2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

6 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

As of today, who would you guys take with the 10th pick out of:

1. Newhook

2. Soderstrom

3. Caufield 

4. Zegras 

Taking what bracket said into account. How they consider what kind of player they would be in 3-4 years. How would they fit in our system with our coaches. I think I would take Alex Newhook C/LW

Edited by kenhodgejr
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm really waning on Broberg

As much as I want to like him, Benning et co are building what appears to be a mobile but also very cerebral D core.  Smart players that can skate and while maybe not the most physical will be assured to make the smart play instead of skating the puck up the ice.

It does look like Boldy will be playing himself out of our spot.  But as someone said it is starting to look lie teams will be making interesting choices.  

IE:  Avs needing/wanting Byram to compliment Makar and Barrie but also to compliment that D core.  Kings needing scoring so possibly looking at Caufield.  Cannot see Edmonton taking Caufield as they took that tiny forward 2 drafts ago and this year showed how dearly they need more D that can do the smart thing and skate.  Rangers and Devils are assured to take who they take, Hawks almost guaranteed to take Cozens/Dach

So we've effectively got 5 teams who we know will be taking certain players.  Leaving us with that 4 slot people keep keying in too.  Brober/Soderstrom/Newhook/Seider

If it's a D choice I'd almost go Seider.  If it's a forward I am unsure but am hoping beyond hope that Boldy falls to us

So many options at this position it's crazy.  Wish we had the Sabres/Islanders luck the last few years with multiple picks really close to each other in the early to mid 1st

• Cheers 1

Here is my list of players I think could be available at number 10...in order I would take them......

Top 6

1. Kakko 1/2

2. Hughes 1/2

3. Bryam 3/4/5/6

4. Turcotte 3/4/5/6

5. Podkolzin  3/4/5/6/7

6. Cozens 3/4/5/6/7

----------------------

Top 7 - 12 

Boldy 6/7/8/9/10/11

Dach 6/7/8/9/10/11

Zegras 6/7/8/9/10/11

Krebs 8/9/10/11/12

Caulfield 8/9/10/11/12/13

Soderstrom 10/11/12

----------------------

Top 13 - 16

York 8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Newhook  10/11/12/13/14/15

Broberg 12/13/14/15/16

Kaleyev 12/13/14/15/16

----------------------

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm really waning on Broberg

As much as I want to like him, Benning et co are building what appears to be a mobile but also very cerebral D core.  Smart players that can skate and while maybe not the most physical will be assured to make the smart play instead of skating the puck up the ice.

It does look like Boldy will be playing himself out of our spot.  But as someone said it is starting to look lie teams will be making interesting choices.  

IE:  Avs needing/wanting Byram to compliment Makar and Barrie but also to compliment that D core.  Kings needing scoring so possibly looking at Caufield.  Cannot see Edmonton taking Caufield as they took that tiny forward 2 drafts ago and this year showed how dearly they need more D that can do the smart thing and skate.  Rangers and Devils are assured to take who they take, Hawks almost guaranteed to take Cozens/Dach

So we've effectively got 5 teams who we know will be taking certain players.  Leaving us with that 4 slot people keep keying in too.  Brober/Soderstrom/Newhook/Seider

If it's a D choice I'd almost go Seider.  If it's a forward I am unsure but am hoping beyond hope that Boldy falls to us

So many options at this position it's crazy.  Wish we had the Sabres/Islanders luck the last few years with multiple picks really close to each other in the early to mid 1st

Interesting comments

I love Seider's profile, haven't seen him play. Too bad he isn't playing against the top teams, it would be nice to see him along side them

I find it interesting you have Dach going early, not that he is bad, just others moving up...……..I do agree they take a center......Turcotte or Cozens IMO 

It will be interesting to see where Boldy and Caufield place...………...Caulfield is such a wildcard

You say Edmonton takes Defence.....I know they need them, but that surprised me a little...they also need wingers.....it will be interesting to see....Maybe York???

I think they will take a winger...….but who knows???

