The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Sam Gagner [3 year x $3.15M AAV]

On 8/2/2017 at 3:44 AM, The Lock said:

The thing that I like about Gagner is he's consistent. Aside from his time in Philly, he's been at a pace of 40-50 points a season.

That's the funny thing. He does put up 40 to 50 pts which is very respectable for a player who is meant to bring in offense to a team. 

I mean looking at other players like Charlie Coyle who has comparable point totals they don't get as much heat as Gagner for some reason.

6 hours ago, teepain said:

Sedins/eriksson or gagner bank it!

I think he's RW with the Sedins. Maybe with Horvat/Baer if they want to spread the offense-only guys around a bit.

But if we're going to shelter a line with offensive starts etc, it would make sense to have him with the twins. Gives them a right handed guy for face offs on that side too. 

On 2017-07-22 at 3:37 AM, terrible.dee said:

I've been following the Buffalo buzz and the ONLY thing they talk about is how they need defense....over and over.....that's ALL they talk about, not just defense but a stable veteran presence who isn't too old, to stabilize the D........I mean C'mon........HELLO??????

Not just from their fans or media, from guys who cover the whole league, it's like they are begging for Tanev....for Godsakes he played his college hockey in Rochester......can a deal EVER be more obvious?!? And they just drafted another center!!.........I really think that they called Benning about this and he turned it down....which is beyond infuriating. I'm guessing he thinks we can't give up Tanev, we need him for our big playoff run this year.

30 other teams other than Buffalo and they can't get trade a d-man to Buffalo either. Wow....must be a conspiracy right? 

Maybe we should be like the Leafs and sign a 37 year old to a 3 year contract with a NMC? 

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

30 other teams other than Buffalo and they can't get trade a d-man to Buffalo either. Wow....must be a conspiracy right? 

Maybe we should be like the Leafs and sign a 37 year old to a 3 year contract with a NMC? 

I'm accustomed to a slightly higher standard of retort from you...this was ineffective, try using pertinent facts and pressing circumstances to make points,

The David Bowie "Cut and paste" method doesn't appear to lend its self to this forum, it just looks like some pre-arranged phrases in random order

Really.......this doesn't even read like you were replying to me,

On 7/28/2017 at 6:24 PM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Gotta tip my hat and give you the slow clap of respect.  

This is was the most honest and real post I have read from you and I can see your point of view.  To be honest with the mix of being scapegoated in the media whether we win or lose, or the second child persecution complex of fan base that tends to exist on the CDC, it isn't hard to see that Gagner is a great signing and is worth a lot more based on his production.  If he was a second rounder, he would likely have a different rep.  

On the other hand, he may really want to play in Van, and wanted to be here for a while.  

Great at signing and good post. 

EmW

Thanks.........but, doesn't anyone have anything to add as to why this guy seems to be marked with the NHL equivalent of the black plague? The stink of the Oilers isn't plausible anymore, I realize this may be a question to which no one who isn't in NHL management knows the answer too, but it's bizarre. Look at Andrew Cogliano, wasn't he an Oilers center that came up the same era as Sam? Wasn't more expected of him offensively? He's settled into a permanent/prominent role on the ducks and is never talked about as expendable. I feel like Sam's dad pissed off the wrong person at some point, or something silly like that because the reality of the player and the way he's been valued doesn't add up.

Here is a comparison of Cogliano and Gagner's careers, very similar, except that Sam is a bit better/younger/bigger/scores more, the one thing he would not be, however, is faster but does that justify how differently they have been looked at?:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93938

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=87885

1 minute ago, terrible.dee said:

Thanks.........but, doesn't anyone have anything to add as to why this guy seems to be marked with the NHL equivalent of the black plague? The stink of the Oilers isn't plausible anymore, I realize this may be a question to which no one who isn't in NHL management knows the answer too, but it's bizarre. Look at Andrew Cogliano, wasn't he an Oilers center that came up the same era as Sam? Wasn't more expected of him offensively? He's settled into a permanent/prominent role on the ducks and is never talked about as expendable. I feel like Sam's dad pissed off the wrong person at some point, or something silly like that because the reality of the player and the way he's been valued doesn't add up.

Here is a comparison of Cogliano and Gagner's careers, very similar, except that Sam is a bit better/younger/bigger/scores more, the one thing he would not be, however, is faster but does that justify how differently they have been looked at?:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93938

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=87885

No idea, 

the only explanation that makes sense to me is that there are so many Oiler Media hacks in the Canadian sports 'news' media that spun a ton of stories and that favoured the former Lowe regime.  Gagner had to be bad because Lowe had to know what he was doing. 

5 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I think the problem with Gagner is the expectations. He scored an insane amount of points in the OHL, although he played with Kane. His career high in points before this season was as an 18 year old rookie. Just wasn't able to take that next step. 

The skill is there he just struggles with consistency. Needs the right fit and the belief of the coach and he'll be fine.

If the Sedins and Del Zotto work together on the powerplay, I have no doubt Gagner will be able to rack up points playing on the number 1 unit.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, DeNiro said:

The skill is there he just struggles with consistency. Needs the right fit and the belief of the coach and he'll be fine.

If the Sedins and Del Zotto work together on the powerplay, I have no doubt Gagner will be able to rack up points playing on the number 1 unit.

My thoughts on Gagner are he doesn't have the drive.  The skill is there but not sure the motor always is.  He can seem a little indifferent at times.  That will drive a coach crazy over time.

5 hours ago, Borvat said:

My thoughts on Gagner are he doesn't have the drive.  The skill is there but not sure the motor always is.  He can seem a little indifferent at times.  That will drive a coach crazy over time.

With a shapely lass & bambinos to feed, maybe he'll keep it in drive?!

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

With a shapely lass & bambinos to feed, maybe he'll keep it in drive?!

True and he will likely have matured by age 27.  Maybe we get the best of Mr. Gagner.  He has the skill and will get the opportunity.   

8 hours ago, Borvat said:

True and he will likely have matured by age 27.  Maybe we get the best of Mr. Gagner.  He has the skill and will get the opportunity.   

Very true, plus he provides a good transition centre between our time in which Sedins turns into Pettersson. Hopefully he shines this year

• 1 year later...
  • -SN- locked this topic

Archived