The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Charges Laid In Tragic Humboldt Crash

-DLC-

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Except we don't know for a fact that's what he was doing.  I'm not saying he should get off scot-free or avoid jail time altogether, but the likelihood of him re-offending is next to zero.  If there's any hope of taking anything positive at all away from this tragedy, I'd prefer we at least consider it.

Based on ??

That doctor killed in Vancouver was hit by a repeat offender.  Nope, some people who get away with things ignore the severity of them as a result.  Just as we don't know what he was doing...we also don't know for a fact that he'd learn from his horribly tragic "mistake".  I think sending a strong message that radiates beyond just him is important.  It's not about "him"...he wiped out a bus full of people's family members and that wasn't a "woops" deal.   Positive for who?  For the families who have to carry on without loved ones is my focus.

I don't how I'd live with myself if I was the driver of that accident. I'd probably move to Australia and wax surfboards for the rest of my life.

And try to raise money for charity and the victims families if I could.

That would haunt you for the rest of your life.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Based on ??

That doctor killed in Vancouver was hit by a repeat offender.  Nope, some people who get away with things ignore the severity of them as a result.  Just as we don't know what he was doing...we also don't know if he'd learn from his horribly tragic "mistake".  I think sending a strong message that radiates beyond just him is important.  It's not about "him"...he wiped out a bus full of people's family members and that wasn't a "woops" deal.   Positive for who?  For the families who have to carry on without loved ones is my focus.

I can't see anyone screwing up to this degree doing this again, but that's just me.  I would trust the professionals to determine whether or not he'd learned from it.  We agree sending a message is most important, but we will just have to wait and trust the process of the courts. 

For all we know, he could have been falling asleep at the wheel due to trying to impress the boss.  The guy was a new hire and the company had a violation for excessive hours.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/humboldt-crash-truck-driver-only-driving-with-company-for-about-a-month-employer-says

In no way do I condone distracted driving.  I leave my phone in my pocket and will get out of a car if the driver won't do the same.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I can't see anyone screwing up to this degree doing this again, but that's just me.  I would trust the professionals to determine whether or not he'd learned from it.  We agree sending a message is most important, but we will just have to wait and trust the process of the courts. 

For all we know, he could have been falling asleep at the wheel due to trying to impress the boss.  The guy was a new hire and the company had a violation for excessive hours.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/humboldt-crash-truck-driver-only-driving-with-company-for-about-a-month-employer-says

In no way do I condone distracted driving.  I leave my phone in my pocket and will get out of a car if the driver won't do the same.

I just can't accept excuses for him....that sort of undermines the loss of all those young lives.  Again, THEY are the focus for me.

At twenty nine, he is an adult capable of making decisions.  I worked for a place (see that reference to truck drivers, above) that constantly tried to challenge my integrity and asked me to ignore things that tugged at my moral fibers.  I couldn't/didn't and walked away from $$ and lavish gifts and offerings to do what I felt was right.   Accountability should be in place and, especially in the case that you're trying to impress someone...they don't answer for your actions, you do.  Which is exactly what is happening here.  That would make it even less "forgivable" than if it was just a momentary lapse of judgment to, instead, be a conscientious decision to further your own agenda.  A new hire means he should start off on the right foot in accordance to what is right, not what will keep him in good standing.  No better time to recognize that...walk away if you're being asked to do things that aren't right.  No excuse.

Sadly, even if it WAS to impress a new, demanding boss...he now owns it.  Which is a good lesson to be learned here (as well). 

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Except we don't know for a fact that's what he was doing.  I'm not saying he should get off scot-free or avoid jail time altogether, but the likelihood of him re-offending is next to zero.  If there's any hope of taking anything positive at all away from this tragedy, I'd prefer we at least consider it.

similar  to the queen of the north sinking it doesn't really matter what he was doing ,its what he wasn't doing ,that being in care and control of a commercial vehIcal of up to 170.000 lbs GVW. adesh deol trucking didn't do themselves any favours by selling/giving the 1 remaining truck to his buddie to fire up another chicken.... company (numbered no doubt) only to add insult to injury.. NO REMORSE AT ALL!    a perfectly strait piece of hwy,   couldn't get much easier to keep a rig on the road , imagine this kind of'green' driver on the coquihalla summit, or rainbow summit just east of prince rupert ,WHICH IS EXACTLY what happens every winter , I know this because I've incountered this same kind of driver in the winter ,no chains, bald drives ,NO EXPERIANCE,  they have  to sentance this ,(im not going to call him a truck driver because he isn't,) to the full extent. ADESH DEOL  MADE A MOKERY OF THIS TRAGETY  with his desire to keep in business rather than do the right thing and bow out ,being well over his head in what takes to run a real trucking company.

