The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

54 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

TSN just put up there "Trade Bait"  top 25 and we are the only team with there Draft pick listed...

Our 7th overall pick is listed at #7 on the trade bait list...2 spots above Noah Hanifin....

I always want the Canucks to be active on the Trade Market

but

if they trade their 7th this year i will not be happy to say the least.  There's a great top 10 this year, Whalstrom will likely be available at 7 and he is projected to be a first line sniper. 

I don't want to predict anything because JB's team seems to be the best at the draft that we have ever had and they haven't chosen anyone yet that I thought we should pick and they were right and I was wrong.

The past:

Virtanen; wanted Ritchie.

Boeser; didn't know enough but didn't want an American college kid.

Juolevi; wanted Sergachyov.

Pettersson; wanted Foote.

The future:

I want a defenseman:  Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson; not sold on Hughes.

JB & Co:  Zadina, Hughes, Wahlstrom; who knows?  I certainly don't.

3 I want, (same as above), Bogvist, Bouchard, Dobson.

3 I'm ok with (whatever JB & Co pick): Kotkanniemi, Zadina, Tkachuk.

3 I don't want (but still ok with whatever JB & Co pick): Hughes, Wahlstrom, Kravtsov.

16 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Good to see you down in the muck with the rest of us. ^_^

LOL.   I am seeing Europe go through a mess right now.   The entire world is unsure what to do next it seems and those who follow the rule of their laws are lambasted for it by those who have only rhetoric and no real solutions.   People need to move past politics and start working together towards solutions ... cue the handholding music.

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

TSN just did a mock draft ....

...we ended up with Boqvist .....even though all 3 of my favourites were still on the board...Dobson, Wahlstrom and Bouchard

If we end up with Boqvist...you can count on him having 3rd concussion ...probably stepping up to the draft podium...with our luck....

and then falling on the spider that bit Salo a few years ago

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

According to Judd Bracket the Canucks are rating players in terms of:  in order,

1. player type
  2. future potential (upside)
  3. hockey sense
  4. character/compete level
  5. skating
  6. skill

Benning has also said that he wants a PP Quarterback, Puck Mover

If Dobson and Bouchard are closest to this, does the upside sway Benning towards Dobson?

But does the upside factor also sway Benning towards Boqvist  who has a cannon of a shot and is more dynamic offensively.  I wonder what they are thinking about these offense only D men in the light of how they regarded Subban in the past.  Hughes would have the least information on defensive play but the best skater and a muffin of a shot.

I think we're looking at Bennings ranking of the D men as:

1. Dobson (6)
  2. Bouchard (7)
  3. Boqvist (10)
  4. Hughes (8)

According to McKenzie's latest list (brackets above), Dobson may be gone by 7 so Bouchard would be most likely

He has said PP QB, puck mover.  I like how you lean to Dobson based on upside though?

Acadia B did not use him to QB their power play, true? But, like Shea Weber, or Seabrook, he's still an absolute weapon based on his shot.

I personally equate him to a much more nimble Alex Edler. He has the shot, but also, which Alex, nor Shea, has the ability to step around forwards as they press the point. He's pretty good with the puck & also has very good agility. With which steps into the slot to create better shooting & passing positions instead of just unloading from the point. My point is, he is still very dangerous on the PP

And I would think he rates higher than Bouchard on upside. Based on athletic ability. Allthough that's debateable, just my take, with Bouchards superior passing & puck skills.  Player type, based on his defensive zone play. Compete level as displayed to date. I call hockey sense a draw, one is better offensively, the other defensively. Skating Dobson wins hands down. If you define skill as puck skills Bouchard wins hands down. But if you take in the ability to close out oncoming forwards, cut down angles, defensive stuff, again there are items Dobson has many items where he is more advanced. And both are elite at moving the puck, zone exits, entries, joining and productivity on the rush.

I, just my opinion, still rate Dobson higher than Bouchard on an aggregate of these items. And there have been reports the Canucks are very high on Dobson.

But I do specifically rate Boqvist even higher, and even more specifically based on upside.

6 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Bomqvist

EmW

:P You sure like Bomqvist

Its like Don Cherry always found something cute about Bieska?  He said it was his fists, but I reckon it was something else... :lol:

56 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He has said PP QB, puck mover.  I like how you lean to Dobson based on upside though?

Acadia B did not use him to QB their power play, true? But, like Shea Weber, or Seabrook, he's still an absolute weapon based on his shot.

I personally equate him to a much more nimble Alex Edler. He has the shot, but also, which Alex, nor Shea, has the ability to step around forwards as they press the point. He's pretty good with the puck & also has very good agility. With which steps into the slot to create better shooting & passing positions instead of just unloading from the point. My point is, he is still very dangerous on the PP

And I would think he rates higher than Bouchard on upside. Based on athletic ability. Allthough that's debateable, just my take, with Bouchards superior passing & puck skills.  Player type, based on his defensive zone play. Compete level as displayed to date. I call hockey sense a draw, one is better offensively, the other defensively. Skating Dobson wins hands down. If you define skill as puck skills Bouchard wins hands down. But if you take in the ability to close out oncoming forwards, cut down angles, defensive stuff, again there are items Dobson has many items where he is more advanced. And both are elite at moving the puck, zone exits, entries, joining and productivity on the rush.

I, just my opinion, still rate Dobson higher than Bouchard on an aggregate of these items. And there have been reports the Canucks are very high on Dobson.

But I do specifically rate Boqvist even higher, and even more specifically based on upside.

:P You sure like Bomqvist

Its like Don Cherry always found something cute about Bieska?  He said it was his fists, but I reckon it was something else... :lol:

Damm IPhone autocorrect!!!

I have been absolutely trying

to spell Bomqvist correctly, but alas I taught it the incorrect spelling and now I almost always miss this.  

I gaurantee that if he is our guy I will spell his name correctly. 

Just went back and saw that someone edited my post... now I get the whole concern over spelling...

Serriously, was that Bomquist’s mom on the forum.  Spelt it wrong to goade whomever feels the need to spell check others on the forum.  I do my best but relax. I now don’t want Bomquist based only on his mother harassing my spelling.  Grammar police, file your complaints in my complaints dept. 

John Wiesbrod said that the Canucks were a team that are in a rebuild. They are starting to use that more and more. It's a shame they didn't start 4 years ago. Not just saying it but acting like it. Now we get to see if they will act like it this year.

Archived