The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What if the unthinkable actually occurs ...

Just pondering the actual chances of Vegas winning the Cup, or at least making it to the finals like the Panthers in 95/96 early in their existence.  If they actually went to the Finals or even won it all, what do you think other teams would do in response?  Would all the GMs and owners see it as a one-off, Bettman paying homage to Mammon in the name of justifying his US expansion dreams (see here, guys, look how good the desert can be as hockey country, I was right all along, the Coyotes notwithstanding!), and not bother to do anything different?  Or, is it possible that this kind of a playoff run could lead the NHL into some kind of hockey end of days, where a lack of style leads to wins (because, watching the team play 10 times via satellite this year, the only amazing thing you see on a regular basis is their Gila mascot, Chance, and what he gets up to; it is usually a pretty boring style of play for the most part, with set pressure plays to turn the puck over, and then some puck-luck to go with it), and in response everyone jettisons players left and right to try to emulate this winning formula.  Or, something in-between?  Curious what everyone thinks ....      

I'm still appalled that Vegas gets a sweetheart deal from expansion, I'm even more shocked that the NHL says that if Seattle gets a team they will get the same expansion style draft.

If I'm any team in the NHL from Vancouver and Buffalo until the last expansion I'd be choked. Look at the Capitals setting for records for the most loses (8-67-5) 21 points. 

This BS of "well they paid more", that is crap. Houston Texans paid $700 million in 1999 and they didn't get any preferential treatment on an expansion draft in the NFL. 

This is just more evidence what a joke the league head office is. 

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm still appalled that Vegas gets a sweetheart deal from expansion, I'm even more shocked that the NHL says that if Seattle gets a team they will get the same expansion style draft.

If I'm any team in the NHL from Vancouver and Buffalo until the last expansion I'd be choked. Look at the Capitals setting for records for the most loses (8-67-5) 21 points. 

This BS of "well they paid more", that is crap. Houston Texans paid $700 million in 1999 and they didn't get any preferential treatment on an expansion draft in the NFL. 

I agree wholeheartedly, but I really think that Vegas might win it if the fix is in, and Bush League Bettman wants to justify his desert expansion and he thinks Vegas winning would mean increased tv revenues it won't not enough Canadians there full-time to help support a team; once the shiny-new-thing- syndrome wears off, the team will be in the same hole as Arizona).  I just hope that he throws a few crumbs our way via the draft ...  

Vegas is stacked. They're going to find success but the pendulum will swing the other way when it comes time to settle contracts with such a winning record. Boys are going to want to get paid. Hope JB gets a rapport with their management.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Times are different and not comparable at all to earlier expansions. Teams' worst players were a lot worse than today's teams' worst players.

I don't think what happened in Vegas is going to be the rule.  Any hockey experts says that these results are an amazing surprise.  Everyone thought Vegas would maybe be challenging for a playoff spot at best.  Personally, I think this is the exception. 

Vegas also came in the west at the best possible time ever.  There is a changing of the guard...LA, San Jose, Minnesota and Anaheim are getting older and slowing down, not as dominant as they have been in the past.  Chicago, St-Louis, Edmonton, Calgary and Dallas have regressed.  The only team that really emerged was the Jets, with Colorado also taking advantage of the weakest Western Conference I've seen in years.

Also, the playoff will be a totally different game, and with many Vegas player with not many playoff experience, I really don't think they will make it far.  Especially, if they get a team like the Kings in the first round.  They have good depth, good chemistry and I think the fed off the excitement of the new franchise, but they lack that Elite Talent at both forward and defense, therefore, in the playoff when the goals are harder to get, I'm not sure they will be able to sustain this production.  

Again, I was wrong when I thought they would still be bottom feeders, despite getting a favorable draft... but they are the 2nd highest scoring team in the league, without a Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, McDavid, Laine, I mean at one point, something's got to give.

2 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Times are different and not comparable at all to earlier expansions. Teams' worst players were a lot worse than today's teams' worst players.

Agree, and the cap era, makes team much more even.   The early expansion's team payroll must have been 2/3/4 times less than the highest payroll of the league.

Pre-cap payroll had a standard deviation between 11 and 16 millions, while now it is down to 5-7M$.

I would be cool with it.

To be honest, I don't see them getting past Nashville. Nashville is built like Vegas in that they are deep all over the roster but with the difference being that they have a legitimate top 2 defencemen in Josi and Subban. They have two, not just one... 

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I agree that every other previous expansion team got screwed in hindsight as soon as the 'Vegas Rules' of expansion were established - but let's not forget who ultimately approved every single one of the new expansion rules - the NHL BOG.   Also known as the owners of the said teams who were previously screwed over by the new rules.   Yes many teams have changed ownership several times over but they're still the same teams with the same fan-bases. 

We all know exactly why the owners  (not their lacky Bettman) approved the Vegas rules - to establish a successful base-line for a new era in NHL expansion which may or may not include a global aspect.   

I fully believe that if the owners had to literally 'gift' Vegas a cup in their first year  (or first 5 years or w/e it ends up being) , in their minds it's a very small price to pay in exchange for the possibility of billions of dollars of new expansion teams being added in the next couple decades. 

It's a business,  not a sport.   It stopped being a true sport decades ago........ 

32 minutes ago, PlanB said:

I agree that every other previous expansion team got screwed in hindsight as soon as the 'Vegas Rules' of expansion were established - but let's not forget who ultimately approved every single one of the new expansion rules - the NHL BOG.   Also known as the owners of the said teams who were previously screwed over by the new rules.   Yes many teams have changed ownership several times over but they're still the same teams with the same fan-bases. 

We all know exactly why the owners  (not their lacky Bettman) approved the Vegas rules - to establish a successful base-line for a new era in NHL expansion which may or may not include a global aspect.   

I fully believe that if the owners had to literally 'gift' Vegas a cup in their first year  (or first 5 years or w/e it ends up being) , in their minds it's a very small price to pay in exchange for the possibility of billions of dollars of new expansion teams being added in the next couple decades. 

It's a business,  not a sport.   It stopped being a true sport decades ago........ 

You nailed it - all of it. 

Archived