3 minutes ago, Ojibwa72 said:

What everyone here is missing the point of in any of this discussion is this is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER. It is his duty to be the safest he can be on the road.

not everybody missed it

The driver was working for Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd., a two-truck company operating out of a home in northeast Calgary.

The company said the driver of its oversize tractor-trailer only had a year’s experience as a commercial driver and just over two weeks of training from his new employer.

“I do my best. I give the training within 15 days,” Sukhinder Singh, owner of Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd., told reporters back in April.

“I can train for the straps, secure the load — everything. But the guy has already a licence one year ago.”

Shut down this two bit two truck operation too.  "I do my best"?   For whom?  No mention of the kids or families....just self serving concern it seems:

“Lots of pressure on my mind,” he said. “My work is gone. My other truck is shut down now.”

Alberta Transportation said Tuesday it had ordered Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd. to keep its only other truck off the road. The move is standard when a company has been involved in a serious accident, the province said.

Transportation Minister Brian Mason said the company started operating last fall and hasn’t had any violations or convictions and hadn’t been in any collisions, until this one.

"My", "My", "My".  Poor baby.  What about the families that lost sons and daughters?

38 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I hear you.  I have the empathy for Sidhu but sometimes there are no positives.  If the penalties are lean and for example all Mr Sidhu has to do is speak at drivers ed seminars; that is a gross letdown of justice for the families and poses no deterrent for other drivers from irresponsible/negligent/distracted driving.

we must remember that this is a case of a commercial driver.  A driver responsible for a large vehicle.  A commercial driver needs to take ownership of the mechanical working standards of the vehicle and road safety.

I think what needs to be taken away from this is that there's a HUGE responsibility in operating rigs on our roads and highways and carnage that results from any let down in that is unacceptable.  Many people died and the lessons were should have come prior to those two vehicles colliding.   I doubt the parents of those kids will find many positives in life moving forward and so my focus stays there, with them.

19 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Shut down this two bit two truck operation too.  "I do my best"?   For whom?  No mention of the kids or families....just self serving concern it seems:

"My", "My", "My".  Poor baby.  What about the families that lost sons and daughters?

best would be do not shut them down, but make them pay the families every year. example would be if he makes 1000 000 dollars he needs to pay 50% to the families every year based on how much he makes.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

29 year old semi driver is charged with 16 counts of dangerous operation of a vehicle causing death and 13 causing bodily injured.  Remanded in custody...first court appearance set for next week.  Jaskirat Singh Sidhu of Calgary.

Canada has no justice system and hasn't since the 90s. We clearly have a LEGAL system. Lawyers just f around with the system charging excessive amounts to actually show up in court so they can charge those court appearance fees.

Judges in this country stopped giving out appropriate sentences more than two decades ago.

I know of one case where a career criminal / junkie was charged in 70 home break and enters. His first conviction in the 70s got him more jail time (2 years) then his 70th (probation). Has your house ever been broken into? Mine has and my 11 year old daughter got home after school to find the house ransacked. The criminal code says the maximum sentence for break and enter in Canada is life in prison. Our idiot judges give out no jail time (conditional sentences).

For the Humboldt case in particular, without knowing the full details, we have a 29 year old truck driver who screwed up somehow (on the phone? ran a sign? - who knows what the specifics are). This 29 year old did screw up and affected many families and killed and seriously injured many....all from some stupid action that may not, and probably not was intended. I highly doubt he had intent but that does not matter. He will get put through the ringer (court) as he should.

Other cases though...such as the case where that psycho, Vince Li, cut off the head of the bus passenger a few years ago and ate some of it. Our pathetic court system tried the guy and found "... was found not criminally responsible for beheading and cannibalising a fellow passenger on a Canadian bus".

Our brilliant Judge and court system basically let the guy go and he is free to walk around in public. Absolutely disgusting. I for one could not care less if Vince Li has mental health issues. That psycho should be locked up into a deep hole never to see the light of day again after he killed and ate part of some innocent bus travellers HEAD!! Imagine the horror he put that victim and the victim's family through. Yet he gets to walk around thanks to good ole Canada and it's legal system (don't misinterpret this -- I LOVE Canada -- I just despise its broken and pathetic legal system).

Our court system continues to let gang members and organized crime out after being tried after those scum bags kill people. Our judges are a joke.

As I stated, Canada's Justice system is non existent. We merely have a legal system. 

I feel horrible for all the families affected by Humboldt and horrible for all the lives lost. I even feel a bit bad for what is probably a normal 29 year old guy who drives a truck for a living who screwed up and caused this mess.

And we will continue to let real killers like Vince Li and gang members out to roam our streets and kill innocents.

Pathetic.

