The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL expansion rules spoil new markets

Slegr

Well, I guess first of all..............there are 29 other teams fan bases that feel the same way

I guess the other thing is, you will be ok! This is just a minor life disappointment!

Think of it this way...........every morning Donald Trump wakes up and thinks he is smart.........

Think of the disappointment his wife has............no seriously, think about it

Every night she goes to bed, with someone as old as her Grampa...maybe Dad

Now think about this.........you could be her or a Canuck fan mad about a Vegas being in first place

I know which one I would be more upset at

Don't you feel better now?

3 hours ago, CupIsComing said:

How can this be fair?

I have followed the Canucks since the mid-seventies. Lots of bad...not so much good. Still cheering and hoping that they bring the ultimate prize home to BC. It galls me that Vegas is doing so well.

Knights...31st league team in their first year lead the league AND have more high draft picks than can be reasonably wished for by any team. They are better than the Canucks now and set up to be better in the future. 

WTF?

Do you think the expansion draft rules were fair to struggling-to-build teams like the Canuck's? I mean, what does it say about the league when a first year expansion team is better now and will likely be better in the foreseeable future than a team that has finished bottom three in the league for three years and has owners that want to win and perennially spend to the cap?

To me it means that the expansion draft rules were unfair to existing rebuilding team's fans like the Canucks.

Question is...what do you think? Does Vegas' success mean the NHL got it wrong (in terms of fairness to existing teams)?

P.S. Apologies up front if this is locked because it is deemed a rant. Admittedly. ..it is partly that ...but i just got to ask...am I out-of-line here?

I have been thinking about this for a while now.  If I was any other GM in the league I'd be pissed. Vegas was gifted a good team.  Kudos to their management for taking advantage of the situation. But it's got to be frustrating that Vegas did not have to build a good team in the traditional sense. How many other GMs were able to draft their rosters based on decent established players? Wouldn't surprise me if Vegas is black listed by other GMs for a while lol. 

I just don't see how they were "gifted" a good team. Not one person on the &^@#ing planet could have predicted what they're doing right now. If you need to be pissed at anyone look at the gms that misjudged their talent and gave them a good player.

We complain that we lost sbisato them but guess what... most members of cdc hated him.

I'm glad this team of misfit nhlersis sticking it back in everyone's face. 

As a long suffering Canuck fan, I won't lie that it stings a bit to see Vegas doing so well right away but I'm not sure the expansion draft was unfair. There were some very good players available but you have to give their management and coaching credit. I don't recall anyone looking at their lineup before the season started and talking about how good they were going to be. 

There are always concessions to be made when a new team comes in. It's tough because you don't want them to be terrible but you don't want to gift them a contender. I think they were given the chance to be competitive (which I would want a team to be in a new market) but from there, they made some shrewd moves and leveraged their position to acquire both players and draft picks. I wish them well. I think their success is good for the league.

As for the OP, I can't argue with the statement that the Knights are much better than the Canucks now. As for the foreseeable future, I'm not ready to concede that yet.

I consider them the Ottawa of this year. New coach, new system, not the greatest roster on paper but they have just caught fire in a bottle and run with it. When your calling up WHL goalies and still winning on your 5th goaltender, something weird is happening. Let's see how they perform in season 2/3 once teams get a read on them. I think their fall will be a bit more like the senators.

I was on the same side of the coin, eff the NHL, screw Bettman, etc. I’ve had time to mull this over. 

What would really suck is introducing a team in a city where Hockey wasn’t really a thing and having it fail, for one. So the rules were in their favor, but Vegas had every chance to screw it up. Kudos to their ownership for getting the right GM and the GM for getting the best coaching staff. 

Their GM made some awesome moves, taking advantage of the rules and getting some great picks and players on the way. Any GM could’ve totally messed it up. They got it right.

If the shoe were on the other foot And I was a VGK fan, I’d be excited and ecstatic that we have good management up and down the chain. 

That team epitomizes everything that is wrong with the NHL.  And if you want to blame someone blame the owners that allowed someone to buy a playoff calibre team.  No doubt Seattle will get the same advantage and this time the Canucks will probably lose a good player a well.  And how long until they're due for another lockout?

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Their prospects pool isn't all that great.   

They have had 1 draft.  

This year, they have a team full of workhorses.  No real superstars. 

They are better than us right now, yeah, but who isn't. 

They will level out, and as our prospects age, so will we.  

GM Poile just last week - he was looking at their prospects and thinks that by the 2018 draft Vegas might have one of the top-5 depth chart and best prospects.  He was pointing out that they still had a lot of unused picks.  

