The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*UPDATE* Elias Pettersson Has Slight MCL Sprain

Zigmund.Palffy

25 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Pretty much yeah, not the way Don does.

Don's been around since the 30's, imagine all of the things he has done and seen.  Who cares if he messes things up and has outrageous takes once in awhile, he's actually right a lot of the time to.  The guy get's like 4 minutes of air time a week and people are still disrespecting him

The man should be respected because of his age not ridiculed for it.  It's just sad, I see it on the internet all the time.

Respect, first and foremost, should come when people do respectful things, not simply through merit of being old. As nice of a thought it may be to put the whole "respect your elders" idea into play, if an elder abuses that very respect he gets he doesn't deserve it.

Based on that, I understand he does a lot of charity work and I respect him for that; however, I don't respect how obnoxious and illogical he gets at times.

7 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Hockey had changed. Super stars are being physically abused more because there are no more enforcers. 

McDavid also gets a lot of abuse. Much more than EP. 

Yesterday vs Ducks he was cross checked from behind into boards.  He's much stronger than EP tho and saved him self. 

EP will also get stronger and put on a few pounds of weight for next season. 

Something needs to change or stars will continue to be abused. 

The NHL needs a new commissioner who is actually concerned about the safety of the players in the league.

The NHLPA needs a headstrong president who will speak out against the pathetic Department of Player Safety.

The officials that presently work NHL games need to be held accountable for not doing their jobs effectively by some independent body that penalizes or suspends them for poor performance. Presently they have free reign to do as they please, and the majority of the referees and linesmen in the NHL are woefully ineffective and bad at their jobs.

If those three things are achieved, I can see there being some headway on these issues. But the likelihood of that happening is...well........not very likely.

17 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Let's try this again. Don was also extremely complementary of Pettersson and he expressed his dislike of Petey not getting protection. 

20190107_090428.jpg

Only difference is he isn't protected...

Wonder who can fit in the line up and protect him? Trade for a bruising power forward maybe? Would Jake Virtanen eventually fit the bill?

2 hours ago, Matt_T83 said:

I agree with all that. I agree that Don Cherry is right 95% of the time, and doesn't get enough credit for his opinions. 

I also think we need enforcers. It's open season on star players. The only alternative is to suspend based on injury & salary. If you injure a star player on an interference play, it's automatically 5-10 games, you get double that if it's intentional, and double again if you're a repeat offender. 

Personally I think anyone taking a cheap shot at star players should have their teeth fed to them.

Big problem here,

scenario - Career AHL player gets called up to the NHL, gets the NHL rate of pay, goes out and slashes the best player on the other team's wrist and breaks it, The Canuck players look around, skate over, scold him then he is thrown out of the game. Now the AHL player gets his NHL suspension at his NHL salary, BOOM he gets a raise and a holiday, for a stiff letter from the league.

Cherry isn't the only one who could see this, it is really cut throat hockey but team's have won the cup because of stuff like this, another of Cherry's items, the length of the glove cuff is too short.

Could you imagine an AHL player really hacking some star player and getting a 25+ game suspension at his NHL salary? He gets a scolding, a note, a raise and a holiday or if his name is Wilson or Reeves, a huge contract. Or just goes back to the AHL after the suspension and continues to play after.

Now if the guy knew he was going to get his nose pushed to the side of his face he might just think twice.

On 1/7/2019 at 2:25 PM, The 5th Line said:

Deb you think he messes up names on purpose? :picard:

Call me when you're 80 so I can see how your pronunciation is doing

As a profession he’s suppose to do this best to pronounce names since most of his content is well prepared for before the game. And it’s also not about him doing it on purpose, he’s been doing for over 30 years!  As a kid I’ve noticed let alone still butchering names to this date.  Of course this is not the main reason why some Canuck fans have animosity towards him.  I’ve even noticed before I became an adult that for some reason he seems to dislike Europeans.  Guys a racist, and a bigot.  What he recently said with pettersson looking for trouble says it all.  All you dc suckers can take a hike.