Sorry for the rant.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Canada has no justice system and hasn't since the 90s. We clearly have a LEGAL system. Lawyers just f around with the system charging excessive amounts to actually show up in court so they can charge those court appearance fees.

Judges in this country stopped giving out appropriate sentences more than two decades ago.

I know of one case where a career criminal / junkie was charged in 70 home break and enters. His first conviction in the 70s got him more jail time (2 years) then his 70th (probation). Has your house ever been broken into? Mine has and my 11 year old daughter got home after school to find the house ransacked. The criminal code says the maximum sentence for break and enter in Canada is life in prison. Our idiot judges give out no jail time (conditional sentences).

For the Humboldt case in particular, without knowing the full details, we have a 29 year old truck driver who screwed up somehow (on the phone? ran a sign? - who knows what the specifics are). This 29 year old did screw up and affected many families and killed and seriously injured many....all from some stupid action that may not, and probably not was intended. I highly doubt he had intent but that does not matter. He will get put through the ringer (court) as he should.

Other cases though...such as the case where that psycho, Vince Li, cut off the head of the bus passenger a few years ago and ate some of it. Our pathetic court system tried the guy and found "... was found not criminally responsible for beheading and cannibalising a fellow passenger on a Canadian bus".

Our brilliant Judge and court system basically let the guy go and he is free to walk around in public. Absolutely disgusting. I for one could not care less if Vince Li has mental health issues. That psycho should be locked up into a deep hole never to see the light of day again after he killed and ate part of some innocent bus travellers HEAD!! Imagine the horror he put that victim and the victim's family through. Yet he gets to walk around thanks to good ole Canada and it's legal system (don't misinterpret this -- I LOVE Canada -- I just despise its broken and pathetic legal system).

Our court system continues to let gang members and organized crime out after being tried after those scum bags kill people. Our judges are a joke.

As I stated, Canada's Justice system is non existent. We merely have a legal system. 

I feel horrible for all the families affected by Humboldt and horrible for all the lives lost. I even feel a bit bad for what is probably a normal 29 year old guy who drives a truck for a living who screwed up and caused this mess.

And we will continue to let real killers like Vince Li and gang members out to roam our streets and kill innocents.

Pathetic.

Sorry for the rant.

right people who have done worst stuff are walking free. We need a change in the system. This was just careless drving. He should be stripped of a driving licence for his life, People who commit murder are walking free and a person who commits a driving error is jailed, something is wrong. 

Here's the thing - throwing the book at this guy accomplishes little. Because whatever exactly he did, it was likely something that happens thousands of times per day in this country, and usually with little to no consequences.

If you really think this is a serious matter that needs more attention, then you should be in favour of increased penalties and surveillance for all major traffic offenses. More punishment for the action, rather than just the result. Should there be more photo radar, and traffic light cameras? Perhaps even more monitoring of stop signs? Should current fines and penalties for speeding, running red lights, and distracted driving be doubled? Tripled?

Most people I know would balk at the suggestion. But the fact of the matter is, this was a terrible tragedy because the size of the two vehicles and the number of passengers involved. But any one of you could just as easily take out a family in a minivan with your vehicle. And if you really want people to change, you need to punish the action, not just the rare time it results in severe consequences.

38 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Back when I worked for a certain financial institution, I worked a lot with small business owners, many of whom were truck drivers who ran 2-4 trucks. And to be honest, there’s only so much that small business truck owners like him do. This guy, like majority (see: all) of small trucking businesses, wouldn’t provide their drivers with long haul truck driving training, as they aren’t usually certified to provide the training. That’s usually done by a third party long haul training company. 

As for indiviual training? I can’t say what he would provide in a “15 day training session.” But considering he gives a 15 day training session to drivers that are already certified, that’s 15 days more than other drivers get when signing onto an independent trucking company.

For example, both my neighbors are truck drivers who drive for an ex-client of mine who also lives down the street. When he started his business 6 years ago, he ran one other truck. He’s now up to 9. He doesn’t provide any additional training that’s not required by law. He hires guys that completed their long haul license and have some experience driving for another company, large (ie: Gardewine) or small.

Long story short, the guy who owns the company likely provided, at least from what I’m familiar with in my province, with more training than he’s required to.

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

He charged the Stop sign. It's pretty obvious from looking at the crash site photos.

Yup.  Driver didn’t want to take the time to gear down, and stop.  Then start back up again, going through all the gears.  I bet the trucker was running through these stop signs all the way.  

1 hour ago, Ojibwa72 said:

What everyone here is missing the point of in any of this discussion is this is supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER. It is his duty to be the safest he can be on the road.

And who are they that determine who becomes a "professional driver" if they themselves try to cheat the system by lowering the standards for profit or gain?

Archived