Very thought provoking

Say this u18 tournament and the CHL playoffs has an affect on the top 10. Boldy Krebs Lavoi and Caufield creep up the board.

The Canucks have a choice of Podkolzin signed KHL property publicly stated he won't be comming to NA soon, Dach skating and injury concerns, Zegras not participating in u18 or reach for Newhook, Sieder, Soderstrom

Who's your guy? 

• Upvote 1

After all of the video, highlights and games I've watched so far, this is how I now rank the Top 10. Maybe a little out there, but this is my opinion. Imagine Pettersson's elite passes to Caufield for lots and lots of goals. As for Hughes, he's definitely a real good player, but Byram is hands down the best D in the Draft, and 1st pairing Dmen are very difficult to acquire. At #11 I have York. I think he's going to be a very good mobile Dman as well. 

1. Kakko

2. Caufield

3. Byram

4. Hughes

5. Krebs

6. Podkolzin

7. Dach

8. Turcotte

9. Boldy

10. Cozens

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

Say this u18 tournament and the CHL playoffs has an affect on the top 10. Boldy Krebs Lavoi and Caufield creep up the board.

The Canucks have a choice of Podkolzin signed KHL property publicly stated he won't be comming to NA soon, Dach skating and injury concerns, Zegras not participating in u18 or reach for Newhook, Sieder, Soderstrom

Who's your guy? 

Dach for sure. Skating concerns are exaggerated IMO. I think he's actually a good skater, especially for his size. And TBH I've never thought about injury concerns with him either, he's not Nolan Patrick. (Who I really liked but did consider injuries with). He's raw but the upside is huge.

Podkolzin would be a close 2nd. His commitment to stay in Russia is a concern, but if he's clearly the best player does it make sense to pass on him b/c of that?? These other guys likely aren't making an impact for (atleast) 2 years anyways. If he stays & thrives in the KHL, he could come over in 2 years & be an impact player on arrival. 

I think Dach & Podkolzin are the best players in this group you listed. The other guys; I'd probably favour Soderstrom, although I'm not totally confident in that. I'd probably be a coin flip between Soderstrom & whoever is determined the better of Zegras & Newhook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Anybody hewer isn't sold yet on Broberg, I suggest you watch this. Huge potential

With those highlights... I'm sure Bennings eyes were glued to him watching Sweden yesterday.  Wow!  Highest ceiling for a defencemen in this draft... A bit more research but may turn out to be my first choice.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

After all of the video, highlights and games I've watched so far, this is how I now rank the Top 10. Maybe a little out there, but this is my opinion. Imagine Pettersson's elite passes to Caufield for lots and lots of goals. As for Hughes, he's definitely a real good player, but Byram is hands down the best D in the Draft, and 1st pairing Dmen are very difficult to acquire. At #11 I have York. I think he's going to be a very good mobile Dman as well. 

1. Kakko

2. Caufield

3. Byram

4. Hughes

5. Krebs

6. Podkolzin

7. Dach

8. Turcotte

9. Boldy

10. Cozens

Really high on Caufield eh? I like the boldness. As time goes on I'm becoming less sold on Hughes, but there's no question with his exceptional skating that the huge upside is there. I wouldn't pass on him at #2 myself.

This draft is really a mystery after 2 or 3. I wonder if Cozens & Turcotte could be fallers as you suggest here. But at the same time I wouldn't be surprised to see them go 3rd & 4th either. I would however, be shocked if Krebs goes 5.

One thing I've thought is, am I crazy for thinking Boldy could jump ahead of Cozens??

Positional bias favours Cozens, but with this u18 I wouldn't be surprised if teams really fall in love with Boldy & he goes a bit higher than we are expecting. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Boldy, Turcotte, Caufield are just annihilating this tournament. Hard not to see these guys go top 10, does this mean Dach and cozens fall?

in no particular order really just to show how many good players there are

1.Hughes

2.Kaako

3.Byram'

4.Dach

5.Boldy

6.Turcotte

7.Caufield

9.Cozens

10.Krebs

11.Podzolkin

12.Newhook

13.Zegras

14.York

that's a lot of good players

- man this coalfield kid is exciting, and body is a perfect winger for Pettersson

Good stuff. Just missing the Swedish D in Broberg/Soderstrom. Whoever is left at 10 is still going to be a solid pick.  I'd be over the moon with any of Turcotte/Boldy/Caufield/Krebs. Gotta go with a forward if you're hosting the draft and plan to play highlights ad nauseum.  

