The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just to update the scoring stats:

Hughes now has 13 points (3G 10A) in 11 games.

He’s one point behind Makar (who had that hot start but has cooled off since) and three points off the outright NCAA defenceman scoring lead (with a game in hand on the leader).

EDIT: I think Hughes will continue to climb the leaderboard, but I don’t think he can catch Adam Fox the way he’s playing for Harvard (15 points in only 7 games so far). However, it’s also a heck of a lot easier for Fox to put up points as an elite player in the ECAC than it is for Hughes to dominate the Big Ten (which is a far more competitive conference).

I agree with you Sid. The ECAC is not as tough of competition, I don't think Fox will be a bad defenseman at the NHL level but I don't think he'll be an elite guy like Quinn Hughes should be...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

I agree with you Sid. The ECAC is not as tough of competition, I don't think Fox will be a bad defenseman at the NHL level but I don't think he'll be an elite guy like Quinn Hughes should be...

Yeah, plus Fox is a D+3 in his junior (3rd) year and turning 21 this season. The previous two seasons (which are more comparable to Hughes, in terms of age and experience), he’s been right around a point per game, while playing in a weaker conference. Fox is a quality prospect, no doubt, but he’s a step down from Hughes. He’s also less well rounded, as Hughes’s two-way play (even though it’s still a work in progress), is already better than Fox’s IMO (and Makar’s as well).

• Upvote 2

I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate and go over something that's been on my mind since we drafted Quinn.  

Going into last year's draft, he was ranked 6th and 10th overall by a few publications that I recall. It was a stronger then average draft year, so this puts him on track to be a very good NHLer most likely.   

I see most of the forum penciling him into our lineup and treating it like it's almost a certainty that he will be with the Canucks next year.  

Looking at some of the top defencemen of the last few years that play a similar style, you see that guys like ...

Torey Krug (3 years college, 1 year AHL) 

Erik Karlsson (1 year in Sweden after draft, quarter of the next year in AHL) 

Roman Josi (2 years Europe after draft, 2 years AHL) 

Kristopher Letang (2 years of Junior after draft, part time of third year in AHL) 

Tyson Barrie (2 years of junior after draft, 2 more years of mostly AHL) 

Keith Yandle (1 year of junior after draft, 2 years of mostly AHL) 

all spent 3 or 4 years in the minor leagues before they became regular NHLers with the exception of Erik Karlsson.  

I feel that Quinn Hughes might be looking at 2020 before he's on the Canucks, or he might get the 7 game taste of the NHL next year, but not more.  

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm going to play a bit of devil's advocate and go over something that's been on my mind since we drafted Quinn.  

Going into last year's draft, he was ranked 6th and 10th overall by a few publications that I recall. It was a stronger then average draft year, so this puts him on track to be a very good NHLer most likely.   

I see most of the forum penciling him into our lineup and treating it like it's almost a certainty that he will be with the Canucks next year.  

Looking at some of the top defencemen of the last few years that play a similar style, you see that guys like ...

Kristopher Letang (2 years of Junior after draft, part time of third year in AHL) 

all spent 3 or 4 years in the minor leagues before they became regular NHLers with the exception of Erik Karlsson.  

I feel that Quinn Hughes might be looking at 2020 before he's on the Canucks, or he might get the 7 game taste of the NHL next year, but not more.  

He might, he might not. Everyone takes their own path. Players are coming into the league younger and younger. He's played against men before, NCAA is also decently good competition...he's got a great chance of stepping right in.

16 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Totally fine whether he does or doesn't play in the "A".  All that really matters is that the finished product is an elite one.  
He could always be like Gostisbehere, who played like a grand total of 20 games in the A and dominating as a point-per-game guy before staying for good.

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well written. I like Hughes as our pick but I believe you are correct in how things play out.

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think when camp roles around everyone will be hoping to see some magic with him and Pettersson

9 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

To play the devil’s advocate to the devil’s advocate, I would argue that none of those players had the same draft pedigree as Hughes when drafted aside from Karlsdon who was drafted slightly after Hughes.

I would also argue that the game has changed indiscreetly but tremendously in the past two seasons especially with 1. Much more focus on offence rather than physicality with point totals going up and save percentages going down; 2. Much more dependant on younger players on ELCs due to the salary cap. 

