The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Bettman and Nenshi give Flames owners good reason to sell the team

Mackcanuck

22 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That's what they said in Quebec I am sure.

The league can't allow this to happen... Tickets in Calgary will always generate more revenue than tickets in Houston. 

The year Willie d and our boys took them on, they're playoff tickets were priced through the roof and all sold out. 

You can't not have an NHL team in Calgary. 

It's too important to the city, the province and our glorious country. 

Look.

Billionaire owners that need tax payer welfare to continue their little sports teams existence shouldn't be involved in business period.  If you cannot afford your private enterprise don't ask for hand outs.

Want Nenshi to pay for it?  Sure, the taxpayers should own a 25% stake in the Flames organization.  How would Bettman enjoy having a city own one of his franchises I wonder?

Bottom line, no corporate welfare.  If your net worth is in excess of $2 billion you can pay for it yourself

A public bond offering would be a better idea IMO.  

Have the Flames offer like 250,000 x $1000 bonds paying like 1-2% or something, non-coupon, non-redeemable, maturing in like 25 years.  Backed in good faith by the City of Calgary or something.

You'd have tons of people lining up for it.  Shares of the Green Bay Packers are extremely popular, so similar interest will probably be there.  Rabid fans would pay to get a stakeholders interest in the Flames, the city could probably sink some money in, as well as any investor big or small.  

In return, the Flames get a big chunk of money at a very good rate to put towards a new stadium.  Great PR and stuff too.

Every soap opera needs a villain....who would we hate and make fun of if the Lames moved? They need to stay put so our upcoming core can use them like a doormat just like the Canucks did in the old nw division days!

Stefano-Dimera-620x400.jpg

Seeing $240 million spent on a downtown library and exorbitant amounts spent on controversial roadside art isn’t helping the mayor, who only got 51 per cent of the vote in October.

This is the part that pissed me off the most, sorry spending money on a library comes before the owners getting a shiny new stadium paid for mostly by taxpayers, i hate the flames but the fans dont deserve to be dicked around like this. Definitely looks like this article was boight and paid for by the nhl

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Look.

Billionaire owners that need tax payer welfare to continue their little sports teams existence shouldn't be involved in business period.  If you cannot afford your private enterprise don't ask for hand outs.

Want Nenshi to pay for it?  Sure, the taxpayers should own a 25% stake in the Flames organization.  How would Bettman enjoy having a city own one of his franchises I wonder?

Bottom line, no corporate welfare.  If your net worth is in excess of $2 billion you can pay for it yourself

But these owners need the money Hippy! they need to buy houses like Katz did!

http://www.tmz.com/2017/12/03/edmonton-oilers-owner-daryl-katz-buys-most-expensive-house-la-history/

well it has become a bit of a canadian tradition

that government does not pay for sports teams arenas/stadiums ... or whatever they need to operate

it can make concessions on taxes, zoning, and other items that do not result in dipping into the public purse

i prefer to see this tradition continue

let's fund schools, libraries, other ventures that are not for profit and for the greater public good

if you cannot operate a stand alone sports enterprise and be self funding then i guess you do not want to operate in canada

5 hours ago, apollo said:

The league can't allow this to happen... Tickets in Calgary will always generate more revenue than tickets in Houston. 

The year Willie d and our boys took them on, they're playoff tickets were priced through the roof and all sold out. 

You can't not have an NHL team in Calgary. 

It's too important to the city, the province and our glorious country. 

I would not be shocked at all to be honest.   Business case for Canadian dollar teams is a tough one and valuations of said teams (Forbes for example) confirms this.   I am not sure the owners (who vote on such) are as beholden to hockey tradition as you seem to be.

1 hour ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

This is the part that pissed me off the most, sorry spending money on a library comes before the owners getting a shiny new stadium paid for mostly by taxpayers, i hate the flames but the fans dont deserve to be dicked around like this. Definitely looks like this article was boight and paid for by the nhl

Not really, library's don't generate community dollars.  Just walk down 17th ave after a flames games.  Flames leaving the city would most affect calgary business.   And anyone in calgary knows how worth our new 5 rocks on metal beams art was.  http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/new-500000-public-art-installed-along-the-trans-canada-highway, or what about are big blue circle that cost another 500k that even Neshi said looks terrible. http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/calgary-mayor-hates-awful-new-public-art-installation-a-large-blue-circle-that-cost-the-city-471000

Owners aren't/haven't been asking for a handout, they are asking the money to come from the CRL, a city fund designed for exactly what a new rink would, community development. That money exists and has been collected already, it's going to be spent somewhere to help growth in the city, a new hockey rink, that helps support local businesses would sure make sense.

Murray edwards has done nothing but support this city and has been a key member of the cities growth to what it is today. Everyone simply wants to hate the guy just because he's wealthy (which obviously means he's bad right?) but the way neshi is handling this is a slap in the face to him. I wouldn't be surprised if at the end of the day he does say screw it and sells.  Then watch the city of calgary and it's business hurt because of it.  

Archived