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Deb, I have news for you. Grapes was also extremely complimentary of Petey and was critical about his lack of protection. 

He's entitled to his viewpoints like everybody else - agree with him or not.

We, as a society, need to stop being P.C. crybabies. 

20190107_090428.jpg

When did he say that?  Because it wasn't Saturday night. 

Gotta link to that tweet? Cause I can only find it on Reddit by some random poster. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/canucks/comments/adit7l/don_cherry_on_elias_pettersson_boy_does_he_remind/

3 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Gotta link to that tweet? Cause I can only find it on Reddit by some random poster. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/canucks/comments/adit7l/don_cherry_on_elias_pettersson_boy_does_he_remind/

Not sure. The tweet did come out today. 

The main thing is Pettersson does have Don's respect. Comparison to Gretzky...that's a HUGE compliment coming from Don.

11 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

The main thing is Pettersson does have Don's respect. Comparison to Gretzky...that's a HUGE compliment coming from Don.

He does compliment players from western Canadian teams, we are not stupid.  But it’s rare, and we don’t expect it.  His pettersson compliments game after EVERYONE started the pettersson hype train.  Do you recall him saying something about the sedins ?

3 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I get suspicious when people post screen shots of tweets. 

Regardless, I'm not saying he didn't give him this praise. He had praised him in the past as well. 

Doesn't change the fact that he said something incredibly stupid on Saturday night...

“He’s got to stop looking for trouble,” said Cherry. “He was looking for trouble there and it (injury) wouldn’t have happened. The guy got him down and just held on to him. He’s got to stop looking for trouble because if you do that in the National Hockey League, you’ll find it.”  

Link

Just a stupid thing to say.

People calling him out for it doesn't mean their "crying"... their just calling him out.

4 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Do you recall him saying something about the sedins ?

This is about Pettersson, not the Sedins. The twins are enjoying retirement and family life. 

4 minutes ago, Canorth said:

I get suspicious when people post screen shots of tweets. 

Regardless, I'm not saying he didn't give him this praise. He had praised him in the past as well. 

Doesn't change the fact that he said something incredibly stupid on Saturday night...

“He’s got to stop looking for trouble,” said Cherry. “He was looking for trouble there and it (injury) wouldn’t have happened. The guy got him down and just held on to him. He’s got to stop looking for trouble because if you do that in the National Hockey League, you’ll find it.”  

Link

Just a stupid thing to say.

People calling him out for it doesn't mean their "crying"... their just calling him out.

Just turning the glass half empty into a glass half full. Didn't agree with Grapes' comment but I'm far more concerned with Petey's MCL than what someone else said. Time to move on.

28 minutes ago, Canorth said:

This was said on Sportsnet 650 this morning, there's probably the entire interview up on their site now.

It’s comical the people jumping all over Cherry for the Pettersson comment. Donny is well past his best before date but he has shown plenty of love to various Canucks over the years which is surprising  considering who he works for. To call him a racist and a bigot is extreme. My grandpa is 82 years old and he shares that same old school hockey mentality where Euro’s are soft and good ol Canadian boys are what makes the league go round. I can argue all day with him how he is incorrect and, but it’s pointless because he isn’t going to change his opinion at his age. Canuck fans are soooooo quick to jump on any media outlet criticizing our beloved Canucks but are the first ones to throw shade at any other Canadian team. The insecurity around here is laughable.

I for one take anything Don says with a grain of salt. Please, the guy is a cultural icon and the most recognizable figure in hockey media worldwide. He may not always be right (often) , but cut him some slack here. 