He was also explaining that this is the 1st time that expansion happened in the salary cap era and that a lot of teams took the expansion as also an opportunity to change their own cap situation/salary structure. 

E.g. Pittsburgh not being able to keep Fleury, a no 1, and giving up a pick.  Florida running into financial problems and giving up Marchessault so that they take Smith - these two players are now two/thirds of Vegas' top line.  The list does go on of GMs compensating Vegas for taking certain players off their books or not taking others.  

Poile thinks they are legit and not going anywhere.  McPhee and Gallant did a very good job in assembling their team to their vision.  

They still had to select players and get them to play but they had a profile of players - hard working two-way players with a lot of speed.  There is also competition - each guy pushing the other for ice time and opportunities.  Sbisa also thinks that it's because they bonded so well.  He says no cliques, no guys who had played together for ages so everyone made the effort to know each other.

OP,

What the GK lack is prospect pool depth. Yes they added a boatload of picks, but they will take 5 years to see much from that pool except for Glass.

Early success has helped boost the franchise, but other expansion teams have had early success only to see a lag later when the aging roster declines. 

Florida made it to the cup final early and had never matched that season. 

If anything, the early success will hurt them in the future unless they have genius scouting. 

Going to be hard for them to get top prospects to build on for some time. 

Em

Vegas is going to crash and burn in the playoffs and next season.

Expansion draft aside they are a total fluke story. Everyone on that team is having a career year, who the hell was Marchessault, and Karlsson a year ago?? Fringe 2nd liners??

On paper their best player was James Neal at the beginning of the season. I'm actually happy for them, they are a great story.

The canucks on the other hand have problems much deeper than this season, which has nothing to do with Vegas' success and being fair.  Our cap crunch, immovable contracts and ntc's and the looming Luongo early retirement penalty. All of the above was not even from Benning but from Gillis.

The Canucks were set up to fail, thankfully the future finally looks bright.

7 hours ago, CupIsComing said:

Putting current prospects aside...doesn't that alone mean Canucks got the expansion shaft?

well... back in 1970 Toronto didn't even want us to have a team and its rumoured that they blocked us in the 1st attempt before that too, so I guess I feel like its great we even have a team.

For me its more about supporting my home team, yah sometimes it does feel like and sometimes we actually do get shafted, but in the end I don't care if another team wins the cup I'll still sleep like a baby. But if the Canucks win I might be drunk for a week and enjoy the win for years. 

I understand your frustration but I have come to terms with the fact that NHL is not a fairly run league.

Having said that, I don't know if VGK being better than us for a foreseeable future is a sure thing. Sustainable success in the NHL is a very hard thing to attain. I mean as a Canucks fan, we know how hard it is. It seemed like we were on the right track in the early 90's leading to the cup final appearance in 94 but we didn't really have consistent success after the 94 cup run as we all expected. I remember the headlines in 97 saying something along the lines of "Messier to help bring cup to Vancouver team that is only 3 years removed from SCF game 7" (lol). It was only during WCE era, followed by Sedins+Luongo era that we tasted what it is like to have sustained success. 

Sure the VGK have accumulated horde of shiny prospects through trade and dealing (3 first rounders, 2 second rounders, and basically 2 picks in about half of the remaining rounds), and it does seem unfair. But considering that they have just started building their prospect pipeline, it makes sense to reward them with some high-end prospects. In comparison, the Canucks have started retooling/rebuilding since 2013 to stock up on 7 first round picks from 2013 to 2017 (I say 2013, because that's the first time when we picked a player within top 10 since the Sedins  -- not counting Cody Hodgson who was 10th overall). In comparison, VGK only has 3. So if we drafted well, which I think we did more or less, we should be better in the future.

I honestly think that the NHL came up with the expansion rules to help VGK build a middle of the pack team or at least not lose every game 5-0; I don't think even they foresaw this much success. But it turned out that they hired a good coach, who is getting the most out of the "outcasts" from other teams. And their GM made good deals. I guess some of those good deals were results of others teams making poor decisions in terms of protecting players (e.g., Ducks needing to protect Bieksa and had to give up a better player). 

We have a good pipeline of prospects coming and in a year or two, the young players will completely take over from the Sedins. By then, we will be very good. I'm sure of that. And with the experience of having a sustained success passed down from the Sedins and company to the current young core players, I think we will have a competitive team for the next decade.

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Their prospects pool isn't all that great.   

They have had 1 draft.  

This year, they have a team full of workhorses.  No real superstars. 

They are better than us right now, yeah, but who isn't. 

They will level out, and as our prospects age, so will we.  

If they lose Neal to free agency it will have a huge impact on them next season. Gallant is also a great coach and this year they've got the whole under dog motivation thing going too. 

Archived