The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, xereau said:

The tale of two teams.  We need this team more.  And we need Biega to play fulltime.  Energy from the blueline?!?  YES PLEASE.

Biega brings his PH.D. to the rink EVERY night he gets a chance to slot in the lineup= Pride, Hustle and Desire. Hopefully it's contagious. If he is ever X-rayed I'm sure you'd see a stick in rink logo on his heart.

San Jose with the literal meaning of a loser point. No business picking up a point in that game.

One way to avoid giving up an early goal is to get the first 10 shots.   Well done.

A number of really annoying things - one, playing 'chelsea dagger' in our own building - disgusting - no concept.

Second - Kozari - awful as usual.

Third - the whistle-hugging of the Sharks.

Deserved a far more decisive result but we'll have to settle for the OT win.   SJ scores the tying goal when they should have been attempting to kill a penalty - #'game management.'

Biega was outstanding tonight.   The whole team really looked like they weren't missing anyone - in part because Bulldog was unreal in replacing Tanev - but all the forward lines were holding their own as well -  the Sedins - Goldobin Granlund Dowd, as well as the Boeser, Loui, Gagner lines - all really good tonight.

great game.

a loss would have kinda sucked... but regardless of the result it was refreshing to see the compete level despite the seriously depleted lineup.

props to everyone who predicted the win and believed the boys would have a big bounce back game... you know who you are! :towel:

2 hours ago, nucksnavsfan said:

Cause he plays on the west coast ... specifically Vancouver 

This. 

Also I think age plays a factor in this.  This is his draft +3 season vs Matthews and Laine who scored at this pace in their draft +1 season. 

Not taking anything away from Brock he's exceeded all our expectations.

Sedins proved me wrong this game. With a healthy team (Bo, Sutter, Sven) and the Sedins as secondary scorers, we will have had a chance at the playoffs.

With Sutter and now Bo out, I'm not optimistic. I think our faceoff percentages have been around 42% with both pivots out too.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Biega lead the team with a 59,46 corsi,

with 25% offensive zone starts.

What a game he had. 

5 hits, blocked shot.

A monster last night... Talk about lewading from the front.

Biega may not be the biggest or best hockey player to ever lace them, but he sure a hell brings, whatever he has every game. 

2 hours ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

Looks like quite a game to have missed unfortunately :( Any update on how the other young guns played? Jake & Goldy?

Was at the game and watched Virt close. Honestly , other then one good burst to the net , he was coasting allot. Noticed his body language wasnt good either. Slamed his stick on the bench a couple times. 

Goldy looked good , but sorta looked like he was over thinking and over playing the pick at times. 

Boeser was seriously good in all areas. Never panic s. Was crazy impressed with his entire game. 

The three guys that stood out like a sore thumb (in a good way), was the twins and Biega. Twins looked like they were in their 20's again , and Biega ....he was just a monster. Smart puck play , and played like a freight train. His best game as a canuck by far imo. 

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

Not gonna lie, Rogers Arena was rocking tonight! What a game. Sedins turning the clock back tonight.. they looked great in overtime!

and Boeser.. what a beauty. Thanks for winning on my birthday boys!

Happy birthday Bro :)

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

People have been crying for the Sedins to put the team on their back and win us a game from time to time, they certainly did that tonight.

If they can continue to produce at respectable levels I'll be surprised if they're not back next year on a cheaper one year deal.

Even if they don't look like they did tonight, they will have a place on the team next year for about 3-4 million.  

The boost in confidence that our young guys get when they're put on their line is just priceless and both of the Sedins are the ultimate professionals.  Once all our young guys are set straight on the right path in the NHL, we'll be perennial contenders again in a couple of years.  

4 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Woohooooo

Twins still have it! 

And probably Edlers best game of the year.

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

Biega was a beast on the backend tonight. By far the best 7th defenseman in the entire league. Such a bulldog

3 hours ago, Darius71 said:

Lots of heart and effort tonight.    Nice seeing a D man out there that could make hits and separate players from the puck .  More Biega please!

Brock - no need to say more.

The first 10 minutes of the game was probably the best 10 minutes the Canucks have played all year. San Jose came back after that but the Canucks continued to play well for the entire game.

As the above quotes indicate, the Sedins were excellent -- just like 2011. They were unlucky to be held to only three points each. The could each have potted a goal or two as well. It is amazing how their quality of play can vary from game to game.  As for Edler, he has had some other very good games this season, but he was very good in this game. Boeser continues to play remarkably well. He also could easily have had more than a single goal tonight. In fact, he made good plays on both the other regulation goals as well. Has to be the front runner for the Calder at this stage.

And Biega was a big story. Can't ask for more effort. This seems like a good time to repeat something many people (including me) have suggested numerous times. When we have enough healthy D's, why not play Biega on the 4th line. His energy alone would be a big plus.

But, in the interest of being objective, there were some negatives. Virtanen did not have a good night. He was not credited with any hits and I saw several times when he did not seem to be skating hard. He made a couple of nice rushes, but only one turned into a shot on goal. Not surprisingly, his minutes were on the low side tonight.  I also continue to be underwhelmed by Dowd and Burmistrov. Gaunce played well defensively again, but how long will be it before he gets on the scoreboard.

What I find a bit surprising is Stecher's low minutes (13:53) -- lowest on the D. Green does not seem to be a big Stecher fan. Stecher looked okay to me, but I guess he is not playing with as much confidence as we might like.

I think that, in general, the team put in a big effort tonight. It might be hard to sustain so we should take as much enjoyment as possible from this game.

Archived