44 minutes ago, Pickly said:

It’s comical the people jumping all over Cherry for the Pettersson comment. Donny is well past his best before date but he has shown plenty of love to various Canucks over the years which is surprising  considering who he works for. To call him a racist and a bigot is extreme. My grandpa is 82 years old and he shares that same old school hockey mentality where Euro’s are soft and good ol Canadian boys are what makes the league go round. I can argue all day with him how he is incorrect and, but it’s pointless because he isn’t going to change his opinion at his age. Canuck fans are soooooo quick to jump on any media outlet criticizing our beloved Canucks but are the first ones to throw shade at any other Canadian team. The insecurity around here is laughable.

I for one take anything Don says with a grain of salt. Please, the guy is a cultural icon and the most recognizable figure in hockey media worldwide. He may not always be right (often) , but cut him some slack here. 

38 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Exactly.  Same with my gramps, he thinks Europeans shouldn't be allowed to play in our junior leagues because it takes those opportunities away from our Canadian kids.  Grapes grew up in the 40's and 50's, give the guy a break.  

I think most grandpas are probably like that. Doesn’t make them right though. “It was a different time” is such a catch-all reason to do and say asinine things. And I think it’s a stretch of the imagination to say that it stops at hockey for these geezers. 

Edit: That being said, just ignore him! I don’t actually expect it to change. 

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Wow, just wow.  This is Don Cherry we are talking about, right?   He has done more than his fair share, and still is at his ripe old age. Pretty sure it all makes up for ome comments you guys don't like on his 4 minutes of air time he get's per week.   

You clearly didn't read my second paragraph where I clearly mentioned that I respect his charity work; however, like I said, I do not respect his antics which I think is fair.

If you don't think that's fair, I don't really care. I'm not here to impress you and I'm certainly not here to be a fanboy of a celebrity of whom I can barely stand listening to on TV in the first place.

22 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You don't respect him because of his antics at the age of 80, despite all he has done for the country?   I'm not saying we have to respect him because he's old, we should respect him for what he has has done for charity and the game of hockey, and the fact that he's old means we should give him the benefit of the doubt when he does say something illogical.   Instead, people get triggered and call him a useless old man.  

??? Are you ignoring people? He’s been doing since the mid 90s when he wasn’t in his 80s.  Why do you continue to defend him and justify his antics because he’s 80? Fans that have seen him on the air for over 25 years are filing these complaints right now!  This pettersson incident is truly not the first, he has yet the even acknowledge the sedins! 

Wow 3 pages of Don Cherry bashing. He gave Petersson some huge props before, and like it or not - pushback isnt Pete's game. While he shouldn't be taking $&!# from molefaceniemi, the better decision would have been to go and get revenge on the scoresheet. He really doesnt have the build to get caught up in the boards in a shoving match, much like Gretzky.

As far as Cherry goes, hes an institution and knows more about hockey than any of you ever will. Old school, borderline racist, sure. But when hes gone Hockey Night in Canada is going to be much less entertaining and HONEST.

Seriously get over it people, all the whining over his comment makes us all look like a bunch of crybabies.

3 hours ago, Davathor said:

Wow 3 pages of Don Cherry bashing. He gave Petersson some huge props before, and like it or not - pushback isnt Pete's game. While he shouldn't be taking $&!# from molefaceniemi, the better decision would have been to go and get revenge on the scoresheet. He really doesnt have the build to get caught up in the boards in a shoving match, much like Gretzky.

As far as Cherry goes, hes an institution and knows more about hockey than any of you ever will. Old school, borderline racist, sure. But when hes gone Hockey Night in Canada is going to be much less entertaining and HONEST.

Seriously get over it people, all the whining over his comment makes us all look like a bunch of crybabies.

Well said. Much of what Cherry says I agree with. There's also a healthy portion I don't. You need to listen with an open mind and take him with a grain of (old school) salt at times.

As much as I respect Petey for wanting to push back, until he adds some muscle to fill out his frame, he's unlikely to win most battles. I felt that was really Cherry's point saying "looking for trouble". He wasn't injured because he was hooked, he was injured because he tried to push back (looking for trouble).

Archived