The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The maturing of Bo Horvat

*Buzzsaw*

Well the kid's 23.

It's now his 5th season in the NHL... how time flys.  ;)

Last year he was showing the player he had become when he came down with his injury.

This year he continues to improve.

He is now a complete player.. still room for improvement in the defensive game, and he is still learning how to use his wingers... but make no mistake... Bo is someone any coach in the NHL would trade for at a the drop of a hat.

He is on track for a 30+ goal season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 60 points.  He dominates the faceoff circle, is physical, can probably fight and win against anyone who wants to challenge him, and has the ability to turn a game around single handed with a solo goal scoring rush.  He can play on the Power Play or as a Penalty killer.  He is still learning his craft as a shut down center, but is improving all the time.  He is a natural leader who inspires his team.

He is a bonafide top level center ice man... either high #2 or #1... of course, it looks like we already have Pettersson ready for the #1 position... but Bo is good enough to move up... he is almost interchangeable.

23 years old folks... still gonna get better... you can put money on that.  ;)

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Well the kid's 23.

Last year he was showing the player he had become when he came down with his injury.

He is now a complete player.. still room for improvement in the defensive game, and he is still learning how to use his wingers... but make no mistake... Bo is someone any coach in the NHL would trade for at a the drop of a hat.

He is on track for a 30+ goal season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 60 points.  He dominates the faceoff circle, is physical, can probably fight and win against anyone who wants to challenge him, and has the ability to turn a game around single handed with a solo goal scoring rush.  He can play on the Power Play or as a Penalty killer.  He is still learning his craft as a shut down center, but is improving all the time.  He is a natural leader who inspires his team.

He is a bonafide top level center ice man... either high #2 or #1... of course, it looks like we already have Pettersson ready for the #1 position... but Bo is good enough to move up... he is almost interchangeable.

Yup.  If a .canuck’s doesn’t love ?Boys, he’s a friggin’ moron. 

Bo's performance tonight, even with all the penalties, should be a reminder to 30 other NHL teams that you can't just focus on shutting down Elias and co because Bo Horvat will burn your ass. Can't wait til we get a healthy Brock back, it'll make us that much harder to defend against.

10 minutes ago, timmylu1 said:

BA9ED65E-163B-44C7-A940-C465FA9269AD.jpeg

Green envisions the exact same role for Horvat that WD did.

This was Green tonight on Horvat: "I think he's been carrying a heavy load here for a bit. He's playing the way we envision him, where he's able to produce and go against top line centers"

WD has always said that he sees Horvat as a C that can play against any top line in the league and produce while shutting them down.

12 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

You need a player like this to win you championships. If he keeps this up, he should be nominated for the Selke.

Due to poor team defense and poor goaltending (hurting his underlying stats) I don't think he'll get the nods around the league for it, but I was thinking exactly this during the game against Boston. With the loss of Sutter and Beagle he has been leaned on pretty heavily to take faceoffs for other lines, including a 40 faceoff night against Detroit. 55% faceoff percentage on the year. 15 points in 17 games, 9 of which are goals. Kid is a stud. Only thing is he has 4 takeaways and 11 giveaways on the season. Not terrible but not something that'll favour him in the Selke convo. Overall he's been really, really good this season for us though. Selke nomination or not.

I'm liking how the Canucks are shaping out down the middle for the future.  Horvat is one of those uber-special, team-first, do-the-heavy-lifting, players that can do it all (and do it all very well). 

I'm an old guy, so offensively, he reminds me of Jacques Lemaire (Guy Lafleur got all the love, but Lemaire was the guy who made Lafleur shine) or Bryan Trottier (who was the same for Mike Bossy)...defensively he reminds me of Pat Bergeron, Jonathan Toews and Doug Jarvis.  Horvat is as good, if not better than Ryan O'Reily, without all the contract drama. 

Gonna go out on a limb and state that the the Pettersson-Horvat combo will be as good as the Sedin-Kesler combo.

31 minutes ago, mll said:

Green envisions the exact same role for Horvat that WD did.

This was Green tonight on Horvat: "I think he's been carrying a heavy load here for a bit. He's playing the way we envision him, where he's able to produce and go against top line centers"

WD has always said that he sees Horvat as a C that can play against any top line in the league and produce while shutting them down.

WD was terrible! Bo was the only guy in the league to be leading his team in points yet not be on the number one PP.

2 more years and he may be entering his NHL peak. scary to think in today's NHL.

Hopefully, he continues to grow into his late 20's but you never know in today's NHL. He definitely has the mentality to be in shape but after a while, you reach your offensive max capacity. Crazy to think Bo could even be close to that phase in the next few years.

Hopefully, we get a good 5-8 years out of a peak Horvat. He's 23 now if he hits his prime next season or the year after hopefully he plays very good for those 8 years leading him into the age of 32/33. Crazy to think Bo is close to 25 already. I remember his first face-off vs Colorado like it was yesterday.

5 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I'm liking how the Canucks are shaping out down the middle for the future.  Horvat is one of those uber-special, team-first, do-the-heavy-lifting, players that can do it all (and do it all very well). 

I'm an old guy, so offensively, he reminds me of Jacques Lemaire (Guy Lafleur got all the love, but Lemaire was the guy who made Lafleur shine) or Bryan Trottier (who was the same for Mike Bossy)...defensively he reminds me of Pat Bergeron, Jonathan Toews and Doug Jarvis.  Horvat is as good, if not better than Ryan O'Reily, without all the contract drama. 

Gonna go out on a limb and state that the the Pettersson-Horvat combo will be as good as the Sedin-Kesler combo.

Good call. And as you rightly stated, without all the drama....

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Well the kid's 23.

We are witnessing the rebirth of Gretzky-Messier combo.

Horvat had a fantasy stat line dream game last night. It was a pleasure to watch. He's also the only forward on the team who can win a goddamn faceoff (seriously, how has Vancouver still failed to adequately address this weakness?) so he's more integral than ever. Love Bo. 

46 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Horvat had a fantasy stat line dream game last night. It was a pleasure to watch. He's also the only forward on the team who can win a goddamn faceoff (seriously, how has Vancouver still failed to adequately address this weakness?) so he's more integral than ever. Love Bo. 

You are aware both Beagle and Sutter are injured, right? 

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not to mention that Pettersson is not doing THAT badly in his first year in the NHL - which typically is not kind to faceoff stats.

I think our faceoffs are just fine - when healthy.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

This season only Horvat is above 50% but it's not going to stay that way.  Beagle is at 46% overall and at 31% on the PK.  Sutter is at 47% overall and 45% on the PK.  Last season Beagle was 54% on the PK and 60% overall.

With both Sutter and Beagle out - Granlund is at 11% on the PK, Roussel at 43% (3 on 7).  Horvat at 50%.  

As for last game - everyone was above 50% save for Roussel (2 for 5) and for Granlund, but 7 for 15 is pretty much breakeven, although in the d-zone he was under 30%. 

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Not to mention that Pettersson is not doing THAT badly in his first year in the NHL - which typically is not kind to faceoff stats.

I think our faceoffs are just fine - when healthy.

Pettersson - 47% after a slow start.  MacKinnon 39%, McDavid 46%, Hischier 41%.  

9 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

You are so wrong, wow, such disrespect. They will be better :bigblush:

Archived