The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Tyler Bozak

On 5/7/2018 at 11:34 AM, wallstreetamigo said:

I am hoping beyond hope that we stay away from Bozak as a free agent. Unless it's a 1 year deal (which he wont take especially not coming out of hypeville aka Toronto), he is not what we need. 

If you want to maximize assets, take Spezza from Dallas with another asset/high pick added. It's an expiring contract that doesnt hurt us at all going forward like a Bozak contract on term alone certainly will.

Be smart Benning. This kind of cap space and opportunity doesnt come around often. With several teams likely to want to trip over each other to sign Tavares and/or Carlson, Jimbo should be aggressively offering to take back short term cap dumps from these teams to accumulate other assets. If he can add in a garbage contract like Gagner all the better.

If Benning plays his cards right, we could add some veteran leadership AND add a few high end prospects and/or picks. This is how you take advantage to rebuild quickly.

Making the move with Spezz makes a ton of sense, but unfortunately for us Jim Montgomery is excited to work with him and has plans as a 3/2C.  I was at the Stars facility yesterday and their trainer spoke of how much they like JS in the locker room and his influence on younger players. They like Hamhuis too, but it sounds like he is going to look for one last contract before he calls it quits. They have a lot of potential UFAs to sign so it will be interesting. Especially since they are putting a full court press on Kovy to sign there. That would almost all but certainly signal the departure of JS or another highly paid player.   

Bozak is not anything we need especially if it requires term and a big cap hit. 

Its not a coincidence that teams that sign these UFA guys for big money and term are looking to offload them 1 or 2 years in. Lucic, Backes, etc. They arent worth the contracts they get.

Benning should be trading for some of these guys with one or two years left with cap retention to squeeze out more picks or prospects.

UFA time is when the biggest mistakes are made. 

24 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Bozak is not anything we need especially if it requires term and a big cap hit. 

Its not a coincidence that teams that sign these UFA guys for big money and term are looking to offload them 1 or 2 years in. Lucic, Backes, etc. They arent worth the contracts they get.

Benning should be trading for some of these guys with one or two years left with cap retention to squeeze out more picks or prospects.

UFA time is when the biggest mistakes are made. 

So true, the cap goes up and contracts still look terrible all the time. 

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Before I thought no way but with the Sutter rumours I’d rather gain picks by trading Sutter and signing Bozak.

I agree. I was originally no. But we could use another reliable centre. If we sign Bozak trade Gags for whatever. 

3 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Dont want Tyler Bozo on the team. He would just be another Sam Gagner type sigining. 

I don’t think we should sign Bozo either.  I do think he’s a much better center (at least third line) than Gagner.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think we should sign Bozo either.  I do think he’s a much better center (at least third line) than Gagner.  

Whats your take on Riley Nash? I think he would come in cheaper and he did put up good numbers last season. I think hes more suited for 3rd line but with good wingers i think he could put up solid points as 2c.

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

The support for signing Bozak is... Lol

Slight at best

78% saying no

What a crap poll. You can't just say yes or no. There's so many variables. What's the term? What's the dollar amount? What else is available to us? What role do they see him playing? Is he bumping one of the kids down to Utica? If so, who? 

IMO, Bozak on a 2 year deal would be a good signing. Even if we over pay a bit to keep the term down. I'd obviously be interested in signing Tavares but other than him I hope we stay far, far away from long term UFA signing and/or long term acquisitions of players in their late 20s or older. 

34 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

What a crap poll. You can't just say yes or no. There's so many variables. What's the term? What's the dollar amount? What else is available to us? What role do they see him playing? Is he bumping one of the kids down to Utica? If so, who? 

IMO, Bozak on a 2 year deal would be a good signing. Even if we over pay a bit to keep the term down. I'd obviously be interested in signing Tavares but other than him I hope we stay far, far away from long term UFA signing and/or long term acquisitions of players in their late 20s or older. 

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Before I thought no way but with the Sutter rumours I’d rather gain picks by trading Sutter and signing Bozak.

Sutter's pretty awesome and I'd probably just keep him but yeah if you can get a solid return for him and sign a Bozak (appropriately short term) or a Riley Nash etc and then maybe add a Beagle or a Richardson on the 4th line... why not.

5 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Whats your take on Riley Nash? I think he would come in cheaper and he did put up good numbers last season. I think hes more suited for 3rd line but with good wingers i think he could put up solid points as 2c.

Yeah, he's clearly not a 2C on a contender but our little-rebuild-that-could, could have him and Sutter split nebulous 'middle 6 C duty' until more kids arrive.

Something like:

Leipsic, Horvat, Boeser

Baer/Goldobin, Nash, Pettersson

Roussel, Sutter, Granlund/Eriksson

Eriksson, Gaudette (or Beagle/Richardson), Virtanen

(Wingers could move all over the place)

7 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

What rumours ? Media rumours ? CDC rumours ?

Perhaps I'm having a blonde moment, but I don't recall any rumours. Lots of blog type speculation from the 'trade anyone over 25' folk, but nothing via the hockey media.

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

No rumors. Benning alegedly received calls on Sutter before the trade deadline. JB has shown no intentions of trading him, nor should he withour lack of C depth. 

yes.......I wasn't sure how that had any bearing on the Bozak thread.  The team needs a #2 offensive cman, Bozak would probably be a good fit and lets AG settle in down in Utica in an offensive role.

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

yes.......I wasn't sure how that had any bearing on the Bozak thread.  The team needs a #2 offensive cman, Bozak would probably be a good fit and lets AG settle in down in Utica in an offensive role.

Yup, as long as the term's reasonable.

Archived