The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap for Edm(what do U do?)

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

He got better as the season went on iirc.

He did have a career year last year.  No disagreement on that at all.   My point is he isn't going to keep that up - in my opinion.   I suspect by about Christmas they will have an issue in the net.

Its going to be difficult.  Cap has become a little more stagnent the last few years and isn't moving as quickly as before.  People say follow Pittsburg and Chicago models.  Well Pittsburg had trouble for a handful of years with 2 guys taking up so much cap space, took a while until the cap went up so they could really solidify their depth and win the previous 2 cups.  Chicago had Toews and Kane on pretty good contracts for their cup runs, now that they are making 10 each you can really see their depth has dropped like a rock.

On 17/08/2017 at 7:00 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

He did have a career year last year.  No disagreement on that at all.   My point is he isn't going to keep that up - in my opinion.   I suspect by about Christmas they will have an issue in the net.

Its possible, but he was excellent in NYR, mediocre in an undefended EDM before Larsson and Klefbom emerged his first year, and last year he pushed 40 wins.  I think he will do fine with a much improved defense and emerging offense.  He's not Thomas, but he is very good....for a goalie getting his shot in his late twenties early thirties.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Its possible, but he was excellent in NYR, mediocre in an undefended EDM before Larsson and Klefbom emerged his first year, and last year he pushed 40 wins.  I think he will do fine with a much improved defense and emerging offense.  He's not Thomas, but he is very good....for a goalie getting his shot in his late twenties early thirties.

His style relies on the rebounds getting cleared away and that isn't something the Edmonton team is very good at.   They had a lot of second chance posts, just misses etc. last year and were outchanced in more games than the other way around - only playoff team to be in that boat.   Even that last game against your Canucks where they won easily on the scoreboard, and shots were 44 to 17 for Edmonton but underlying stats were less flattering (still in Edmonton's favour - Canucks were clearly not playing with much) and take Edmonton's powerplay dominance away and a few of Vancouver's near misses go in and game shot totals get closer and the score likely too.   Edmonton still wins but so many of there other games were "close wins" and over time those even out and I believe both their D and their goaltending will be links in having that occur this year.   Of course they can still make some deals (moving RNH for defensive help is logical move) but if they are relying on CT for 60 plus games and same stats he had last year, that is pretty risky in my opinion.    

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

His style relies on the rebounds getting cleared away and that isn't something the Edmonton team is very good at.   They had a lot of second chance posts, just misses etc. last year and were outchanced in more games than the other way around - only playoff team to be in that boat.   Even that last game against your Canucks where they won easily on the scoreboard, and shots were 44 to 17 for Edmonton but underlying stats were less flattering (still in Edmonton's favour - Canucks were clearly not playing with much) and take Edmonton's powerplay dominance away and a few of Vancouver's near misses go in and game shot totals get closer and the score likely too.   Edmonton still wins but so many of there other games were "close wins" and over time those even out and I believe both their D and their goaltending will be links in having that occur this year.   Of course they can still make some deals (moving RNH for defensive help is logical move) but if they are relying on CT for 60 plus games and same stats he had last year, that is pretty risky in my opinion.    

You bet.  Edmonton needs one or two more good defenseman and then they would be set.  Tanev would sure help...only plus player last year... Puljajarvi???

24 minutes ago, Green Goblin said:

They'll need to buy out Lucic. Then he'll come crawling back to Vancouver, so we'll let him play in Utica.

Isn't his contract kind of like Eriksson's, and not really able to be bought out?  Maybe they buy out RNH?

They pretty much need to identify their core on D (which is already Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson, and Russell) and just keep a revolving door for the 5 and 6 on D. Their forward core is set and as mentioned, a revolving door in the middle/bottom six. Sekera and Fayne need to go as well as RNH for cap dump trades and they'll be fine

• 3 months later...
On ‎2017‎年‎8‎月‎28‎日 at 1:33 PM, N7Nucks said:

Find a home for Nuge. First and foremost. I'd dump Lucic but obviously that isn't realistic. Find a new home for Sekera. Luckily Fayne is off the books after next year. It'll be nip and tuck but I think it can be managed, if managed properly. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

Good post too.

On ‎2017‎年‎9‎月‎6‎日 at 5:53 AM, Ronaldoescobar said:

Despite not liking them, I think the Oil will be fine. Theyll find a good partner for RNH (no they are not going to take Sutter for him) and things will work out ok. 

Not so much.

**EDIT** Tried to join these quotes with the following post(next page)..wound up looking lika' frog inna' blender.

Archived