[Rumor] Canucks interested in Tyler Bozak

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Granlund Bozak Pettersson

Eriksson Sutter Virtanen

Reaves Beagle Gaudette

Leipsic/Goldobin

Not bad.

I'd still like to see us get a left winger though.

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I dunno that is pretty bad. I mean it is expected given where we are in our rebuild but still bad.

Teams are going to key in on Horvat and Boeser because there will be minimal scoring threat from any of the other lines. I think we are in the basement this year but that's ok.

Leipsic/Granlund/Eriksson, Horvat, Boeser

Baer/Goldobin, ____*, Pettersson (sheltered ozone line)

Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson/Granlund/Virtanen

____, Beagle (or similar), ____

4th line W's and 13th can be a duke out amongst those remaining (Gaunce, Gaudette, Gagner and whoever didn't make it on the top 3 lines).

*2C could be Bozak (doubtful we get him for the short term we'd want, a guy like Riley Nash, perhaps a cap dump like Anisimov etc.

3 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

4th line is exactly where Gaudette will get to develop!! The key is to fit him into our starting line-up regardless of line# or minutes!!

I disagree with that unless the plan is to have him as roll player and not as a core player which I feel he is capable of, development is much better when a player is confident and confidence normally doesn’t come sitting on the pine 

39 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

If we're looking at ex-Leafs, I'd be much more interested in Leo Komarov over Bozak.

That's interesting - if you're suggesting to utilize Komarov as a center.

Didn't realize he's that strong in the faceoff circle - only 212 draws last year, but 52.8%.

Far more physical than Bozak.  Probably as good a 'possession' player.

Maybe a better option in all senses - more likely to be signed at reasonable term and cap - brings more punch to the lineup, and fits in a depth role better whereas Bozak is a bit of a forced fit where his demands may not line up with our view of the limits of his role.

I think some people poopoo the idea of signing Bozak, assuming he's going to play a 2C role here.

I don't think so - at least not from an ice-time or importance to the team standpoint.

That would be Horvat and Sutter - who would imo play more minutes than Bozak.

So as essentially a 3C, but playing with younger forwards as a '2C' placeholder, Bozak might make some sense, but imo unlikely that the terms would make sense if he's looking for the highest bidder in free agency.  Interest in being a short term placeholder?  Not sure he'll have to settle for that.

Komarov could make a good depth center option if guys like Beagle are not a possibility.  He'd be versatile enough to move to C or wing and could be a good complement to a young winger/s and could move to wing if/when a guy like Gaudette is ready.

36 minutes ago, oldnews said:

That's interesting - if you're suggesting to utilize Komarov as a center.

Didn't realize he's that strong in the faceoff circle - only 212 draws last year, but 52.8%.

Far more physical than Bozak.  Probably as good a 'possession' player.

Maybe a better option in all senses - more likely to be signed at reasonable term and cap - brings more punch to the lineup, and fits in a depth role better whereas Bozak is a bit of a forced fit where his demands may not line up with our view of the limits of his role.

I think some people poopoo the idea of signing Bozak, assuming he's going to play a 2C role here.

I don't think so - at least not from an ice-time or importance to the team standpoint.

That would be Horvat and Sutter - who would imo play more minutes than Bozak.

So as essentially a 3C, but playing with younger forwards as a '2C' placeholder, Bozak might make some sense, but imo unlikely that the terms would make sense if he's looking for the highest bidder in free agency.  Interest in being a short term placeholder?  Not sure he'll have to settle for that.

Komarov could make a good depth center option if guys like Beagle are not a possibility.  He'd be versatile enough to move to C or wing and could be a good complement to a young winger/s and could move to wing if/when a guy like Gaudette is ready.

That poster said nothing about Komarov as a center. Why did you assume that and then write a long post about it? 

They said of ex leaf players they simply prefer Komarov as a Canuck signing. 

I’d prefer signing a guy like Riley nash over bozak. He can play center or wing is responsible defensively and will come a hell of a lot cheaper than bozak. It’s really important that jb stay flexible with contracts these next few years until we see what we have with the young guys. The last thing you want is another eriksson type signing and be stuck with a player taking up a spot just because he’s getting paid so much.

17 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Would this mean gaudette is in the A this year, don’t wanna see him get buried on the 4th line 

Highly highly unlikely.  Signing a center enables us to shelter Gaudette on the wing to begin with.  He showed both in his first year in college where he caught fire in the new year and even in his short stint here that he's a pretty quick adapter, so I expect he will see time at C even this season ahead.  Thus, no more than a 2-3 year deal please.

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Pretty much expected.  Bozak has had decent productive seasons and the UFA crop of Cs this year is thin.  He was a college target that the Canucks were in on almost 10-years ago (hard to believe it was that long ago...) and he's already 32 so he'll want $ in the remaining window of his career.

It's good if the Canucks feel that the salary he'll command is too right for their blood.  Bozak makes sense for the Canucks up to a point.

Curious if management is kicking the tires of Filppula.  He's 34, is a Stanley Cup winner (and also part of TB's 2015 run to the Finals) and might just be looking to stick in the NHL.  Might be a decent mentor for the next 1-2 seasons and is a veteran C.  $ and term that he might command should be much less than Bozak.

5.5M over 2 years would be the most I would pay.  If he wants 3 years I'm cutting him off at 5M.  Our main ELC window lines up with 3 years from now.

Pettersson, Juolevi, Gadjovich, possibly Hughes.  There are 3 potentially high $$ contracts.  Any ask over 3 years I'd drop offer to 4M flat which he won't do. LoL

18 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Canucks Army did a great piece on some alternative options we may not have considered. Highly recommend it, it's a great article.

I’d love to add Reinhart, but I’m just not confident we have the right pieces for that deal.  Canucks are poor in expendable assets that other teams cover. 

Certainly if you can get a youngish top 6 C for Tanev, it’s be worth investigating, but as someone else mentioned, were not trying to reproduce the Sedins offence, but rather their goal differential.   Therefore preventing goals is equally as beneficial as scoring them.   

Best option is to to hold onto our tradable assets and signe a stingy defensive center to a short term deal.   Let Gagner, Granlund, Gaudette, and Pettersson rotate in and out at C.  

Archived