The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis TSN 1040 Interview

Qwags

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Sounds like Gillis was thinking some changes were needed after 2012? I thought at that time that the team in hand wouldn't win and it would be time to make some moves while you still can, I would guess based on these comments that the owners kept that from happening.

Sounds like that was the case from this quote:

Gillis on 2012: "We were coming to that conclusion, that it was rapidly approaching that we would get top value for players and that we had to evolve as an organization and make changes. That was the intent, but things intervened."

I think the owners will never allow for a rebuild until it's too late.

I think Gillis' shortfall was really the drafting. Maybe the goalie debacle... but I blame Betman more than Gillis for changing the playing field. Without the cap-recapture, Luongo should have been easily traded and should have gotten you a 1st round pick like Schneider. People criticize NTC/NMCs but they give you a way to sign players at lower prices so that was the risk that Gillis took to complete the roster and that team was really fun to watch. 

I actually felt in 2012 we had a good team that could have easily contended but we tried too hard to turn from a speedy/skilled team to a bruising team like Boston. We changed the atmosphere way too much and it screwed us. 2012 in my opinion would have been WAYYYYY too early to blow everything up. Still had a lot of the core in their primes. We just needed a different angle on sustainable talent. 

I listened to the full thing. It actually clarified a lot of that period 08-14'. I know Gillis's answers were vague for the most part, but my takeaways were:

- interference of ownership; in the Torts hiring and redirection from skilled team to beefy one

- wanted to fire scouting staff sooner

- focused on the x factors - getting the most performance of everyone, management/executives included

- high praise for Eric Crawford

- focus on playing the game the right way

- quip on how Kassian is still in the league - enjoyed that!

- Hodgson situation due to poor agent advice - something now confirmed

Anyways, i actually really enjoyed the conversation, a rare thing considering 1040. 

18 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Interesting how he said he doesn't watch the Canucks nowadays.

We have been the worst team statistically, while also being boring & unwatchable over the past three seasons. It's objective. 

He likes Pettersson, though.

Then again, who wouldn't lol. That guy is a franchise player.

Gillis deserved to be fired after 2014. Those last two seasons were not managed well, regardless of ownership interference. 

But I would take him back in a second. 

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

For all the bitchin’ about Gillis, he did assemble a great group that made it to the finals. And imo, the most talented and cohesive group ever in canucks history. Just to clarify, I am 53 yrs old and watched all 3 finals, regardless of what others say about the 94 run, the 2011 team was the best.

For all his drafting blunders, Gillis won more trades than not. Best deal IMO was the Erhoff for Patrick White. Erhoff took the team to the next level. Really makes you think what could've been of the 2011, the best Canuck team ever assembled. They were tops in pretty much every category, PK, goals for, best GAA, and an absolutely devastating PP that can end games within a few minutes and come out with the W

38 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

We have been the worst team statistically, while also being boring & unwatchable over the past three seasons. It's objective. 

He likes Pettersson, though.

Then again, who wouldn't lol. That guy is a franchise player.

Gillis deserved to be fired after 2014. Those last two seasons were not managed well, regardless of ownership interference. 

But I would take him back in a second. 

Gillis was caught up with the ghost of the Bruins series, always wanting the team to be bigger and bruising after the finals but it coincided with the NHL game shifting to smaller, skilled and most of all, faster. Add to the absolutely terrible drafting (Alex Mallet in the 2nd round who was UNRANKED by most scouts, Nick Jensen over Brandon Saad), the team was doomed and staring at a rebuild square in the eyes

3 hours ago, Qwags said:
This is an interview for the ages. Whether you liked him or hated him, I believe Gillis gives a sense of closure to the Sedin era.

Was one of the best interviews ever I think cause we've wanted this for so long.

really great interview 

8 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

regardless of what others say about the 94 run, the 2011 team was the best.

Anyone that argues the 94 team was better is wearing nostalgia glasses. The 2011 team was statistically one of the best teams in modern NHL history. We just caught a terrible match-up and the eye of a massive conflict of interest stemming from NHL head office right down to the refs. Tampa got screwed the round before in the exact same way.

1 hour ago, mephnick said:

Anyone that argues the 94 team was better is wearing nostalgia glasses. The 2011 team was statistically one of the best teams in modern NHL history. We just caught a terrible match-up and the eye of a massive conflict of interest stemming from NHL head office right down to the refs. Tampa got screwed the round before in the exact same way.

In a 7 game series, I’d take the 94 team, thanks. 

I noticed how he kept emphasizing mobile puck moving d that could transition the puck quickly...and how that was a major ingredient in their success.

Contrast that with today....muffin shots from the point, panic break out passes that hardly connect, no legit pp qb....adding a prime time Erhoff and Salo would probably result in 10 more wins.

regarding 94 vs 2011 teams.  its debatable.  2011 probably had more talent on the whole, 94 had the best player (Pavel) and Linden at his peak...and probably wouldnt get roughed up like the 2011 team did....wonder if EA could simulate that series..lol..

Archived