agreed, considering he is also going to Vaxjo, which was the best team in the SHL this past season. He will also play with his brother Emil and the same team that Philip Holm played in. 

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

After the picking Pettersson over Glass in the Draft The Canucks are now one of the bigger losers of the NHL Draft according to The Bleacher Report 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717660-2017-nhl-draft-results-biggest-winners-and-losers-of-round-1

If their sole reason for calling us losers is that Glass will be ready sooner than Pettersson, then that's just stupid. I mean, it is the Bleacher Report, so it's generally stupid, but that's even more stupid.

We aren't in a rush to get players in our lineup that can help us win now. We still have a number of remaining core, veteran players, and they'll move out slowly as our prospects our ready to move in. Once Pettersson is ready, we will have found out if a good number of our existing prospects have made it and we'll probably be in much more of a contending spot.

It's like the Juolevi vs Tkatchuk debate of last year. "Oh, Vancouver didn't pick the guy that's scoring now even though they're rebuilding and it doesn't matter and they might have a player who will help them more in a couple of years." Ok then.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

You know... it ain't hard to speed up your weight gain to 180 in 2 weeks... do what I do best - KFC and donuts every single day!! 

So you're going to put him on the Krutov training plan?  (a little Easter egg for long-time fans)  GCG!

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

If you are going to define a player based on his skating as a junior that the franchise should have given up with Bo Horvat the moment the team drafted him

There's more examples of players that didn't correct their foot speed issues than ones that did.

I'm just talking out of my back end obviously, but I'd venture to say that Horvat is the exception and not the rule.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, smokes said:

Dahlen becomes Daniel 

Pettersson becomes Henrik

I will respectfully disagree but because of this I just have to post this (again no disrespect but I can't get a time more appropriate than this) ....