The end result being that young super talented players on the smaller and lighter side can step in even just one season after their draft (e.g Hischier, Keller, Mittelstadt, Marner).

I think a much more reasonable comparison would be higher end talent like Provorov or Werenski who both stepped in sooner rather than later. Werenski is the best comparable who turned pro at the end of his draft +1 season.

Lastly, to outdevil the devil, Hughes play in the World Championships last year, the majority of whom are in the upper echelon of the NHL or stud prospects (e.g Pettersson played for Sweden but a year older than Hughes) and more than held his own. 

There’s a reason why Benning was absolutely over the moon when we got him at 6 and why commentators around the league think we have a gem on defence and already our best defensive prospect, if not one of our better defence man already.

Edited by NHL'er
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Why would the play him 7 games if they’re just gunna put him in the NHL? I’m not sure I see the point in that. Kind of an arbitrary number to pick?

As for the idea that he should be in the AHL next season, it’s honestly way to early to be claiming that. Right now he’s one of the top defensemen in the NCAA. There’s no reason to think he won’t be ready next year. Other players like werenski and macavoy only needed 1 extra year of college hockey before they made the NHL. I find it interesting the only players you compared Quinn to were later picks than him and didn’t follow the same development path as him. Kinda ignored all players who made the NHL in their D+2

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

I remember when I read these posts in the Boeser thread and then the Pettersson thread. Hughes will be on the Canucks starting roster next season.

100 percent. He will get his handful of games at the end of this season ala Boeser. Then start in the NHL next season. Unless he struggles he will be on the roster from there out. He wont struggle. I think we will have another Calder candidate next year in Quinn. 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Have you seen our defense...?  Have you seen Quinn...?

Quinn would be our best offensive D. right now....next year there is no doubt in my mind that Quinn and Oli will be our most valuable D.,...at least by Xmas time...!

The Karlsson timeline is about right...

19 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Unlike most other prospects in the league, Quinn would be one of those players that we can assess with a just a few NHL games. Just like Pettersson, it would be very apparent within the first few NHL games of his career whether Quinn's skating, vision and hockey IQ would dominate NHL. If so, he would most likely stay and play with sheltered minutes. If his talent is not readily adjustable to NHL's pace and physicality, then he is a bust. Olli Juolevi is the prototypical safe pick with a higher floor. Quinn is the high risk high reward pick. 

Edited by Maddogy

15 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Have you seen our defense...?  Have you seen Quinn...?

Quinn would be our best offensive D. right now....

This.  I am not sure if Hughes will be 100% ready for the NHL or not - but you better believe that management wants to get him into the lineup as soon as possible.  We SOOOO badly need some scoring from back there.  

I just want to see Hughes and Pettersson play off each other.  I think they would be incredibly effective together.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Quinn Hughes was the consensus #4 ranked player for the 2018 NHL draft.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/nhl-entry-draft-picks-2018/2018/6/20/17481500/2018-nhl-draft-rankings-consensus-jesperi-kotkaniemi-bob-mckenzie-athletic-hockey-prospects

All of the d-men you are comparing him to, with the exception of Karlsson, were selected in the 2nd or later rounds so I don't think it was unusual for them to need further development in the AHL.

Two of the more common comparisons to Hughes on these boards have been to Housley and Brian Leetch and neither of these players saw a single day in the AHL. Housley was drafted 6th overall and Leetch was drafted 9th overall so I would see these two as better examples than some 2nd, 3rd or 4th round picks that you are comparing him to.or Torey Krug who went undrafted.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

This.  I am not sure if Hughes will be 100% ready for the NHL or not - but you better believe that management wants to get him into the lineup as soon as possible.  We SOOOO badly need some scoring from back there.  

I just want to see Hughes and Pettersson play off each other.  I think they would be incredibly effective together.

That is what I think as well...Quinn, EP, Boeser, Horvat and Dahlen on the PP ...will melt the PK into a puddle of tears...I have already started to feel sorry for the D. men with broken ankles and the goalies when they realize they don't stand a chance...!

On 18/11/2018 at 3:51 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

why 7 games?