The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WSH Wilson Getting Bullied by Reaves

Shekky

Can't say I am not too surprised by this who knows maybe its Karma. Tom Wilson is back in the picture as he gets body checked by a much bigger player in Reaves and then gets a blindside hit later in the game. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/golden-knights-ryan-reaves-ejected-blindside-hit-capitals-tom-wilson/

Vegas Golden Knights forward Ryan Reaves was ejected from Tuesday’s game against the Washington Capitals after a late hit on Tom Wilson.

The blindside hit occurred late in the second period, and sent Wilson’s helmet flying. He did not have the puck at the time of the play, and was in a vulnerable position as he was turned away from Reaves and clearly did not see the Golden Knight coming. Wilson, who appeared to be shaken up on the play, stayed down on the ice before being helped off by teammates. The team officially ruled him out for the remainder of the game.

Reaves was issued a five-minute major penalty for interference, and was ejected.

Reaves and Wilson had been battling all game, with the pair getting into a scuffle in the first period after Reaves knocked Wilson down twice in the same shift.

The NHL’s department of player safety hasn’t yet commented on the play, but it seems likely the incident will be looked at.

Well the blindside hit was late, for sure. But at least it was all body. Tom Wilson got his ass rocked, hit so hard the shock knocked his &^@#ing helmet off. Crushing.

Not sure I'd live through that. 

The double take down shift though. Reaves owned him. Too bad Reaves is such a dick, was a beauty shift.

Kind of hate Reaves a bit, but those hits were beautiful, aside from being late. Prime examples of how legal hits can still be devastating.

EDIT:

Just saw the hit at a better angle that he was thrown out for. Looks to be late, but no head contact. To me that's a 2-minute interference or maybe a 5-minute major at worst. I'm pretty sure blindside hits were taken out of the language for illegal hits a few years ago, meaning that the only rule Reaves broke was interference.

The 2x hit in one shift was pretty nice.  Past April it'd be "good rugged hockey".  

I'd love a guy like that on the team, true heavyweight who's mobile and can play some.  Say we homed him in on the opponent's star D-man on the forecheck to throw them off their game and we would be gold, (not saying he's that good but impact wise) something like Buff vs. Pronger from that Chicago - Philly cup final years ago.

I honestly don't think that it was any worse than a two minute interference penalty. This is a play where the refs called the penalty based on the result rather than the act. It's late, but it's shoulder to shoulder, and the only reason people are labeling it as blind-side is because Wilson turns away from Reaves almost directly before he gets hit. It's like Wilson sees him coming and  thinks "there's no way he'll hit me now" and turns away, only to get nailed by a hit that he himself has made on countless occasions. The most dangerous component of the hit is probably that Wilson's helmet wasn't on well enough to protect him. It just flies off and leaves his head at the mercy of the ice (spoiler alert, not even the Titanic could take on a big block of frozen H2O).

I don't like to see any player hurt, especially knowing what we do about the long-term effects of concussions, but it's hard for anyone to say that Wilson didn't have it coming to him based on how many sketchy hits he's doled out. When you cross  the line so often, you invite others to cross it as well. Hopefully this time Wilson will learn the lesson that his suspensions haven't taught him. When you run around with no regard for the safety of others, you put yourself at risk as well.  Players need to care about the safety of everyone for their own sake.

Hard to feel bad for the guy when he has done a lot worse and doesn't want to learn to not do it anymore. Plus the hit Reaves did was Shoulder on Shoulder not Reaves fault Wilson hit his head after falling on the ice since his helmet came off his head rather easily.

1 hour ago, DADDYROCK said:

I don't remember anyone saying a damn thing when Reaves blindsided Edler.

Reaves is a big boy that goes around popping players because nobody is going to do anything about it, because the dude is huge,case closed.

The guy is a goon, but he can play as well.

6'1 225 isn't exactly "huge" in today's NHL. Nobody (well a select few) won't do anything about it because he is an excellent fighter, not because of his stature. 

Reaves was never a full out true goon. He didn't even start racking up the PIM's and fights till his 2nd year in the AHL when he realized that was the only way he would make and stick in the show. 

I'd really love to see Reaves and Lucic have a go. Obviously my money is on Reaves, but I'd still like to see it happen. 

Archived