The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

On 2018-07-02 at 8:40 PM, Hutton Wink said:

The man-child is looking GOOOOD.  I figured after the draft last year that he'd be ready in 2 years and possibly even make a push by the next camp.  With his skating noticeably improved, it's going to be very interesting.

Damn

Gone is the man child. With that skating he is all man. 

His biggest weakness was skating and by the looks of that video, he has been working his butt off to improve it. 

Darkhorse at this season’s camp. Looks like the competition is already heating up and it’s only a prospect camp. 

20 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

image.thumb.png.2e2af2ae19450869211ee2ad99dda9ef.png

AT 6'2 209, he's already matched Jake's weight and passed him in height.  Add to that the improvement in skating, and he's coming along very well.  That plus daddy-Gud's guns, tattoos and all, but torso looks even thicker.

image.png.436a21957065e3ccb403ec2621f16825.png

Minor issue but I am pretty sure Virtanen is closer to 220. He was almost 230 when people were crapping on him when he slowed down cuz of the weight.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:43 AM, kloubek said:

Given my limited knowledge, I see it exactly like this.  He has an outside chance of being a 2nd line permanent player, but he has some work to do to get there.  Otherwise, most likely a 3rd line guy with a good all-around and heavier game with perhaps some pp and penalty killing time.

Too young to judge yet...  power forwards take the longest to develop, people fault him for consistancy but that's his age showing. developing players is new to vancouver for the most part, either picks have been traded usually. We've had some come through but not near enough... some "busts" too but with this many young guys, some are bound to make it. I think gadgetman will make it....

On 7/3/2018 at 8:55 PM, Hutton Wink said:

image.thumb.png.2e2af2ae19450869211ee2ad99dda9ef.png

AT 6'2 209, he's already matched Jake's weight and passed him in height.  Add to that the improvement in skating, and he's coming along very well.  That plus daddy-Gud's guns, tattoos and all, but torso looks even thicker.

image.png.436a21957065e3ccb403ec2621f16825.png

He really does look 35 years old.

Edited by Qwags

Palmu and Gadjovich lighting it up in Utica with Lind, Boucher, MacEwen, and possibly Dahlen...Archie as muscle...looks like two good 1st and 2nd lines for the farm team.

However, it would be better that one or two of these players are NHL ready this year and replace the placeholder vets. It is better development for them in the NHL if they can get 10+ minutes per game.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

How often does a player actually have his development stalled due to too much time in the AHL or whatever.  

Can that even happen? 

I know I’ve seen a few times where an overripe prospect gets moved because there’s a quality vet in place.. but has a real stud ever been lost because of that?

I think the whole “the vets are in the way” narrative is plain fear mongering.  If a kid is playing well enough they’ll be on the team sooner than later.

My guess and it is only a guess is that players who have been passed too many times every year eventually see the writing on the wall and eventually stop trying as hard to impress but you would have to be a bubble player for that to happen. I'm sure there were plenty of small guys who never made it to the big show but had they been given an actual chance they would've done well for themselves. However if a team doesn't want a small skilled guy on the team you would have to absolutely blow the doors off to get any consideration. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TGokou said:

My guess and it is only a guess is that players who have been passed too many times every year eventually see the writing on the wall and eventually stop trying as hard to impress but you would have to be a bubble player for that to happen. I'm sure there were plenty of small guys who never made it to the big show but had they been given an actual chance they would've done well for themselves. However if a team doesn't want a small skilled guy on the team you would have to absolutely blow the doors off to get any consideration. 

Yea that's more likely the case. It's not that the AHL is hurting their development it's the franchise that is showing them no room for advancement. That's why it's so important for a team like the Canucks to have a clear path for these players that keeps them motivated.

If we're keeping guys like Gagner on roster despite a guy like Dahlen being ready, then we might have a problem.

• Upvote 4