I see a lot of Brent Burns in Broberg. Every chance he gets he moves the puck up the ice with his beautiful skating ability. It's an element this team could definitely use for sure. I His speed and strides are impressive at 6'3 200lbs.

Out of all defenseman, he truly has the highest ceiling. And to be honest, he's the only defenseman I'd even consider drafting at 10. Otherwise, I'd rather stick with one of those forwards but if Benning thinks we need a d-man, I really hope he has his sights on Broberg. He's got elements to his game that we need. Also, I don't get the talk about his hockey sense. Scouts say his hockey sense is terrific. 

Soderstrom reminds me of Jonas Brodin. A guy that is good at everything but doesn't really have parts of his game that truly stand out. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Anybody hewer isn't sold yet on Broberg, I suggest you watch this. Huge potential

won't be surprised if he is tried at forward sometime in his career. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Who's your guy? 

Newhook in that situation. A very likely situation actually. Even with the injuries, it's hard to look past Dach/Zegras. 

14 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

If Boldy/Caufield go before us that likely means Turcotte/Zegras is there for us. 

Can't-lose scenario unless they draft a defenceman ala 2016.

Yea 10s not a bad slot to be in guaranteed a good player. 

Just hope they snag the BPA when we look back 3-5 years later cause it looks really tough to rank this crop.

yeadont know enough about the dmen and it’s so hard to judge them just from these tournaments. Broberg seems to showcase well in tournaments with same age peers, whereas heinola and soderstrom excelled this season against men in pro leagues and haven’t really showed as strong so far in this u18. Haven’t watched them enough to rank. 

But these forwards just look so great with higher probability of succefully translating to the NHL.

im hoping we take a forward at 10 and then the bpa for our second pick is a dman like woo last year that would be an ideal scenario for us I think. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, hammertime said:

Who's your guy? 

Your auto corrected saved lavoie as lavoi? 

No no way lavoie goes top 10, I’d bet on it and probably

goes 13-20 range  maybe 12 if a team is super high on him. Just canteank him over clearly better younger players imo.

well this U18s is solidifying how much I like both Krebs and Boldy 

but if Dach is there we take him without hesitation, Podkolzin at 10 sounds like a steal to me, and Zegras I’m a fan but if our guys passed on him for someone else I’d trust their judgement as they have been on point with scouting US players.

Newhook id be fine with, I see the raw potential but just depends who we’d be taking him over.

Soderstrom I’m not sold he’ll be the bpa at 10 but haven’t watched him enough.

Caufields putting on a show - he looks absolutely ridiculous right now. He’s playing with very talented players but his skill level is right there with him and wow is he a finisher. He’s going to be a wild card on draft day so curious to see where he goes and how high.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Caufield is lighting it up and will break the USA scoring record this tourney, he is playing with Hughes...both complement each other. But DAMN.......that minature size scares the CRAP out of me if we take him. Not with 10th overall. I mean Debrincat was lighting it up and he was a 2nd rounder, that is fine to take a tiny guy then. We got burned once taking a tiny guy in the 1st so that is making me nervous and to boot its a lot higher of a draft selection.

Krebs impressed me for Canada, Newhook has skill but he needs more refinement to his all around game where Krebs already has that. I think it was Button or whoever the announcer was saying Krebs reminded him of how Ryan O Reilly plays. Interesting comparison, I think we have our O Reilly in Bo already. All in all should be an interesting draft choice...

Side note, not related to this draft but a recent top pick...Makar, sure looks good on the Av's D, Button was right with that kid looks to be a gem!